What's new

Pakistan's UAV - Drone developments

UAVs have proved to be a very safe and convenient weapon against terrorists in both surveillance and attack missions, but how effective will it be against a more sophisticated enemy, wouldn't they be sitting ducks for SAMs ?
How will Pakistan use them once the operation in the tribal areas ends(Hopefully soon)

Last edited:
Drones: Made in Pakistan
By Salman Siddiqui

Looking at the facility from outside, no one would guess what goes on within the 90,000-square-foot research facility of Integrated Dynamics (ID), a privately owned company in Karachi. There are no signboards indicating that ID is in the business of developing drone technology for military and civilian use. Surprisingly, there isn’t even an army of security guards manning the complex as one would expect upon entering the gate. A lonesome gate keeper lets us in without a fuss.
Even more startling is the ease with which R.S. Khan, ID's chief executive, states that ‘drone technology has existed in Pakistan for the last 20 years.’

Khan, who graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology with a master's degree in aeronautics and astronautics, is quick to clarify that his company has ‘never been asked to develop a drone which has an armed implication.’ Instead, ID develops advanced Unmanned Autonomous Vehicle (UAV) systems capable of reconnaissance missions as well as target decoys for anti-aircraft missiles. His customers, he says, include the armed forces of the country as well as foreign buyers from the US, Australia, Spain, Italy and France.

Although he may not have been asked to develop an armed drone, Khan, who previously worked as a consultant for Pakistan’s aerospace agency Suparco, points out: ‘If we consider the fact that drone development has been taking place in Pakistan for the last 20 years, I think the technology for flying long-range autonomous missions has existed for at least 10-12 years.’

Given Khan's estimations about local drone development, it is unclear why Pakistan is asking the US to handover its armed drone technology, especially that of the infamous Predator. President Asif Ali Zardari recently told the British daily Independent that the US should give Pakistan the ‘weapons, drones and missiles that will allow us to take care of’ the militant threat in the tribal areas.'

Drone terminology

Model aircraft: Typically a remote-controlled unmanned plane that flies within the visual range of an operator.

Unmanned Aerial Vehicle: A remote-controlled unmanned plane that can fly beyond the visual range of an operator. It is usually fitted with remote sensors and/or cameras.

Unmanned Autonomous Vehicle: An advanced form of unmanned aerial vehicles, it may have a range of hundreds of kilometres and an endurance of months. Moreover, the mission can be pre-programmed in such systems and can be completed with or without the assistance of an operator. Some advanced versions also use artificial intelligence.

Drone: In Pakistan, drones are usually associated with advanced unmanned autonomous vehicles that are fitted with lethal firepower (for example, the American Predator and Reaper drones). Target drones do not have combat capability and are used as decoys to simulate fighter aircrafts and test anti-aircraft batteries.

‘If you ask anyone in Pakistan involved in the business of making unmanned UAVs whether something similar to the Predator drone aircraft can be made, the answer would be yes,' explains Khan. 'I won’t say we can make it overnight or by tomorrow. But I won’t say either that it is a matter of decades. I would say that, if given the task, we can make such aircrafts in a few years.' As a technologist, Khan is hesitant to speculate as to why the Pakistan government or armed forces are not investing in home-made technology. 'I think you need to ask the policy makers that.'

UAVs in Pakistan

Interestingly, there are several public sector companies involved in developing UAVs in Pakistan, including the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Air Weapons Complex (AWC) and National Development Complex (NDC).

The PAC's Uqaab drone is in use by the Pakistan Army, and, according to unconfirmed reports, is being upgraded with Chinese help to carry a weapons payload. Other PAC UAVs include the Bazz and Ababeel. AWC's Bravo+ UAV is in use of the Pakistan Airforce (PAF). The PAF recently acquired an unarmed Italian drone called the Falco UAV, which is reportedly being used for surveillance and battleground assessments in the Federally Administered Tribal Areas. In 2008, the Pakistan Navy also reportedly completed trials of UAVs - the Austrian Schiebel Camcopter S-100 and Swedish Cybaero - from a Pakistani frigate in the Arabian Sea.

Private sector companies are also involved in the design and development of UAVs. Apart from ID in Karachi, East-West Infinity (EWI), Satuma and Global Industrial Defense Solutions (GIDS) are in the drone-making business.

The EWI's Heliquad UAV is considered a stealth design because of its small size and Whisper Watch signals intelligence package, which is capable of picking up radio and other communication signals. ID's Nishan Mk1 and TJ1000, Vision MK1 & MK2, Tornado, Border Eagle, Hornet, Hawk and Vector are also popular models employed by the armed forces for reconnaissance missions and target practice (each model varies in range and endurance). Satuma's UAVs, with similar functionalities, are called Flamingo, Jasoos and Mukhbar. For its part, the GIDS develops the Huma-1 UAV and its own version of the Uqaab.

Even though almost all UAVs in the country have been built for military applications - reconnaissance, simulations, decoy systems, remote sensing - none of them are reported to be capable of firing arms. Moreover, none of the above-mentioned facilities are involved in large-scale, mass production of UAVs.

Policy on drones

It is still not clear what Pakistan’s policy regarding unmanned drones is. On the one hand, Pakistan has ‘condemn[ed] in the strongest terms’ any US drone attack. On the other hand, reports have emerged that the US has the tacit approval of the current government.

Previously, former president Pervez Musharraf had reportedly authorized Washington to launch Predator drones from secret bases near Islamabad and Jacobabad. Google Earth images of an airbase in Balochistan hosting Predators had also emerged at a time when Pakistan was adamantly claiming that all drones were flying in from Afghanistan. More recently, the Pakistan Army ‘practiced’ shooting down drones, but even then, foreign aircrafts continued to rain in their missiles.

ID's Khan explains that shooting down drones to prevent attacks is a viable option. ‘From a technical standpoint, all it takes is a simple air-to-air or surface-to-air missile to bring the drone down. Almost all of these aircrafts have a very low radar signature. But they’re not undetectable. They can be detected,' he says. 'The question really is whether one wants to bring one down or not.'

Drones vs. casualties

‘The question really is whether one wants to bring one down or not.’

According to news reports, US drone attacks have killed around 701 people in Pakistan since 2006, including 14 alleged Al Qaeda leaders. Although armed UAVs or drones provide safety to their operators since they cannot be harmed if the aircraft are shot down during combat operations, they come at the cost of scores of civilian casualties, who bear the brunt of aerial raids. Therefore, it is debatable whether the armed drones, even if built and controlled by Pakistan, would actually make a difference in terms of changing the sentiment of the people against their devastating impact.

The way forward

Apart from their use in a military context, there is a need to deploy UAVs for the benefit of Pakistani communities. UAVs abroad are being used for a variety of civilian services, including search and rescue operations, environmental analysis, assisting local law enforcers, scientific research and even transport. Situational awareness about a potentially hazardous or calamity-hit areas, for example, in the aftermath of an earthquake, could also be gained through the use of such systems.

The responsibility of implementing this vision rests not only with the companies that develop UAVs, but also with government bodies that should utilise drones to improve their image and efficiency. After all, drones are not exclusively killing machines.

http://www.dawn.com/wps/wcm/connect/dawn-content-library/dawn/news/pakistan/drones-made-in-pakistan

Last edited:
A large variety of UAVs are manufactured by Integrated Dynamics at the facility in Karachi.

The Tornado is a target and decoy UAV with a range of over 200 kilometres. It can reach speeds of up to 300 knots and can emit false radar signals to confuse enemy air defences.

The Shadow is also a surveillance UAV that has a speed of over 200 kilometres per hour and can operate within a 200-kilometre range.

The Rover is a civilian UAV typically used for electronic news gathering and rapid information relay.

The Nishan MK-II is seen here against the backdrop of Shadow and Explorer UAVs. The Nishan has a wingspan of over 9 feet and is considered a high-speed aerial target or decoy. Its range is limited to 35 kilometres.

The explorer is one of the two advanced civilian UAV systems offered by Integrated Dynamics. It has a 20-kilometre range and is equipped with sensors suited for scientific research programmes.

The Border Eagle is a surveillance UAV that comes equipped with both a still and video camera along with a chemical monitoring module.

Integrated Dynamics also features ground station units that are used in combination with the UAV systems.

‘If you ask anyone in Pakistan involved in the business of making unmanned UAVs whether something similar to the Predator drone aircraft can be made, the answer would be yes,' explains Khan. 'I won’t say we can make it overnight or by tomorrow. But I won’t say either that it is a matter of decades. I would say that, if given the task, we can make such aircrafts in a few years.' As a technologist, Khan is hesitant to speculate as to why the Pakistan government or armed forces are not investing in home-made technology. 'I think you need to ask the policy makers that.'
Smart man, Mr Khan. I've been saying for a while now, we can have an indigenous UCAV system undergoing IoC within 3 years. Maybe not the Reaper, but something that would do well for us.

As for the other point. Companies can't expect the Armed Forces to come to them and induct untested vehicles from relatively less experienced companies. They would have to market their UAVs to, say, the police and other law enforcement, maybe even security firms, before they take their ideas to the Armed Forces. Only then can you expect serious interest from the Armed Forces.

Smart man, Mr Khan. I've been saying for a while now, we can have an indigenous UCAV system undergoing IoC within 3 years. Maybe not the Reaper, but something that would do well for us.

As for the other point. Companies can't expect the Armed Forces to come to them and induct untested vehicles from relatively less experienced companies. They would have to market their UAVs to, say, the police and other law enforcement, maybe even security firms, before they take their ideas to the Armed Forces. Only then can you expect serious interest from the Armed Forces.

to add more to this NESCOM has been reported to be developing a guided air launched missile that is much lighter in weight as compared to air launched baktar shikan missiles and one good reason to develop this thing is to use them in UCAVs. all in all it all seems to be steps in right direction.

regards!

to add more to this NESCOM has been reported to be developing a guided air launched missile that is much lighter in weight as compared to air launched baktar shikan missiles and one good reason to develop this thing is to use them in UCAVs. all in all it all seems to be steps in right direction.

regards!

I have information that it is going to be tasted in this month before 15 December INSHALLAH.:azn::pakistan:

regards!

To add even further to this, I quote from the article I posted on the previous page.

"Burraq is the country's latest domestically produced UAV, is based on the Falco-Selex Galileo technology and is believed to be intended as the Pakistan's main equivalent to the American Predator.

"PAC engineers have been working on the first UAV project of the country for two years," according to a report published on the aviation industry Flightglobal website in August. Pakistan is also reported to be flight-testing the Burraq, named for a winged-horse type creature in Islamic tradition. The Burraq is to be equipped with National Engineering and Scientific Commission (or NESCom) designed laser designator and laser-guided missiles. Unlike the Falco, Burraq will be able to attack and destroy targets.

Pakistan has now virtually become a member of the club of countries manufacturing drones."

I beg to differ on this. Armed forces should work together with private companies to improve things and go towards fully indigenous products. Its not like a company develops F-22 and USAF buys from it. The govt./DoD/Armed Forces (should) interact with such private companies, ask for proposals and in some cases actually fund the R&D.

The police do not use UAVs neither will such a version include missiles and LDpods even if it did and you cannot market these things to the general public. No company would fund such a project unless it sees profit coming out of it and the only possibly commercial project could be building RC models for the local market. Hardly enough hi-tech to start making Reapers and Predators.

I saw a news at tv, that,

Pakistan & China are working Drone planes (collaboration):pakistan::china:
reported by Minister of Defence Qayyoum Jatoie.

Share comments please.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
9cf61476c44b3b62e7d811fb921414ad.gif

Pakistan working on new UAV with Chinese collaboration

Federal Minister for Defence Production Abdul Qayyum has said that Pakistan has indigenously developed drones and is working in collaboration with China on more capable UAV. He said while talking to media on the occasion of inauguration of the construction work of first F-22 P Frigate for Pakistan Navy, at Karachi Shipyard and Engineering Works (KSEW) today.

well watch this, i hope it will yeild something informative:

regards!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan Spy Drone UQAB:

well i hope you will like this one!!!

regards!!

another vedio from its flight testing. the vedio is not of very good quality but still with images from on board camera it is worth watching. you can imagin the speed with which the UAV is moving and the clewarith of terrain underneath.
i hope you will enjoy this one:

regards!

i don't understand why we need FALCOs when we have UQAAB....predators would have made sense because they are armed but uqaab & falco's are more or less the same thing aren't they....

Back
Top Bottom