What's new

Seven states qualify for secession response from White House

A.Rafay

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
WASHINGTON - US citizens in more than 40 states have filed petitions with the White House seeking to secede from the union, and by Wednesday, seven states had gathered enough signatures to qualify for a response to the largely symbolic protest. The petitions, which have been signed by a small percentage of state residents, have virtually no chance of succeeding. The United States’ bloodiest conflict, the 1861-1865 Civil War, erupted after 11 states withdrew from the union. The White House has set up a “We the People” page on its website that allows Americans to file petitions on issues of concern. If a petition collects 25,000 signatures, the website says, the administration will review and respond to it. The petition filed by Texas residents has racked up about 100,000 signatures. Six others from Louisiana, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama, Georgia and Tennessee have collected 30,000. Among the seven states, only Florida gave its electoral votes to Democratic President Barack Obama in last week’s election. The Texas petition says the United States is suffering from economic troubles stemming from the federal government’s failure to reform spending. It also complains of alleged rights abuses committed by agencies like the Transportation Security Administration. “Given that the state of Texas maintains a balanced budget and is the 15th largest economy in the world, it is practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union,” it said. A counter-petition has been filed calling for the state capital Austin to secede from Texas and remain part of the US.

Seven states qualify for secession response from White House | Pakistan Today | Latest news | Breaking news | Pakistan News | World news | Business | Sport and Multimedia

Here we go again: another thread on the petitions made by private citizens that people think means the states are applying to secede. NOT.

Here we go again: another thread on the petitions made by private citizens that people think means the states are applying to secede. NOT.

It may not be oetitions fron states itself but residents do want secession and What will be Obamas response to the seven states that have reached and surpassed the threshold required for a response??

It may not be oetitions fron states itself but residents do want secession and What will be Obamas response to the seven states that have reached and surpassed the threshold required for a response??

This should be posted as part of the existing thread. Why make a new one?

This should be posted as part of the existing thread. Why make a new one?

That thread was for discussing petition of 20 states which by now has gone to 50 State Petitions for seceding, And i was too lazy to search for it!

But this thread is for discusing what obamas response will be for those states who have passed the signatures needed. :enjoy:

uuhhhh! Silly me

No problem!

What is your problem with these threads ? America is still a free country ?

is it ?

Allowing threads on certain "preferred" topics to proliferate while others are consolidated or deleted speaks of a biased management style with an ulterior agenda. That goes against what is proclaimed.

That is the point, and is important because it undermines credibility. And then people wonder why that is so.

It is the petitions that are getting a response, not the friggin' states.

I can already see what's Obama response, it will be some like this

"As the President of the United States, i have read and consider the pain our Citizens feels, but we cannot move ahead if we do not hold the same value, so from today on, i, as President of the United States, will invoke patriot act to cancel the US Citizenship to those who sign the petition, if they have one. If you would like a state without America, you are welcome to leave out union. This is your president speaking"

LOL

I can already see what's Obama response, it will be some like this

"As the President of the United States, i have read and consider the pain our Citizens feels, but we cannot move ahead if we do not hold the same value, so from today on, i, as President of the United States, will invoke patriot act to cancel the US Citizenship to those who sign the petition, if they have one. If you would like a state without America, you are welcome to leave out union. This is your president speaking"

LOL

Such a response would be held in violation of the Constitution, because to be able to petition is one of the five rights of a citizen as enshrined in the First Amendment..

Another great constitutional right for Americans was the right to privacy. As this constitution grows older in come the Amendments.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom