What's new

Overseas Pakistanis may have right to vote in elections: ECP

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
For the first time in the country’s history, overseas Pakistanis and people with dual nationalities may have a right to vote in Pakistan’s elections.
Secretary Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) Ishtiaq Ahmad told Express News that they have formulated recommendations in this regard and will soon forward them to the Law Ministry.
Several overseas Pakistanis have so far not been registered to vote; however, after this decision, around 150, 000 people will get the right to vote.
The ECP secretary also said that the National Database and Registration Authority (Nadra) will issue special cards to overseas Pakistanis, once the decision is finalised.
The Election Commission is also working in collaboration with Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to streamline a mechanism for voters in the country whereby they can verify their enrollment in voters’ list through SMS.
Also, according to unconfirmed reports, the ECP has signed an agreement with Nadra to enable the citizens to register or confirm the existence of their name in a voters list by just sending a message.
(Read: FAFEN report: ‘More than 11m adults may not be able to vote’)
The ECP has undertaken a door-to-door campaign to verify eligible voters which amount to 81 million, according to the data provided by Nadra.
Overseas Pakistanis may have right to vote in elections: ECP – The Express Tribune

I would certainly like to vote as well--so long as it doesn't require a air flight to get some major American city.

PS. My family in Karachi is ready to vote Imran Khan. In past they split between MQM and Imran Khan. This time all seem for Imran Khan.

I think this move will work in favour of Imran Khan. Most of the pakistanis i have interacted with are in favour of Imran Khan & detest both major political parties to the core... so that makes me wonder if they ever will let this happen?

As I said in the Forum before, all of blogger supporters of Imran Khan throughout the world would probably amount to less than 50,000; one poor electoral constituency of PPP in Lyari in Karachi has more voters than these.

Imran Khan's impact is unclear. He may surprise us. Or he may just continue to be a dud. I wish him well but don't have high hopes for his success. I think the main route to Imran Khan's power is through a military-backed arrangement. It is to be noted that both PPP's founder Zulfi Bhutto and PMLN's founder Nawaz Sharif got a jump-start to their political careers through the military.

Great news. No doubt, those with quality education and professionalism prefer to go abroad.
They are mostly in favour of Imran Khan, and after a long gap, followed by Nawaz Sharif and Altaf Hussain.

This move would give Imran Khan an strong edge, as majority of the over-sea Pakistanis are in favour of him.

I think this move will work in favour of Imran Khan. Most of the pakistanis i have interacted with are in favour of Imran Khan & detest both major political parties to the core... so that makes me wonder if they ever will let this happen?

Most young and educated Pakistanis are with Imran Khan-

I would certainly like to vote as well--so long as it doesn't require a air flight to get some major American city.

PS. My family in Karachi is ready to vote Imran Khan. In past they split between MQM and Imran Khan. This time all seem for Imran Khan.

it is likely that postal voting system would be used.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom