What's new

Pakistan needs a Good English language online news channel

Good comments. I am aware of Indus news (I mentioned it in my post). It does have some good content but its not as timely or consistent as Al Jazeera or the others international channels. Setting up a news channel is not that expensive (compared to say a power plant). It largely requires labor, which Pakistan has lots off. Its not about competing with CNN, it would be more about getting your perspective out. Especially on youtube and other internet services. Times have changed. Many oversee Pakistani watch Urdu news and dramas online (mostly youtube).

Angraizi bolnay aur samajhnay walay kum hain. Iss liyay zaroorat nahi.

After scanning the internet news channels over the last year I think Pakistan needs a good English language online news channel to improve its narrative and image globally. The Turks have TRT, the Arabs have Al Jazeera, the Russians have RT, the Chinese have CGTN, the Indians have NDTV, Germans have DW, the french have France 24....and there are many more international examples.

When I say good I mean a news channel that provides timely good analysis on current events. The content on PTV and Indus news really are not the same caliber as the channels I mentioned above. Even folks on PDF link reports from DW or Al Jazeera but nothing from an english language Pakistani channel.

Its even more strange when you consider that Pakistan was a British colony and most educated Pakistanis speak english. And most oversees expats watch urdu news and channels on youtube....meaning their is a business case in addition to geopolitical concerns.
Actual when there is interest only then a channel prospers. I don't think there is an interest in English channel.. But any rich people can make a channel without fearing the consequences of business but then people never do.

Indus News is good.
In order to get a NDTV/Aljazeera type channel, a lot of money is needed. It is not a one time investment. The viewership is also very limited, meaning adds are not available. Even Dawn had to change itself to an Urdu channel.

On a lighter note, sometimes i feel Dawn, Tribune and Indus Tv has more Indian sunscriber than Pakistan subseibers

Angraizi bolnay aur samajhnay walay kum hain. Iss liyay zaroorat nahi.
This would be for an international audience. Take for example the Taliban peace deal signing. HUM had excellent online clips in Urdu. Better than Al Jazerra or CNN. Do the same thing but in english.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom