What's new

Pakistan to produce 0.5 million vehicles

Nasir

Reaction score
Well here is. It clearly says it all. What do you guys think of the production rate compare to other countries for example like Japan? I know that the difference is huge but just checking where we are.

Pakistan to produce 0.5 million vehicles by 2010

(Pakistan Press International Via Thomson Dialog NewsEdge)Karachi, March 7 PPI: Federal Minister for Trade and Commerce Humayun Akhtar Khan Tuesday said Pakistan would start manufacturing of 0.5 million vehicles annually by 2010 and made clear that government was not considering to change its import policy about reconditioned and new vehicles.

Talking to newsmen while visiting Pak Suzuki Motor Company, he said due to liberal import policy in the car manufacturing industry, competition has increased in the field, which benefited the consumers. Federal Minister said production of around 0.2 million vehicles domestically are expected by 2006 out of which Pak Suzuki Motor Company will manufacture 150000 vehicles. He mentioned government would maintain conducive policies for the survival and growth of both automobile manufacturing units and SME's serving manufacturing units.

Government's consistent and bold economic policies had started yielding results in shape of growth in this vital sector of the economy, which had been reciprocated by the foreign investment, he added.

Regarding Pak-India bilateral trade, he said there had been ample opportunities but some effective steps are needed on political level for its promotion. He was of the view that bilateral trade between India and Pakistan was affecting due to non-tariff barriers, imposed by India, adding that report regarding non-tariff barriers will be issued in March 2006.

(THROUGH ASIA PULSE) http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-pakistan-pr.../27/1504783.htm

Hmm, say if i wanted to make a car producing plant in pakistan? What would i need, and how much money would i need?

PS: Don't worry i can't afford to make a plant, this is just for my general info :)

Pakistan should liberalise its imports of motor vehicle. The targeting production quantities of vehicles is a regressive step if achieved by prohibitive tarrifs on imports.

Pakistan need only to look to Malaysia which has realised the folly of its restrictive import policy to protect domestic car production and is now liberalising imports.

While it is true that Japan supported its car manufacturing initially, the protection was quickly removed once it had become competitive. If Pakistan intends to support its manufacturing, it must give a clear signal that it intends to remove protection totally in progressive steps over the next ten years.

Originally posted by Nasir@Mar 28 2006, 10:30 AM
Well here is. It clearly says it all. What do you guys think of the production rate compare to other countries for example like Japan? I know that the difference is huge but just checking where we are.
[post=7956]Quoted post[/post]​

Pakistan: 0.13 Mn cars for a pop of 161.1 Mn :0.08 %

China : 5.8 Mn cars for a pop of 1.3 Bn 0.44 %

Japan: 3.2 Mn cars ( excluding mini cars) a year for a pop of 127.9 2.5 %

Malaysia:0.5 Mn cars for a pop of 25.3 Mn 1.
97 %

India :1.1 Mn cars for a pop of 1.1 Bn 0.10 %

Originally posted by sigatoka@Mar 28 2006, 11:38 PM
Pakistan should liberalise its imports of motor vehicle. The targeting production quantities of vehicles is a regressive step if achieved by prohibitive tarrifs on imports.

Pakistan need only to look to Malaysia which has realised the folly of its restrictive import policy to protect domestic car production and is now liberalising imports.

While it is true that Japan supported its car manufacturing initially, the protection was quickly removed once it had become competitive. If Pakistan intends to support its manufacturing, it must give a clear signal that it intends to remove protection totally in progressive steps over the next ten years.
[post=8043]Quoted post[/post]​

Pakistani government has taken steps towards that and as a result you see so many imported vehicles on the roads nowadays. Atleast that is what I saw on my last trip to Karachi.

Sid said:
Pakistani government has taken steps towards that and as a result you see so many imported vehicles on the roads nowadays. Atleast that is what I saw on my last trip to Karachi.

The problem is Sid that the main mechanism for limiting imports is quotas and not Tarriffs. This allows the Car manufacturers who export here to sell their cars for a higher price rather than the Government collecting increased taxes. A uniform 20% tax on all vechicles would increase Tax collection for Authoriteis and improve the welfare for society.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom