What's new

PPP releases Benazir’s will naming husband as successor

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NAUDERO, Pakistan, Feb 5 (AFP) - The party of slain Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto released her will to the public on Tuesday to prove that it names her husband as her political heir. The move follows a whispering campaign that Benazir had not handed the leadership of the Pakistan People's Party to her spouse Asif Ali Zardari, and that she instead picked their 19-year-old son Bilawal. The handwritten will -- dated October 16, two days before the former premier returned to Pakistan from exile -- also says that she feared for Pakistan's future in the face of extremism and dictatorship. “I would like my husband Asif Ali Zardari to lead you in this interim period until you and he decide what is best. I say this because he is a man of courage and honour,” said the will, unveiled at the Bhutto home in Naudero in southern Sindh province. Benazir Bhutto was assassinated at a political rally in Rawalpindi on December 27. The party named Zardari and Bilawal as co-chairmen three days later, after the will was read out to senior party members, but not to the public. The will says that Zardari “spent 11.5 years in prison without bending despite torture. He has the political stature to keep our party united.” “Some enemies wanted to create chaos in the party by spreading false speculation about the contents of the will,” party spokeswoman Sherry Rehman told a news conference as she made the document public. “That is why the party high command has decided to share the will with the public and the media to foil all such controversies and keep the party united.” Addressed to the “officials and members” of the party, the one-page will also says Bhutto was “honoured” to lead them and urges them to continue her work. “I fear for the future of Pakistan. Please continue the fight against extremism, dictatorship, poverty and ignorance,” it says. Sherry Rehman said the will would be included in her autobiography. Zardari and the party are set to kickstart campaigning for February 18 general elections when the official mourning period for Bhutto ends later this week. The will was earlier posted on the website of the US magazine Newsweek.(Posted @ 16:15 PST, Updated @ 20:11 PST)
- DAWN - Latest Stories; February 05, 2008

Back
Top Bottom