What's new

Roadmap to AMCA

Birbal

Reaction score
Technology hurdles that India has to pass to create the AMCA and what foreign participation I feel is necessary:

Airframe & Stealth

ze.jpg

India has good metal and composites technology as proven by the Tejas, and should have little trouble with the materials for the airframe for the AMCA. Combining the Tejas experience with knowledge gained from the Rafale and FGFA assembly should make it straightforward to design a 5th generation airframe.

As for stealth, stealth shaping is not technologically difficult, and India will not have trouble with the necessary simulations and testing. Stealth coatings are a bit harder, and FGFA technology will be important, but India has good materials scientists and is also capable of developing the necessary coatings indigenously.

Avionics

India's+AESA+radar+development.JPG

India has already developed displays, FBW systems, world-class inertial navigation, etc. for the Tejas. The two components it has not made indigenously are the HMD and radar. The HMD, while not trivial, is definitely something that India will be able to develop in time for the AMCA.

The major problem is developing an AESA radar. India as been working on AESA development for the Tejas since the late 90s, and though it will have to buy a foreign AESA radar for Tejas mk.2, hopefully this radar will be ready in time for the AMCA. Technology transfers from the FGFA and possibly Rafale and Super Su-30 will be very helpful here. Certainly, making a fifth generation radar is no easy task. However, India should be prepared to compromise for a shorter range indigenous radar if necessary. The important thing is that if India develops an indigenous radar, it will be much harder to jam, as foreign countries wouldn't know the exact details of the radar.

Propulsion

GTX-35VS_Kaveri.jpg

The Kaveri will power the AMCA, but it has been experiencing serious delays, which has caused it to be delinked from the LCA Tejas program. Now, with French and Russian help, we're improving the engine, and should be able to utilize foreign help to bring it up to scratch as a 4th generation engine. Of course, we will need high temperature materials and other good technology for a 5th generation engine. Considering that the Kaveri was the first major engine project in India, this could prove a challenge. Nevertheless, an upgraded Kaveri should be sufficient to at least power the mk.1 variant of the AMCA. It might end up being underpowered relative to the PAK FA or the F-22, but will certainly still outperform the F-35.

Armament

indiaastra1vx4.jpg

India is already working on the Astra missile. The mk.2 version of the Astra missile will be the most important weapon for the AMCA. This will certainly be ready in time. As for the other weapons, they can be foreign supplied and indigenous weapons can be integrated as they are developed using experience from the Astra and Brahmos programs.

Manufacturing

P6032698.JPG

HAL certainly will have plenty of experience in high volume assembly and manufacturing thanks to its assembly of the Su-30MKI, Rafale, and FGFA in addition to the manufacturing of the Tejas.

Though the manufacturing base in India is not as big as that of the US or Russia, I expect that any delays in the serial production of the AMCA will be more than worth the cost savings compared to expensive Western manufacturers (take a look at the insane F-35 costs).

Conclusion

M

All of the challenges present in developing the AMCA are surmountable. The Tejas was an important step in the development of indigenous fighter aircraft. The two biggest stumbling blocks are the radar and engine. With foreign help, the Kaveri will become sufficiently powerful to be utilized in the AMCA. The radar will be much harder to develop indigenously. Nevertheless, even a suboptimal indigenous radar is a better choice than utilizing foreign help.

I think we can take help from France for Radar and Engine development. :tup:

I agree about engine development. However, aside from basic materials technology, we have to be very careful about involving foreigners in a radar project. What if France starts selling a radar jammer to India's enemies in the event of a war?

Fikar not, its not the main worry for now, the main airframe design is going on, radars and all that are secondary atleast for this one year, we will be focusing on design of mainframe, air tunnel testing etc. ...by the way, we can also make radars no??

eh i don't like the airframe (no offense) i don't think it'll last very long

eh i don't like the airframe (no offense) i don't think it'll last very long

It's not the final one, already the design has been changed two times... they will preparing a final report by april this year on the final dsign and specifications... besides, what the hell did you find wrong??

People do realize that these are just models and things can change, so what we see now might not be what the final product will look like.

Back
Top Bottom