ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Arab news
Pakistan ‘hypnotically obsessed’ with India’s military: WikiLeaks

By TIM SULLIVAN | AP

Published: Dec 18, 2010 00:58 Updated: Dec 18, 2010 00:58

NEW DELHI: Pakistan is “hypnotically obsessed” with India’s military and has done next to nothing to prosecute suspects in the 2008 terrorist attack on Mumbai, top Indian diplomats have told US officials.

They also repeated their claims that the Pakistani army was involved in the Mumbai siege.

The comments, made known through leaked US documents published Friday, contain few major revelations about the overall relations between the two nuclear-armed rivals. But the decidedly undiplomatic language used in private conversations provide a colorful perspective to India’s frustrations with Pakistan.

Indian Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said earlier this year that peace talks, which have been on hold since the 2008 siege, could not move ahead until Islamabad did more to dismantle the Pakistan-based terrorist infrastructure that New Delhi says supports militants.

The talks “can’t just be switched on,” Rao told US Sen. John Kerry during a February visit to New Delhi, insisting Islamabad had not yet done enough to prove it was serious about terrorism. The comments were conveyed in cables sent by the US Embassy in New Delhi to the State Department and obtained by WikiLeaks. They were posted Friday on the website of the British newspaper The Guardian.

Speaking to Kerry just before he flew to Islamabad for meetings with top Pakistani officials, Rao also predicted the senator would be told there that India’s military doctrine was a continuing threat.

The Pakistani military is “hypnotically obsessed” with India’s military, Rao said according to the cable, which was marked “confidential.” The US has repeatedly urged the two rivals to improve their ties. Better relations between India and Pakistan would help Washington in its war in Afghanistan, because it would allow Islamabad to shift troops away from the Indian border and toward its western frontier to fight militants there.

Shortly before the Kerry meeting, India’s Home Minister Palaniappan Chidambaram told visiting FBI Director Robert Mueller that Pakistan had “done damn near nothing” to prosecute the Mumbai suspects, according a cable.

While Pakistan has arrested seven people in connection with the attacks, and top officials insist it is bringing those behind militant attacks to justice, those trials have not yet properly begun.

The United States has to delicately balance its relations with the two nations. It cannot upset India, a growing economic and democratic giant, and must also strengthen ties with Pakistan, which it needs to stabilize Afghanistan.

Pakistani officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

In 2009, meanwhile, then-Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon told then-Assistant Secretary of State Richard Boucher: “Let’s not insult one another by telling a story that the Pakistan Army was not involved” in the Mumbai attacks.

The cable quoted Menon as saying that the Pakistani army paid wages to members of Lashkar-e-Taiba, the Pakistan-based Islamist militant group believed to be behind the siege. “They’re either unwilling to take action, or incapable, or both; any way you look at it, they’re involved.” Pakistan’s powerful army and spy agencies — which operate largely out of the control of the civilian government — have for years treated militants who attack India as allies.

In early 2009, Menon warned the US ambassador that Pakistan’s military was gaining ground in Islamabad at the expense of civilian leaders.

“The good guys are losing,” Menon said.

© 2010 Arab News

Random opnions of diplomats, each entitled to their own exchanged over US "intranet" have become the tide turning obession for writers..whats next?? Sponge bob predicting the outcome of WoT?? Tom and Jerry solving Israel-Palestine dispute? Pink Panther arressting Osama and Mullah Omar??? Inpspect gadget uncovering the truth on 9/11??

It is actually India which is obessed with Pakistan and never came to accecpt its existence for 40 something years post-partition. India still considers Pakistan as its breakaway part physchologically and politically...and has never let an oppurtunity go for defaming or discrediting Pakistan as well backstabbing with deciet and abusing trust. India wants to play the big brother of south asia and assume all roles and strategic intrests around the world connected to this region. Pakistan being the largest obstable to its goals.

(article reader) said:
6 so called Pakistani Militia trained terrorists can seige India's LARGEST city... also the hub of foreign investment and a tourist spot. I wonder can 600 Pakistani take over all of India ??? is that what you want us to believe... GROW UP INDIA ... your own people arent buying it anymore. Ihave been to Mumbai and the sentiments are that it wasnt Pakistan...and even if it was where the hell was India's National Security...and police....Sipping chai and having bail poori with their shoes off while refusing to log a complaint of a 60 year old citizen maybe?

Last edited:
Somebozo, I appreciate you posting this thread, and yes every Pakistani including me will get pissed off if there were claims of Pakistan arming involved in the Mumbai Attacks, but I regret to say that, by posting sarcastic remarks like that, you are more likely to attract trolls, instead of discussing about this matter in a more mature manner.

6 so called Pakistani Militia trained terrorists can seige India's LARGEST city... also the hub of foreign investment and a tourist spot. I wonder can 600 Pakistani take over all of India ??? is that what you want us to believe... GROW UP INDIA ... your own people arent buying it anymore. Ihave been to Mumbai and the sentiments are that it wasnt Pakistan...and even if it was where the hell was India's National Security...and police....Sipping chai and having bail poori with their shoes off while refusing to log a complaint of a 60 year old citizen maybe?

Furthermore, we should be more conscious of other people's feelings on this forum. We should not make a mockery of the people who died in the Mumbai attacks. I am sure we both would feel equally angry if someone insulted our nations like that. I hope you would edit your comments.

Just my 2 cents

Indian diplomats are supposed to say this thats their last resort to escape and shy away from questioning why US is saving Headely and its own role

It is actually India which is obessed with Pakistan and never came to accecpt its existence for 40 something years post-partition. India still considers Pakistan as its breakaway part physchologically and politically...and has never let an oppurtunity go for defaming or discrediting Pakistan as well backstabbing with deciet and abusing trust. India wants to play the big brother of south asia and assume all roles and strategic intrests around the world connected to this region. Pakistan being the largest obstable to its goals.

You guys have already accepted china as your big brother. But you can't accept the possibility of India being one. We are a nation of billion plus. Whether poor or not and whether you accept or not , we are going to be the big brother of this part of the world.
I am from Mumbai and I very well know the sentiments of the people. If you want any more clarifications of the sentiment here , contact the big brothers of Mumbai --Shiv Sena.
World is a reality. it is not your imagination. Wake up!

Arab news
Pakistan ‘hypnotically obsessed’ with India’s military: WikiLeaks
I think I know why we might be 'obsessed'. This is what Musharraf said recently:

The Indians, he said, had 33 infantry divisions, 25 oriented towards Pakistan border and so were their other troops, their air and naval forces.

“They are a force four or five times and we cannot ignore such threats,” he said
Link

Seems reasonable to be 'obsessed' in light of the above :whistle:

You guys have already accepted china as your big brother. But you can't accept the possibility of India being one. We are a nation of billion plus. Whether poor or not and whether you accept or not , we are going to be the big brother of this part of the world.
!

Friendship with china is based on equality, development and fair enterprise. They have not expressed any desires of hegemony. On the other hand a nation having more destitute than our entire population cannot be accepted as big brother.

Accepting India's hegemony means a one way street which in straight forward language means "hindu facist dominance" ( I am sorry to say this bitter truth). Dominance and submission is an Indian art expressed all the way from its political circle to average person. They either like to be above you or forced to be under you but cannot respect someone on equality basis. Any one recall caste system?? India is still battling this age old infestation. We on other hand are proud of teaching of equality by our beloved prophet.

China has never expressed any desire to force their "soft power" on us through mass propaganda and media manipulation.

Pakistan and India are separate countries and have been so for thousands of years. The land mass of modren day Islamic Pakistan was demarcated when Mohammed Bin Qassim led his cavalry from Deebal to Multan.

^Tell that when you're economically, militarily and politically dependent on China, and one day you wake up and realize that you cannot have an independent foreign policy anymore ;)

Wow! That's a great thing for India. The more time and resources they spent on their obsession with India, the lesser of these they have for their own country.

Good for us!

There is a saying in our country "Gala daba ke kehtay ho ke uff kyun kia?"

"You complain about my protests after strangling me".

The US is hypnotically blind to the activities of India against Pakistan. The US is a hopeless case in this regard.

After battles like Kargil what do you expect India to do? Put the army all in South India?

India will never trust Pakistan.

after what happened in 71' what do you expectt Pakistan to do? Put the army all in Afghanistan border?

“hypnotically obsessed”

Sometimes one finds it difficult to tell whether it's the Indian establishment that is "hypnotically obsessed" in it's efforts to create a diplomatic quarantine of Pakistan or whether the failure to destroy the pakistan armed forces has led to a bitterness that will not be reconciled with the reality of a Pakistan that is one tenth the size of India, but also ten times the fight.

Our Indian friends and their US sponsors seem to think that Pakistan will play Palestinian or Arabs or Iranians -- they may want to rethink that one.

after what happened in 71' what do you expectt Pakistan to do? Put the army all in Afghanistan border?

Not at all. We expect you to play the game by our rules and it's really pleasing to see that you're not disappointing.

Keep it up.

Back
Top Bottom