What's new

Operation Rah-e-Rast (Swat)

Editorial: A broader front against Taliban

May 19, 2009

President Asif Ali Zardari said Sunday that the Pakistan Army would be going into other tribal areas of the country in the hunt for the Taliban. He explained that the army had 150,000 troops there and it was already costing a billion dollars; an expansion would depend on how much the world would want to help. The collateral fallout will include more refugees, but then their quick return would depend very much on the success of the army operations. And for all this the world would have to help financially because Pakistan was in the eye of a global Taliban threat.

For the first time, Pakistan seems to be truly grasped of the situation. The operation in Swat is going well, judging from the very favourable casualty count of the enemy. But all analysts agree that the dwindling Taliban force will in time be reinforced from other parts of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) that abut on Malakand Division. Also, for the first time there is almost a complete national consensus behind the plan to start wider operations. In fact, for the first time, the religious-clerical community has voiced its opposition to the Taliban brand of Islam, or at least the majority school of thought has dared to speak against a force that has hounded them over the years into submission.

There are, however, political problems within this consensus that will have to be faced squarely. The political parties have overt and covert agendas which they insist on expressing through various levels of “objection” to the military operation. From the extreme view, that our army is merely fighting America’s war and killing its own people, to the less extreme view that some parties were not consulted to avoid “talking” to the Taliban, the disagreement is very much there and can become more strident in the face of the attrition of fighting an insurgency involving foreign infiltrators.

The way the people at large have reacted to the savagery of the Taliban against the people of Swat is sure to make the resolve to fight the terrorists more firm. The resolve to take on the Taliban in FATA clearly demonstrates this new confidence. The Taliban must be stopped from coming to the help of warlord Fazlullah, and that can be done only by engaging the other warlord Baitullah Mehsud. Swat can be “conquered” and the refugees could start returning, only to find that Baitullah has sent in his people from South Waziristan to start the massacre all over again.

The triangle of discord in Karachi over the presence or non-presence of the Taliban in the mega-city unfolds with three coalition partners in the government steadily losing their men to “unknown” killers. After muhajirs and Pashtuns, now the PPP leaders at the local level are getting killed. Sadly, the three parties suspect one another of having carried out the killings. The MQM is seen as being alarmist about the swelling of the Taliban ranks in Karachi but, despite reports supporting this point of view, the other two insist that the Pashtun of Karachi are not terrorists. The police, however, go on reporting the arrest of Al Qaeda and Taliban leaders and their rank and file who confess that their men come to Karachi to get medical treatment and to take rest.

International opinion has turned in favour of Pakistan since the military operation began in Malakand Division. This is understandable because the policy of “talking” to the Taliban and making “peace deals” with them was seen, correctly, by world leaders as a policy of dereliction. When Islamabad and Rawalpindi decided finally to grasp the nettle of Taliban treachery, this opinion softened and is now inclined to help Pakistan financially as its army mobilises.

Therefore, for now at least, Pakistan is well set to face up to the menace of the Taliban without taking an economic nosedive. It now depends on our internecine politicians to keep the national consensus against terrorism intact and bite the bullet of some collateral damage in the coming days

Clinton announces $ 100 million for Swat IDPs, vows sustained US support for ally

WASHINGTON, May 19 (APP): The United States on Tuesday announced $ 100 million in humanitarian relief aid for Pakistanis displaced following insurgent violence and Islamabad’s military drive to purge the northwestern Swat valley and adjoining areas of Taliban militants. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, making the announcement at the White House, said the US stands by the people of Pakistan and the democratic government in their struggle against insurgents.

The assistance will help meet some basic requirements of people encamped under hot weather, she said.

The United States and Pakistan face a common threat, a common challenge and a common task, she said.

Clinton saw a determined effort by the Pakistani government to flush out militants and acknowledged an across the board political backing for the anti‑militant campaign.

“The democratic government and the Opposition have realized the threat” from the militants getting closer to Islamabad, she said, applauding the democratic government’s efforts to secure political support for the natioanl anti‑Taliban drive.

“There is national mood change on the part of the Pakistani people.”There is a recognition that this is no longer a part remote from Pakistan major city areas, she added.

Pakistani institutions will succeed in their anti‑terror effort if the international community supports them in the endeavor. The people of Pakistan have shown their resolve and now it is up to the world to demonstrate its support for Pakistan, she underscored.

She also asked Americans to contribute to the US humanitarian aid for Pakistan by taking part in a text messaging initiative.

Also, she said, the US will help buy wheat locally to help the people.

The chief US diplomat said the Obama Administration is engaged with Pakistan in wide‑ranging areas and working with its democratic government, the people and military to help it ride out challenges facing it in the form of violent extremism.

“The future of Pakistan is extremely important to the security of the United States,” she stated.

At the same time Clinton reminded the world that the US and international community were also partly responsible for the situation Pakistan finds itself in with regard to al‑Qaeda and Taliban extremists.

“I think that it is fair to say that our policy toward Pakistan over the last 30 years has been incoherent,” she said. “I mean, I don’t know any other word to use.”

The US, she said, turned its back on Pakistan once the Soviet Union left Afghanistan after the two countries ‑Pakistan and the U.S.‑

supported the “Mujahideen” in the 1980s and then Washington abandoned Pakistan alone to deal with a spate of problems.

Pakistan, the biggest victim of terrorism in the last two years, is looking after around 1.5 million internally displaced persons, who had to leave their homes in the wake of insurgent violence and the resultant governmentÆ action.

Islamabad decided to move against militants after the Taliban fighters tried to spread their influence in the northwestern areas following a peace arrangement to enforce law and order in the scenic Swat valley. But the Taliban refused to lay down arms and instead started scaring people in Buner and Lower Dir areas.

Pakistan is a key anti‑terror partner of the international community, having deployed more than 100,000 troops on its Afghan border to check militant movement. According to the State Department annual terrorism assessment Pakistan remained the major victim of terrorism last year

Courtesy: PakArmyChannel

Excellent lyrics!! plus includes clips of SWAT operation
Watch for atleast first 15 seconds.

May Allah help us in these turbulent & chaotic times.....Ameen

Last edited by a moderator:
Three foreign extremists arrested in Bajaur Agency
Updated at: 1610 PST, Wednesday, May 20, 2009
PESHAWAR: Three key foreign militants have been captured while traveling to Dir from Bajaur Agency.

According to security sources, three militants have been arrested during checking at Alizai and Persh check posts. They are reportedly belonged to Tajikistan. Security personnel shifted them at undisclosed location for investigation. Security has further tightened at check posts after the arrests.

remember talibans said a few days back that now they will call their tajik and uzbek friends to come for their help.

Updated at: 1610 PST, Wednesday, May 20, 2009
PESHAWAR: Three key foreign militants have been captured while traveling to Dir from Bajaur Agency.

According to security sources, three militants have been arrested during checking at Alizai and Persh check posts. They are reportedly belonged to Tajikistan. Security personnel shifted them at undisclosed location for investigation. Security has further tightened at check posts after the arrests.

remember talibans said a few days back that now they will call their tajik and uzbek friends to come for their help.
under no circumstances can this become an international jihad i think afghanistan is purely to blame for double dealing with this and allowing thier soil for this movement of foreigners

Security forces get hold of Sultanwas, Biani Baba Ziarat, Matta town; 80 terrorists killed

ISLAMABAD, May 20 (APP): Security Forces have cleared Sultanwas after intense clashes while 80 terrorists were killed during clearance of the area, Director General ISPR Major General Athar Abass said in a media briefing on Operation Rah‑e‑Rast, here on Wednesday. He said six vehicles of militants, which were under their, were also destroyed during the operation. Meanwhile, the ISPR confirmed that the security forces have successfully secured the Binai Baba Ziarat, near Shangla, a stronghold and a main terrorist den in the area. During the operation, the terrorists suffered heavy causalities.

In Matta, the security forces after crushing stiff resistance by militants, fanned them out and took over the portions in the town.

Minister for Information and Broadcasting Qamar Zaman Kaira, Secretary Information and Broadcasting Ashfaq Ahmed Gondal and Principal Information Officer Shabbir Anwar were also present.

The Director General ISPR said that during the clearance of Sultanwas, the security forces encountered seven IEDs which were effectively defused. Sultanwas was main stronghold of terrorist‑miscreants in Buner, where they have made concrete underground bunkers and ammunition dumps.

The local populace of Sultanwas had posed severe resistance to the terrorists and they were unable to get their positions in the area. But later, the terrorists through an effective suicide attack had taken over the positions.

He said one soldier embraced Shahadat while 9 others were injured during the last 24 hours in various areas of Swat.

In the Piochar area, the search and destroy operations by the security forces were underway while clearance of compounds and houses in Matta is also in progress.

Search and cordon operation also continued at Kanju where three soldiers were injured during the operation.

In Takhtaband, clearance operation of the village is in progress where one soldier embraced shahadat while six others were injured.

Answering a question, Major Gen. Athar Abbas said that around 10 to 15 % people of the total population are present in their houses in Swat, who have been asked to keep themselves aloof from the terrorists. He said they also have been asked to come forward and help the security forces in identifying the terrorists, especially those who have changed their clad.

When asked to confirm the killing of Maulvi Fazal Ullah and another terrorist leader, Major General Athar Abbass said that a number of terrorists have been killed in the last 24 hour operation but anything could be confirmed after investigations on the ground.

On any possibility of spill out of terrorists from the Operation area to other adjoining parts, he said, that the security forces have besieged the terrorists in the area and there is hardly any possibility of their sneaking out of the area. He said the planners of Operation had already given due preference to this aspect and the security forces are keeping strict check on this factor.

He said efforts are in hand to conclude the Operation in the shortest possible time with the minimal chances of the collateral damage caused to the life as well as the property.

Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency )

LAHORE: The military operation against the Taliban in Swat and Malakand division is a very significant effort, US Central Command chief General David Petraeus has said. In an interview with the New York Post, he said the Pakistani military has concentrated a substantial force for this operation, adding their willingness to fight the battle without US support reflected their view that this was their fight. “The magnitude is the result of a unique convergence of public rejection of the Taliban, political unity and military determination,” he added. Petraeus told Ralph Peters “what happens in Pakistan has a significant effect on what transpires in Afghanistan”. However, he added, Pakistan’s actions against the Taliban did not hinder progress in Afghanistan. He said the US mission was to ensure Afghanistan remained free from Al Qaeda and other transnational extremists. daily times monitor

im not sure if this video has already been posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuesday May 19, 2009 80 more militants killed; take complete control of Sultanwas area: ISPR

RAWALPINDI: Security forces have regained control on major part of the Sultanwas area after making head way in the Buner District.
According to a statement issued by ISPR today (Tuesday), 16 more insurgents have been killed in the fighting.

An army officer and three soldiers were also martyred, while 16 soldiers, including army officer, sustained injuries in the ongoing Operation Rah-e-Rast.

Fierce clashes erupted between security forces and militants in Sultanwas, inflicting heavy casualties on the insurgents.

The statement further said that forces are consolidating their positions and destroying militants’ hideouts situated in the Valley.

In Matta, Security forces have cordoned off the area and launched search operation.

Major Abid and one soldier embraced Shahadat in an exchange of fire with terrorists in Nazarabad area of Matta tehsil. While seven soldiers sustained injuries.

The statement said security forces had successfully cleared more than 40 houses in Kanju and area ahead of Takhtband Bridge.

Fierce clashes are taking place at both places. Fourteen miscreants were killed during exchange of fire with security forces at Takhtaband, while 2 soldiers embraced shahadat and 8 were injured.

In Sultanwas area of Buner, Operation was underway to clear the area of militants.

Meanwhile, Pakistan Army said on Tuesday the extremists in Pakistan are getting support from Afghan Taliban.

The director general of Inter Services Public Relation (ISPR), Major General Athar Abbas said that Afghan militants were supplying arms to Pakistani militants lined up against the security forces.

Athar said the insurgency could be effectively countered by cutting the supply routes being used by these militants. He said the PAF has been requisitioned to hit high value targets in conflict zone.

@Neo Sir
Sultanwas has been cleared. total number of kills were 80. news posted by u is from yesterday (tuesday).

regards

Telibans used to prepare videos as an evidence of their "Success stories". These kind of acts are done by NGOs which have to prove to their donors that they are spending the money for the objective.

Does Talibans have "Donors" as well?

Opinion: The Swat Lot

Brian Cloughley
May 21, 2009

When I lived in Pakistan, many years ago, a British friend brought to Islamabad a group of his chums who wanted to see the country. They particularly wanted to go to Swat, which is described by Isobel Shaw in her informative and indeed invaluable Pakistan Handbook as “the most interesting valley in Pakistan [and] also one of the most beautiful”.

We called the visitors ‘The Swat Lot’, and ensured that they were provided with some vital stores that can be difficult to obtain (except via Murree), and they thoroughly enjoyed their trip. It was indeed an idyllic region, and I visited Swat many times in the total of eight years I spent in Pakistan.

Then I had later interest in the region because until quite recently I had a consultancy aimed at encouraging tourism there. A plan was being produced to tempt all sorts of holidaymakers — foreigners and Pakistanis — to visit the valley, and I sought to enlist the help of Pakistani citizens who could contribute to the project. My principals in the Gulf wanted local representatives who were well-placed enough to be able to influence movers and shakers in Islamabad and Peshawar, and I was told to offer generous terms to anyone who might have official contacts who could produce results. (Read into that what you want.) It all looked very attractive.

The hotel-building scheme was ambitious. Much luxury was proposed, and although initially I was reluctant to assist in bringing Swat into the era of glitzy tourism (the thought of a Mingora McDonald’s was a bit grim), I soothed my conscience by calculating how much benefit it would bring to the region. (And to me, of course.)

The object of the exercise was for the Gulf Lot to make much money in the course of encouraging Swat’s inhabitants to accept even more tourists and, entirely coincidentally but nonetheless constructively, provide employment for local youngsters — a most satisfactory side benefit. For example, there was going to be a hotel school, probably in Dubai, that would take young people, male and female, to instruct them in the finer points of catering and other arts of the hospitality business.

But I am reminded of Winston Churchill’s story of the zookeeper who wanted to administer medicine to a bear. The man mixed the powder carefully and put it in a paper tube to blow it down the bear’s throat. The operation was carefully planned, and the keeper manoeuvred the tube towards the mouth of the bear.

But the bear blew first.

And in Swat, the trashy Talibs blew first. So, alas, although the valley is still as beautiful as Isobel Shaw described it, the interesting aspects are no longer in fishing, trekking, climbing, archaeological research or luxury holidays.

Exit ambitious tourism plans, and exit, also — much more dramatically, importantly and desperately sadly — hundreds of thousands of Swat residents whose misfortune was to live in a beautiful region that was taken over by bigoted thugs whose idea of practising Islam consists of destroying what they don’t like and can’t understand. And exit the chances of well-paid employment for hundreds of youngsters.

I was saddened to learn that my former tailor in Mingora had his shop destroyed by the rabid loonies because he dared to make “western” clothes. I no longer have the blazer he made me almost thirty years ago, but well remember the skill of its maker; and when he wrote to say that he is now in Karachi, I was thankful that he and his family had got there unscathed, but furious that he has been driven from his home and livelihood by a bunch of perverted maniacs who dare to claim that their barbaric actions are guided by religion.

In similar vein, I object to being unable to contact my former bearer who has been a friend since 1981. I can’t even send an Eid card to him in his village. Why? Because the cretinous Talibs don’t like contact with foreigners.

The destruction of girls’ schools is appalling, and the action of the Swat Talibs in forbidding women to go shopping was bizarrely vindictive. This newspaper reported that “The Taliban have ordered the killing of women seen in market areas”, and that “banners were displayed in the women’s market reading ‘Women are not allowed in this market’... Following the ban, shopkeepers dealing in women’s garments and cosmetics complained about plummeting sales and disappearance of women customers. They said they could not even earn enough to pay the rent and electricity charges.”

The mentality of the ignorant savages who dictated such vicious restrictions can barely be comprehended by any sane person, but these frenzied fanatics are intent on imposing their warped authority over ordinary, decent people who are unable to protest against it.

The final straw was the sadistic whipping of a 17-year-old girl, about which Taliban spokesman Muslim Khan said “She came out of her house with [a man] who was not her husband, so we must punish her.” (And the new leader of the Jama’at-e Islami declared it to be “a minor matter.” What planet is he on?)

This isn’t democracy. It is fascism. So there had to be action. The Talibs, the new Swat Lot, have to accept the laws of the land or face the consequences.

There has been some criticism of the army’s actions in Swat. Certainly the lives of civilians have been cruelly disrupted. And there have been civilian deaths. But there is no alternative to the army’s operations, which are being conducted thoroughly professionally, and it is hoped that people will understand that strong action against demented vermin is necessary if the law of Pakistan is to apply equally to all citizens. At this time, of all times, it is essential to rally round the government of Pakistan and demonstrate support for the army in Swat

Militants commander among others killed in operation

Updated at: 1543 PST, Thursday, May 21, 2009
Militants commander among others killed in operation RAWALPINDI: Security forces have killed a number of miscreants including important militant commander Abu Tariq and apprehended 7 miscreants in the last 24 hours during the ongoing operation.

According to ISPR, 5 soldiers embraced Shahadat and 7 soldiers including an officer were injured, in various areas of Swat.

In Peochar Security Forces have cleared a number of miscreants hideouts and search and destroy operations are also being conducted. Fire battles are taking place between miscreants-terrorists and own troops. Security forces have secured and cleared the area up to Shahid Khapa and further towards the valley. During clashes, few miscreants-terrorists were killed and 3 soldiers were injured.

Security forces are strengthening their positions around Takhtaband Bridge, Barikot, Gokdara, Udigram area in Kanju/Takhtaband. A number of miscreants were killed while 5 soldiers embraced shahadat and 4 others were injured in Kanju and Takhtaband area.

Security Forces yesterday attacked Banai Baba Ziarat, the highest point in the area and miscreants-terrorists stronghold. It has been fully secured.
Militants commander among others killed in operation - GEO.tv

Five more soldiers martyred during operation: army

ISLAMABAD (updated on: May 21, 2009, 14:45 PST): Pakistan army said on Thursday that they lose five more soldiers and have killed a number of militants during fighting in a northwest valley where fighter jets and ground troops have pressed an offensive against the Taliban.

"In the last 24 hours, a number of miscreants-terrorists including important miscreant commander Abu Tariq were killed and seven miscreants were apprehended," the military said in a statement.

"Five soldiers embraced shahadat (martyrdom) and seven soldiers, including an officer were injured, in various areas of Swat," it added.

The military reported fighting in Peochar, a key Taliban bastion in northern Swat, the town of Kanju and around a Taliban supply line in Takhta Bund.

Security forces attacked and "fully secured" the strategic plateau of Banai Baba Ziarat, which the military called "the highest point in the area".

The military says more than 1,050 militants and more than 60 soldiers have been killed since forces launched an offensive against advancing Taliban militants in northwestof the country late last month.

Such death tolls are impossible to confirm independently with the combat area a closed military zone, sealed off to journalists and aid workers. Neither has there been any official word on civilian casualties, detailed by fleeing residents and human rights groups.

Pakistan air chief says fighter aircraft destroy militants' tunnel structures

English_Xinhua 2009-05-21 22:57:17 Print

ISLAMABAD, May 21 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan Air Force (PAF) fighter aircraft have destroyed militants' tunnel structures, ammo depot and training camps in Swat area of North West Frontier Province, the Air Chief of Pakistan said on Thursday.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman visited an operational base, from where air operations were being undertaken against the militants in Swat Valley and adjoining areas, a PAF statement said.

"The targets engaged by PAF are ammunition dumps, militants training camps, militant commanders' hideouts and tunnel structures. The militants have been flushed out from their hideouts," the air chief said.

He said the PAF undertook its obligations towards national security and is therefore supporting Pakistan army in its ground operations to restore the writ of the government in Swat and root out militancy from there.

The PAF is striking targets and making all possible efforts to avoid civilian casualties and collateral damage, Rao Qamar Suleman said and added that intelligence and information about targets was being provided to PAF by the ground forces engaged with the militants.

Pak Army as well as the PAF is extremely careful about targets selection to avoid civilian casualties and collateral damage during the operation, he said.

Pakistan air chief says fighter aircraft destroy militants' tunnel structures_English_Xinhua

Back
Top Bottom