Purchase of nine helicopters proposed

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

Wednesday, August 22, 2007
By Azhar Mahmood

KARACHI: Director General of Intelligence and Investigation, Federal Board of Revenue has submitted a proposal for the purchase of nine helicopters and sophisticated weapons for carrying out anti-smuggling activities at border areas.

Out of nine helicopters, six would be stationed at Karachi and three at Quetta. The FBR, for the last five years, has been carrying out a number of studies to curb the ever-growing smuggling.

The DG has specifically named ‘Bell Helicopters’ as one of the most-needed in order to monitor the hilly areas of Balochistan, bordering Iran and Afghanistan.

Sources said in a bid to conduct anti-smuggling operation at sea, the director general had requested for 37 high-speed boats, radar system, night navigation devices, vehicles and modern communication equipment for the collectorates.

The Pakistan Customs was equipped with high-speed boats in mid-eighties, but due to non-provision of required funds for the boats, these turned into liabilities.

At present, anti-smuggling operation at sea is not being conducted practically because of non-availability of required facilities.

Sources said the anti-smuggling strategy sent to the FBR suggested following measures.

First, the locals of FATA and PATA should be provided jobs on priority basis so that the poor of these areas could be disengaged from smugglers. Once they are disengaged, the enforcement process would be started.

Second, Customs’ stations or check-posts should be established at popular smuggling routes. These check-posts should be provided quick reaction mobile squads and “some of the points in highly difficult terrains should be equipped with helicopters”.

Finally, those inspectors and sepoys, who have attained the age of 50 years, should be replaced by offering them golden handshake.

The directorate suggested that young tribesmen must be recruited in the small and executive staff to carry out anti-smuggling operation.

Bell 206 L4 Long Ranger is quite an effective chopper for anti drug warfare, Mexico recently bought 24 heli's from USA.

c74c4d68e991dd771ef8ad4a18917913.gif

Bell 206L4 - LongRanger IV

The highest measure of excellence in vertical flight. A most assured attitude in the air. No other can claim the air superiority of Bell Helicopter.

From this tradition, and from a renewed spirit, comes the latest in a long line of Bell LongRangers. This is the ultimate refinement to the industry's classic design, an airframe legendary for reliability, with the power to perform as you have only imagined. Until now.

More horsepower alone cannot equal improved performance. Only when integrated with sound engineering will power positively influence the aerodynamic experience. With 650 horses to pull you up into the sky, the 206L-4 lifts 300 pounds more gross weight than its worthy predecessor, the 206L-3.

Yet the L-4's comfortable, low-noise, low-vibration ride evokes a sense of mind over muscle. This helicopter's strength is in intelligence design, reliable operation and balance between cost and capability. But the greatest value of the new 206L-4 is its virtue of being a Bell, the most trusted name in the industry.

Now, in the Bell 206L-4, the legendary LongRanger boasts more power, performance and lift capability than ever while retaining the qualities you have come to expect from every LongRanger. Comfort is a matter of course. Club seating allows face-to-face conversation and enhances outside visibility. And our customers have expressed that the 206 provides the smoothest ride in the industry.

Interior options can be suited to your tastes. A standard bi-fold double door accommodates the widest loads. A large luggage compartment adds to your convenience. As helicopters go, the L-4 is an easy aircraft to maintain, as evidenced by the lowest maintenance costs per flight-hour in its class.

You enjoy all the benefits of a thoroughly proven design, including access to the numerous 206 accessory and customizing kits already certified by the FAA for special mission requirements. The Bell 206L-4 LongRanger. Performance and comfort have never merged in an aircraft so reliable.

Character is a quality acquired over time. When you prove your merit year after year, people take notice. And make comment - the reason you've already heard of the Bell 206 JetRanger and LongRanger. Today the 206 series has flown over 32 million flight-hours. The record shows the JetRanger is the most reliable helicopter in the world, and it's the safest single-engine aircraft flying, including fixed-wing planes.
True to Bell tradition, the new 206L-4 LongRanger fulfills a promise: to respond to the increasing demands placed on helicopter missions, to improve on well-proven designs and to deliver the world standard of excellence in vertical-flight aircraft. The LongRanger legacy lives on.

Saving lives in remote or inaccessible areas. Accosting criminals from the air. Making offshore operations more efficient. Maintaining power lines for the public or transporting corporate leaders through congested urban areas. The Bell 206L-4 is a model of versatility. EMS [Emergency Medical Service] aviators, law enforcement and civil agencies, petroleum companies - businesses of every variety will discover the outstanding utility of the Bell 206L-4 LongRanger.

Bell Helicopter, the most experienced helicopter manufacturer in the world, also reigns as the world's most dedicated to customer support. Qualified airframe, engine and avionics experts place a premium on your satisfaction. With every new aircraft purchase, Bell will provide ground school and transition flight training for one pilot. We will also provide your mechanic with field maintenance, electrical and components overhaul training.

Bell stands behind their product with a full library of technical publications and the best warranty in the industry. The decision to purchase a helicopter should not be taken lightly. So you should give some serious thought to purchasing a Bell 206L-4 LongRanger. Contact Crescent Helicopters for further information.

Crescent Helicopters - Bell 206L4

under whose operational control these 9 choppers will be? army or airforce or navy pilots. i dont think pak customs have any such capeability.

what makes u think helis are not related to airforce!
what about SAR helicopters which r stationed at major air-bases

PLZ, STRAT THINKING, SMART ,IF WE CAN MAKE, JF17,WE SHOULD ,START LOOKING TO MAKE OUR OWN COBRA,TOO, THE HEILs WHICH WE WERE GOING TO BY FRM OUR SELFISH FRIEND, USA, WILL BE GROUNDED, WHEN WE NEEDE THM AT MOST, LOOK AT HISTORY?

PLZ, STRAT THINKING, SMART ,IF WE CAN MAKE, JF17,WE SHOULD ,START LOOKING TO MAKE OUR OWN COBRA,TOO, THE HEILs WHICH WE WERE GOING TO BY FRM OUR SELFISH FRIEND, USA, WILL BE GROUNDED, WHEN WE NEEDE THM AT MOST, LOOK AT HISTORY?

ok please stop posting unless you can move your hand slightly to the left and turn off caps lock.
Secondly they are not looking at cobra's they are looking at general purpose helicopters.
Thirdly Do you know how much R&D is required to start up a new program (for 9 helicopters)
Forth the embargo prevented new purchases but the more complex F-16's managed to remain operational so i think helicopters would have no problem.

In future engage brain before posting. Thanks.......

dear, hi, dont be, so , confident, and also plz stop acting, like tht u know every thing, no 1 in this world knows all, so be cool, i was jst, putting, a idea, which was nt bad at all, if we can built, subs, missills,aircrft, so why shoud nt try, to,built, helicopptors,transport or attack ones, nevermind, whtever,bt the main thing is tht, at least we, should apply our owen resourses ,to at least, get rid of poor and unreliable,assistance by our selfish friends like briton, and usa. be cool, have good, luck, plz also start, admiring , uneducated, folks like me, after all , most of the population of ths world, still uneducated, hope u 4give me.

dear, hi, dont be, so , confident, and also plz stop acting, like tht u know every thing, no 1 in this world knows all, so be cool, i was jst, putting, a idea, which was nt bad at all, if we can built, subs, missills,aircrft, so why shoud nt try, to,built, helicopptors,transport or attack ones, nevermind, whtever,bt the main thing is tht, at least we, should apply our owen resourses ,to at least, get rid of poor and unreliable,assistance by our selfish friends like briton, and usa. be cool, have good, luck, plz also start, admiring , uneducated, folks like me, after all , most of the population of ths world, still uneducated, hope u 4give me.

1)I am not your "dear" so do not refer to me as such.

2)I do not claim to know everything however you seem to know nothing. As the saying goes "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

3)The things that have been been built or developed have been with other nations (JF-17/China Agosta/France) This means that development costs were either non-existent or shared. Development costs would make any acquisition ridiculously expensive (FOR 9 HELICOPTERS!!!!!!!) Even larger powers use outside assistance (including China) Go read up on the subject and then come back and try to sound smart.......

4)Some very smart people have not had formal education, and are still capable of amazing things. I am sure you have had a formal education, yet are unable to do basic research into these matters. Lack of education is forgivable. Patent stupidity is not......

Dear Dahmed,

Welocme to the forum. Its not a criticism but your slang, CAPS LOCK and use of commas are sometimes hard to understand and the points you are trying to make are lost. As regards your comment on Why Pakistan cannot make its helicopters is because you need a certain minimum requirement of say 300 helicopters before you can justify economically to set up local production. Also did not understand the part about "Briton" being selfish.

Best Regards

old post...anyway any further update/progress on the acquisition of these 9 choppers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom