What's new

Philippines to defy China and expand oil search

Oldman1

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
United States
Philippines to defy China and expand oil search - Yahoo! News

The Philippines said Wednesday it would push ahead with plans to expand oil and gas exploration in waters also claimed by China, as it brushed off a fresh Chinese warning.

The comments came amid a fresh spike in tensions in the decades-old dispute over the potentially resource-rich South China Sea, where the Philippines and China, as well as Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan, have overlapping claims.

Philippine Energy Undersecretary James Layug said it was preparing to issue exploration licences for 15 blocs, three of which were in the South China Sea.

However Layug insisted China had no legal claim to the three contentious blocs, as they were well within the Philippines' 200-nautical-mile economic exclusion zone recognised under international law.

"In our view, (these) areas are not disputed areas... that they are our territory has been accepted by all our neighbours, except China," Layug told reporters.

He said the three licences were for areas between 72 and 80 nautical miles from the western Philippine island of Palawan, and 575 nautical miles from the nearest major Chinese landmass.

Layug said 36 companies, including major foreign oil companies such as Total, Esso and Mitra, had submitted applications by Wednesday's deadline to bid for the 15 licenses.

The other 12 licenses on offer are in Philippine territory not claimed by China.

At this stage of the process, companies are only required to submit a general application to explore for any of the 15 blocs. They have to nominate which specific bloc they want to explore by the end of July.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei hit out on Tuesday in Beijing at the Philippine exploration plans.

"Any country or company that engages in oil and gas activities in waters under Chinese jurisdiction without the Chinese government's approval does so illegally," he said.

Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario reacted to Hong's comments on Wednesday by reasserting his country's rights to the areas, as determined by the UN's Convention on the Law of the Sea.

"It is our stated position that our activities are well within our sovereignty under UNCLOS," del Rosario said.

The Philippines has issued only one previous exploration licence for a bloc in waters also claimed by China -- in an area called Reed Bank about 80 nautical miles from Palawan.

Tensions between the two countries spiked last year after the Philippines said Chinese patrol boats harassed a British vessel doing survey work in that area, disrupting its work.

The reported harassment in Reed Bank was one of many increasingly aggressive actions the Philippines accused China of taking last year to assert its claims over the disputed waters.

-------------------------------------------------------

What will China do now? If they let the Philippines do it, other countries will follow when they see that China will not respond.

that's a tricky one. If they respond with hostility, it further antagonizes other east asian countries.

Philippines to defy China and expand oil search - Yahoo! News

The Philippines said Wednesday it would push ahead with plans to expand oil and gas exploration in waters also claimed by China, as it brushed off a fresh Chinese warning.

The comments came amid a fresh spike in tensions in the decades-old dispute over the potentially resource-rich South China Sea, where the Philippines and China, as well as Brunei, Malaysia and Taiwan, have overlapping claims.

Philippine Energy Undersecretary James Layug said it was preparing to issue exploration licences for 15 blocs, three of which were in the South China Sea.

However Layug insisted China had no legal claim to the three contentious blocs, as they were well within the Philippines' 200-nautical-mile economic exclusion zone recognised under international law.

"In our view, (these) areas are not disputed areas... that they are our territory has been accepted by all our neighbours, except China," Layug told reporters.

He said the three licences were for areas between 72 and 80 nautical miles from the western Philippine island of Palawan, and 575 nautical miles from the nearest major Chinese landmass.

Layug said 36 companies, including major foreign oil companies such as Total, Esso and Mitra, had submitted applications by Wednesday's deadline to bid for the 15 licenses.

The other 12 licenses on offer are in Philippine territory not claimed by China.

At this stage of the process, companies are only required to submit a general application to explore for any of the 15 blocs. They have to nominate which specific bloc they want to explore by the end of July.

Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Hong Lei hit out on Tuesday in Beijing at the Philippine exploration plans.

"Any country or company that engages in oil and gas activities in waters under Chinese jurisdiction without the Chinese government's approval does so illegally," he said.

Philippine Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario reacted to Hong's comments on Wednesday by reasserting his country's rights to the areas, as determined by the UN's Convention on the Law of the Sea.

"It is our stated position that our activities are well within our sovereignty under UNCLOS," del Rosario said.

The Philippines has issued only one previous exploration licence for a bloc in waters also claimed by China -- in an area called Reed Bank about 80 nautical miles from Palawan.

Tensions between the two countries spiked last year after the Philippines said Chinese patrol boats harassed a British vessel doing survey work in that area, disrupting its work.

The reported harassment in Reed Bank was one of many increasingly aggressive actions the Philippines accused China of taking last year to assert its claims over the disputed waters.

-------------------------------------------------------

What will China do now? If they let the Philippines do it, other countries will follow when they see that China will not respond.

Good and welcome move by the Philippines, congrats guys.

china needs to be reigned in... they are really not so different to the brittish colonialist centuries ago... but i guess you cant expect much more .. china might be an old civilization etc, but it is still an immature adolescent child

china needs to be reigned in... they are really not so different to the brittish colonialist centuries ago... but i guess you cant expect much more .. china might be an old civilization etc, but it is still an immature adolescent child

Really...give Australia back to native people then we can sit and talk as adult.

Really...give Australia back to native people then we can sit and talk as adult.

ok sure.. well i guess logically... if you follow human migration routes.. the japanese would of been in china before they got to japan.. so they occupied china first... give china back to the japanese?? lol

actually the native people here are a big part of australia, they hold positions in parliament and the senate, they are as much as involved in this country as anyone else is. we have given traditional land back to its original owners etc.... so your comments are irrelevant and rather stupid.

ok sure.. well i guess logically... if you follow human migration routes.. the japanese would of been in china before they got to japan.. so they occupied china first... give china back to the japanese?? lol

actually the native people here are a big part of australia, they hold positions in parliament and the senate, they are as much as involved in this country as anyone else is. we have given traditional land back to its original owners etc.... so your comments are irrelevant and rather stupid.

Ask Japanese what language they have learn before learning how to crawl...most likely we're legistimate to claim Japan as part of China and not the other way around...as for Autralia...after wiping almost the entire population of native people..now try to hypocritically pretend to be a nice guy...you will see that your people will receive the same treatement as native people in the future...hope you live long enought to witness that event.

Ask Japanese what language they have learn before learning how to crawl...most likely we're legistimate to claim Japan as part of China and not the other way around...as for Autralia...after wiping almost the entire population of native people..now try to hypocritically pretend to be a nice guy...you will see that your people will receive the same treatement as native people in the future...hope you live long enought to witness that event.

i have blood of native australian people in me.. so i suggest you dont speak for my peoples, white, and aboriginal :)

japanese learn chinese first?? are you that egotistical?? china is NOT HEAVEN... lol you still live in 2000bc or what? china and chinese language is not the centre of the universe.. grow up.....

i have blood of native australian people in me.. so i suggest you dont speak for my peoples, white, and aboriginal :)

japanese learn chinese first?? are you that egotistical?? china is NOT HEAVEN... lol you still live in 2000bc or what? china and chinese language is not the centre of the universe.. grow up.....

Sure you have native blood...you must must be really proud of you :lol: or proud our your other half invader blood i should say...any way I don't know your blood line...but i will give you credit of doubt..indeed you can be really be proud :lol:

Oh my bad Should i said we evil chinese learn Japanese :lol: Chinese is not center of the universe...but it's about to be..because you ex-primister know very well Chinese language and even he's daughter in law is Chinese...LMAO..eventually Australia official language will be Chinese...as your grand children grow up :lol:

you mean benefit of doubt?? how can you credit doubt??

i do, i have many different bloodlines.. im a mix.

and im proud of all my heritage... im proud of my country.. australia.... actually, i am not part brittish.. so dont try to talk invader crap with me... you hans invaded other chinese with the sole purpose of controlling it all.. so you really cant talk bout invaders...

and you are quite wrong.. you see we accept china as a major player in asia... we like a peaceful china.. but should china try invade others...as you said.. its ABOUT to be centre of the universe and here you are critisizing "invaders from centuries ago" when your country is wanting to be one now lol? hypocrite

you mean benefit of doubt?? how can you credit doubt??

i do, i have many different bloodlines.. im a mix.

and im proud of all my heritage... im proud of my country.. australia.... actually, i am not part brittish.. so dont try to talk invader crap with me... you hans invaded other chinese with the sole purpose of controlling it all.. so you really cant talk bout invaders...

and you are quite wrong.. you see we accept china as a major player in asia... we like a peaceful china.. but should china try invade others...as you said.. its ABOUT to be centre of the universe and here you are critisizing "invaders from centuries ago" when your country is wanting to be one now lol? hypocrite

Sure by calling yourself as mix blood so you can get away from being targeting...LMAO..sure be that way man...i have nothing else to say :lol:

..And yes we HAN are also invaders...we have never deny if you know to read chinese historical books...every invasions have been written through out chinese chronological history...and we're not hypocritical to feel the need to play a nice man's role..it' was you who think to be a moral people to stik your noise in South China sea contest and try to fish in trouble water, you Autralians should be the last people to have anything to say or give moral lesson to other after stealing land and litterally wipe out native people.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom