What's new

Pakistan Should Ignore "Washington Consensus" in India Trade

Just throwing gratuitous insults won't do. You have the onus to find data since you are the one who's challenging eminent economist Dr. Husain's assertions, not me.

It's time for you to put up or shut up!

No Sir!

You have provided the Data.

Please let us have Authentication from the Governments of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, just as I have given information from Pakistani Government Websites relating to Pakistan's Economy.

No Sir!

You have provided the Data.

Please let us have Authentication from the Governments of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand, just as I have given information from Pakistani Government Websites relating to Pakistan's Economy.

Dr. Ishrat Husain's words are good enough for me because of his credentials. He is a former central bank governor and World Bank official and he has academic standing as obvious from his many peer-reviewed papers in international journals like Columbia University's Journal of International Affairs.

The Role of Politics in Pakistan's Economy | Journal of International Affairs

Here's what he said: "By 1969, Pakistan’s manufactured exports were higher than the exports of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia combined."

If you don't believe what he said, it's your problem, not mine.

Dr. Ishrat Husain's words are good enough for me because of his credentials. He is a former central bank governor and World Bank official and he has academic standing as obvious from his many peer-reviewed papers in international journals like Columbia University's Journal of International Affairs.

The Role of Politics in Pakistan's Economy | Journal of International Affairs

Here's what he said: "By 1969, Pakistan’s manufactured exports were higher than the exports of Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia combined."

If you don't believe what he said, it's your problem, not mine.

Fine!

Then we can agree to disagree.

You believe him. I don't.

Peaceful Co-Existence!

Pakistan gets EU trade preference, reports Express Tribune:

The European Parliament’s plan of doing more “for poorer countries” has opened trade gates for three new countries including Pakistan.

The new rules will enable Pakistan, Philippines and Ukraine to apply for zero duty access on their exports to the EU under the “GSP+” incentive scheme, according to a Parliament statement.

“The new EU trade scheme is more predictable and more generous to countries that deserve it,” said British Conservative MEP and Legal Affairs spokesperson, Sajjad Karim. Pakistan will be allowed to apply for zero duty access if they agree to abide by the 27 international conventions in the field of human rights.

The new rules will reduce the number of countries that enjoy preferential access to EU markets from 176 to around 75. It will also reduce the total value of imports that qualify for EU preferences from 60 billion euros in 2009 to about 37.7 billion euros in 2014.

The updated generalised system of preferences (GSP), the Parliament informed, removes tariff preferences, such as reduced or zero duties, for EU imports from countries where per capita income has exceeded US 4,000 for four years. This rule ousted Russia, Brazil and Saudi Arabia from the beneficiaries list and will now have compete on an equal footing with the EU in world markets. Latin American countries Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay remained out of the benefitting list.

The GSP plus scheme will contribute to the promotion of human rights, democracy and freedom of speech in the developing world, added Karim who is also Chairman of the European Parliament Friends of Pakistan Group.

“The European Parliament Friends of Pakistan group has been campaigning to increase the threshold of the GSP+ scheme to allow Pakistan to enjoy more trade with the EU.”

He also dismissed the few MEPs who called for Pakistan not to be included in the trade scheme in a European Parliament debate on Monday.

“The clear long-term strategy is for the EU and Pakistan to cooperate on a wide range of issues including trade, security and policy. The EU-Pakistan Five Year Engagement Plan and the recent successful launch of the first Strategic Dialogue in Islamabad this month with Baroness Ashton is clear evidence of that,” he added.

VIP status: Pakistan added to EU trade preference list – The Express Tribune

So now PAK become POOR country, :smitten:but i doubt PAK can stand any chance on Human Rights background.

So now PAK become POOR country, :smitten:but i doubt PAK can stand any chance on Human Rights background.

Pakistan IS a poor country, but not as poor as India.

the latest World Bank data shows that India's poverty rate of 27.5%, based on India's current poverty line of $1.03 per person per day, is more than 10 percentage points higher than Pakistan's 17.2%. Assam (urban), Punjab and Himachal Pradesh are the only three Indian states with similar or lower poverty rates than Pakistan's.

Haq's Musings: World Bank on Poverty Across India in 2011

On human rights, India is the only country in the world where Apartheid is still practiced widely.

Over 250 million people are victims of caste-based discrimination and segregation in India. They live miserable lives, shunned by much of society because of their ranks as untouchables or Dalits at the bottom of a rigid caste system in Hindu India. Dalits are discriminated against, denied access to land, forced to work in slave-like conditions, and routinely abused, even killed, at the hands of the police and of higher-caste groups that enjoy the state's protection, according to Human Rights Watch.

Haq's Musings: Dalit Victims of Apartheid in India

Back
Top Bottom