What's new

Saudis want to buy T-90 instead of Al-Khalid?

I think, There were reports that S.A wanted AK's as training units, but i dont think the deal went through. could you please give an update Neo.

Malay,

Al Khalid has been offered to both KSA and SA but none has been materialised so far.
KSA is to be considered a potential client. SA might follow depending of the purchase of Rooivalk.

Pak, South Africa to strengthen defence ties

Monday April 17, 2006-- Rabi-ul-Awwal 18, 1427 A.H.

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and South Africa on Monday agreed to reinforce cooperation in areas of defence and military training.

An understanding to this effect was reached between Pakistani Defence Minister Rao Sikandar Iqbal and visiting South African Deputy Defence Minister M. George in the garrison town of Rawalpindi, an official statement here said.

"Iqbal briefed George on the capability and potential of the Pakistani defence industry and equipment, including lightweight aircraft, tanks, naval frigates and armoured personnel carriers, being produced in the country," said the statement.

The Pakistan-manufactured al-Khalid tank is currently undergoing trials in Saudi Arabia after the latter showed interest in it.

A number of countries in the Gulf and Middle East regions are regular buyers of Pakistani Super Mushshak or Cessna aircraft, manufactured at the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC).

Pakistan is also set to begin serial production of the JF-17 (Thunder) combat aircraft from next year, which it jointly manufactured with China. The aircraft has already carried out test flights in China.

Later, George also met Pakistani Minister for Defence Production Habibullah Warriach.

"The two sides agreed to undertake joint ventures in the areas of defence production and research and development," said the statement.

http://www.jang.com.pk/thenews/apr2006-daily/17-04-2006/main/update.shtml

Afaik, the AKs for KSA were/are only for Pakistani formations to be deployed in the Kingdom and not for the Saudi Army or NG.

THIS WOULD BE SAD I HOPE THE SALE GOES ON QUICK WHAT GAME IS BEING PLAYED MAYBE INDIA USING RUSSIAN INFLUANCE TO COUNTER PAKISTYAN DEFENSE ARMS SALE BECAUSE AL-KHALID IS AN ATTRACTIVE PRODUCT IN THE TANK WORLD RIGHT NOW IN THE TOP FOUR AT NUMBER THREE AND IF THE DEALS GO ON WE CAN REALISE OUR POTENTIAL COMPLETE...AFTER DEVELOPING THE PRODUCT ITS TIME TO MARKET AS WELL AND USE ALL POSSIBLE INFLUEANCE WITH THE ISLAMIC WORLD..AND IF SAUDIA DONT GO FORWARD SHAME ON THEM (DIGGING THEIR GRAVE WITH THEIR PURCHASES)

THIS WOULD BE SAD I HOPE THE SALE GOES ON QUICK WHAT GAME IS BEING PLAYED MAYBE INDIA USING RUSSIAN INFLUANCE TO COUNTER PAKISTYAN DEFENSE ARMS SALE BECAUSE AL-KHALID IS AN ATTRACTIVE PRODUCT IN THE TANK WORLD RIGHT NOW IN THE TOP FOUR AT NUMBER THREE AND IF THE DEALS GO ON WE CAN REALISE OUR POTENTIAL COMPLETE...AFTER DEVELOPING THE PRODUCT ITS TIME TO MARKET AS WELL AND USE ALL POSSIBLE INFLUEANCE WITH THE ISLAMIC WORLD..AND IF SAUDIA DONT GO FORWARD SHAME ON THEM (DIGGING THEIR GRAVE WITH THEIR PURCHASES)

The only thing attractive about the AK would be price. Although it has many modern functions (not sure how well they compare to western systems) it lacks protection and fire power. It is not even in the top 15 of tanks let alone #3

The only thing attractive about the AK would be price. Although it has many modern functions (not sure how well they compare to western systems) it lacks protection and fire power. It is not even in the top 15 of tanks let alone #3

Firepower wise, its not too shabby. Protection was sacrificed in view of mobility and the available infrastructure. Many other components like the FCS, engine and suspension on the tank are fairly comparable to other contemporary tanks. I am sure when you talk about top 15, its a paper comparison, there are quite a few in the PA who have done some time on the British Challenger, Leopard and even US Abrams and the consensus is that while AK may not have the best of it all, its decent enough to go into markets which already have western penetration and be in the running. The challenge with the successful export of AK is that its a tank that has been put together by Pakistan and requires certain components from other sources. This usually is the single biggest factor in not seeing a whole lot of export success. There are versions of AK for export market which are markedly different than what is in use in the Indo-Pakistan context and very comparable to those in the top 5-10 range (Top 5 being the western origin high-end MBTs).

However again the point is that for KSA, if the tanks go, they will be for the Pakistani formations in KSA (funded by KSA so when they return, they come back with their tanks as per what I have heard).

i dont think the saudi's dont need AK they already have the M1 A2. y would they want buy something inferior to what they already have

Firepower wise, its not too shabby. Protection was sacrificed in view of mobility and the available infrastructure. Many other components like the FCS, engine and suspension on the tank are fairly comparable to other contemporary tanks. I am sure when you talk about top 15, its a paper comparison, there are quite a few in the PA who have done some time on the British Challenger, Leopard and even US Abrams and the consensus is that while AK may not have the best of it all, its decent enough to go into markets which already have western penetration and be in the running. The challenge with the successful export of AK is that its a tank that has been put together by Pakistan and requires certain components from other sources. This usually is the single biggest factor in not seeing a whole lot of export success. There are versions of AK for export market which are markedly different than what is in use in the Indo-Pakistan context and very comparable to those in the top 5-10 range (Top 5 being the western origin high-end MBTs).

However again the point is that for KSA, if the tanks go, they will be for the Pakistani formations in KSA (funded by KSA so when they return, they come back with their tanks as per what I have heard).

That makes some sense for KSA having a reason to buy the AK.

Now onto the AK, it cannot compare to western MBTs it lacks armor and a long rod penetrator capable gun maxing out at about 560mm.

That makes some sense for KSA having a reason to buy the AK.

Now onto the AK, it cannot compare to western MBTs it lacks armor and a long rod penetrator capable gun maxing out at about 560mm.

Most of the markets where AK would be entering, the potential threat is not expensive western MBTs. Middle East has a vast inventory of Russian and older US armour against which the AK would be deployed. Not a bad option at all in such cases.

Most of the markets where AK would be entering, the potential threat is not expensive western MBTs. Middle East has a vast inventory of Russian and older US armour against which the AK would be deployed. Not a bad option at all in such cases.

I've also heard that srilanka is purchasing some Al-Zarar tanks from Pakistan after the ideas 2006. they r looking around 50 to 60 tanks in numbers.

Back
Top Bottom