What's new

Should Pakistan trade with India

Cheetah786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Before people shoot me down for suggesting this which i am sure i am oppening my self up to if we can Trade 2 billion/yr with Afhanistan why cant we start some thing with India on larger scale then we have now.
Keep in mind we have free trade with sri lanka and indian have been using that to sell there products in pakistan to begin with so why not we trade directly.

Why shouldn't iran start direct trade with israel after all iran is financing israle's defence industry indirectly through india.

Well first of all there is already trade going on between India-Pakistan but its limited because of govt. policies. Even after mumbai attacks the GoI didn't take decisions like cutting of trade, visa or diplomatic links. India also still maintains MFN status for Pakistan still.

Infact 2008-2009 trade was estimated at around USD $2B. But this is expect to result in a significant fall because of the security situation. Some say that it may fall by as much as 60%.
India-Pakistan trade to decline by 60 percent

The other thing is that a lot of informal trade through thrid countries takes place as well. UAE is estimated to account for another USD $2-3B of India-Pakistan trade.If this was done bilaterally it would be significantly cheaper.
Here is a good article on this issue.

The Hindu Business Line : New govts must use trade to resolve India-Pakistan problems

Before people shoot me down for suggesting this which i am sure i am oppening my self up to if we can Trade 2 billion/yr with Afhanistan why cant we start some thing with India on larger scale then we have now.
Keep in mind we have free trade with sri lanka and indian have been using that to sell there products in pakistan to begin with so why not we trade directly.

Brother iam all for it.... and no one should shoot you down for this only a moroun would do that with no brains and yes iam opening my self to anyone that doesnt have a brain. Second we already do a have a limited amount of trade with India! hence, only after tensions and other major issues are addresesd i dont think both gov's will make step or effort simple as that i always wanted to see both nations live in peace and have the trade increased but only time could answer our question here.

Pak traders face harassment at Indian trade fair

NEW DELHI: Pakistani traders faced losses and harassment at the hands of Indian customs authorities and intelligence agencies at the two-week India International Trade Fair, which concluded on Friday. Mazhar Mufti, representative of the Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry, who was coordinating affairs of the trade fair, said during the whole process, from the shipment of goods, clearance to their display at the exhibition site, Indian intelligence agencies and customs authorities created hurdles for Pakistani traders. Enormous delays in the clearance of containers caused massive losses to the traders popular Pakistani goods such as fabrics, handicrafts and marble products could not reach Indian customers in time. The Indian authorities had made arrangements for clearance of goods at Pragati Maidan after shipment, but the authorities had no electronic devices to inspect marble products, therefore each piece was inspected manually, causing the maximum possible delay in their clearance for exhibition, he said. Even limited passes were issued to Pakistani traders to enter their pavilion and storage facility was not provided at the exhibition site, which caused great inconvenience to the exhibitors, Mufti said. He said Pakistani food, food products, handicrafts and marble products were very popular in India which attracted huge crowed every day but even the Indians were disappointed when they failed to get Pakistani goods. The treatment meted out to Pakistani traders was unfortunate and they would leave Indian soil with great disappointment, he said. app

Why shouldn't iran start direct trade with israel after all iran is financing israle's defence industry indirectly through india.

Private Saudi investments in US total $400 billion
November 8, 2009
Saudi private sector investments in the United States last year reached SR 1.58 trillion ($400 million), according to the chairman of the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), Arab News reported today.

Al-Fadl expects private sectors investments in both countries to increase significantly in the future. “The US is the main trade partner for the Kingdom. Saudi Arabia also ranks among the 15 most important trade partners for the United Sates. The volume of trade exchange between the two countries last year was SR 193.3 billion ($51.55 billion), compared to SR 157 billion ($41.86 billion) in 2006,” Al-Fadl said, adding Saudi imports from the US were SR 45.9 billion ($12.24 billion), a third of total imports into the Kingdom worth SR 147.4 billion ($39.3 billion).

« Return

The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington, DC, USA

Throughout this four-year period, Saudi FDI represented approximately 35% of all FDI in the United States from the Middle East region. In each of these years, Saudi Arabia was the regions' single largest FDI investor in the United States. However, FDI is only a small portion of the total Saudi investments in the United States. Passive non-controlling Saudi investments in U.S. stocks, government and corporate bonds, commercial paper, bank deposits, and other securities are significantly larger than FDI.

In February 2003, total worldwide Saudi investment, including investment in the United States and Europe, was conservatively estimated at U.S. $700 billion. The United States received approximately 60% of the global Saudi investment allocation. (See exhibit #2)

Exhibit #2 Estimated Saudi Geographical Investment Allocation
(Publication: Middle East, London; February 2003 and IRmep)

There was much speculation about post September 11, 2001 Saudi geographical investment reallocation. One initial report of Saudi financial flows out of the United States estimated that $200 billion had left the United States between the autumn of 2001 and spring of 2002. The U.S. Treasury Department data on foreign portfolio movement includes Saudi Arabia in the category of "Other Asian". Treasury data revealed that between April and June of 2001, less than $1 billion had actually left the U.S. stock and bond markets. The speculation of Saudi investment flight may nonetheless contain some seeds of truth regarding the future. Several factors have already combined to make both direct and passive investments in the United States much less attractive for Saudi Arabia at a time when the United States needs it most.

Last i checked Indians arent selling any thing Arms wise they baught from israel to no one but we all no how much Americans are selling to The saudies u no the same country thats giving the stuff to israel for free.

if u dont wanna share some thing constructive please stay out.

Last edited:
Brother iam all for it.... and no one should shoot you down for this only a moroun would do that with no brains and yes iam opening my self to anyone that doesnt have a brain. Second we already do a have a limited amount of trade with India! hence, only after tensions and other major issues are addresesd i dont think both gov's will make step or effort simple as that i always wanted to see both nations live in peace and have the trade increased but only time could answer our question here.

I second that thought...in fact if we look at Indo-China border we have trade relation worth $53 Billion and still growing...In fact trade and people to people contact are one of the ways that help in much needed trust building exercise...Once we engage ourself and see the fruits of trade we will see how much we are losing because of the animosity...

I second that thought...in fact if we look at Indo-China border we have trade relation worth $53 Billion and still growing...In fact trade and people to people contact are one of the ways that help in much needed trust building exercise...Once we engage ourself and see the fruits of trade we will see how much we are losing because of the animosity...

The India Pakistan story is quit similar to many stories told in Bollywood, where either neighbors or friends or kins cannot go along each other. Where a neighbor will take a loss if that mean other neighbor is losing as well. This attitude is carried over by new generations instead of trying to correct themselves.

As you rightly said, trade is one way creating good relationship and a good environment can lead to resolution of issues. I know we saw a good time in recent past and how we were more accommodating then rigid. No issue can be solved when tempers are high, as then people start to look it as we are giving into each other.

Private Saudi investments in US total $400 billion
November 8, 2009
Saudi private sector investments in the United States last year reached SR 1.58 trillion ($400 million), according to the chairman of the Jeddah Chamber of Commerce and Industry (JCCI), Arab News reported today.

Al-Fadl expects private sectors investments in both countries to increase significantly in the future. “The US is the main trade partner for the Kingdom. Saudi Arabia also ranks among the 15 most important trade partners for the United Sates. The volume of trade exchange between the two countries last year was SR 193.3 billion ($51.55 billion), compared to SR 157 billion ($41.86 billion) in 2006,” Al-Fadl said, adding Saudi imports from the US were SR 45.9 billion ($12.24 billion), a third of total imports into the Kingdom worth SR 147.4 billion ($39.3 billion).

« Return

The Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington, DC, USA

Throughout this four-year period, Saudi FDI represented approximately 35% of all FDI in the United States from the Middle East region. In each of these years, Saudi Arabia was the regions' single largest FDI investor in the United States. However, FDI is only a small portion of the total Saudi investments in the United States. Passive non-controlling Saudi investments in U.S. stocks, government and corporate bonds, commercial paper, bank deposits, and other securities are significantly larger than FDI.

In February 2003, total worldwide Saudi investment, including investment in the United States and Europe, was conservatively estimated at U.S. $700 billion. The United States received approximately 60% of the global Saudi investment allocation. (See exhibit #2)

Exhibit #2 Estimated Saudi Geographical Investment Allocation
(Publication: Middle East, London; February 2003 and IRmep)

There was much speculation about post September 11, 2001 Saudi geographical investment reallocation. One initial report of Saudi financial flows out of the United States estimated that $200 billion had left the United States between the autumn of 2001 and spring of 2002. The U.S. Treasury Department data on foreign portfolio movement includes Saudi Arabia in the category of "Other Asian". Treasury data revealed that between April and June of 2001, less than $1 billion had actually left the U.S. stock and bond markets. The speculation of Saudi investment flight may nonetheless contain some seeds of truth regarding the future. Several factors have already combined to make both direct and passive investments in the United States much less attractive for Saudi Arabia at a time when the United States needs it most.

Last i checked Indians arent selling any thing Arms wise they baught from israel to no one but we all no how much Americans are selling to The saudies u no the same country thats giving the stuff to israel for free.

if u dont wanna share some thing constructive please stay out.

It does not say how much profit Saudis made!
Investment is one thing and financing is another thing.
Trading is one thing and trade balance is another thing.
Any how this does not explain the out flow of money from iran to israel via india!!!
$13bn: new record in Iran-India trade

On trade with india: every other day indian army cheif makes statement of launching millitary attack on Pakistan... some times limited some times nuclear.
They have also identified 5000 targets... in such senario i wonder how indians would respond who cannot even see their cricket team loosing and as a policy stop playing when they realise Pakistan have strong team.
I would say build a concrete wall to indian border.

It is good that India and Pakistan should trade as it will increase people to people contact and hopefully lessen tensions and it will also help in poverty reduction.however all outstanding issues should also be solved

Any how this does not explain the out flow of money from iran to israel via india!!!

On trade with india: every other day indian army cheif makes statement of launching millitary attack on Pakistan... some times limited some times nuclear.
They have also identified 5000 targets... in such senario i wonder how indians would respond who cannot even see their cricket team loosing and as a policy stop playing when they realise Pakistan have strong team.
I would say build a concrete wall to indian border.

The part I marked in bold is the very same reason why India and Pakistan should engage themselves in trade with each other. The only way to stop a war is to engage in economic benefits. When India knows that hitting Pakistan will affect Indian economy, and when Pakistan knows that its missiles might end up falling on its own plants in India, then we will have much greater reason to keep away from the war and war rhetoric.

However, building a wall on the border will only make enmity grow and such walls can never stop the negative sentiments, or the missiles, if you care about that.

You surely have some problems dude...This is not how you look at trade....It is not like we take money fom Iran and gave it to Israel...Trade is done when there is mutual benefit...If i go by your logic than Pakistan money is also going to Israel via china..Anyways as said such a conclusion is flawed....

China Israel Bilateral Trade | Israel's Trade Mission to China

On trade with india: every other day indian army cheif makes statement of launching millitary attack on Pakistan... some times limited some times nuclear.They have also identified 5000 targets... in such senario i wonder how indians would respond who cannot even see their cricket team loosing and as a policy stop playing when they realise Pakistan have strong team.I would say build a concrete wall to indian border.

Relax...I know you have lot of hatred for India but then one cannot take decisions out of sheer hatred...You might be well-off and thus India-Pak trade will not impact you but can do wonders to masses...it is better to have trade relations than a war even if indias are stupids...Don't you think so???

Titan and Cafe Coffe Day are already in Pakistan.

Nawaz's steel mills are trading with TATA Steel.

My company deals with 3 of Pakistan's major retailers. Been to Karachi on Business Visits.

Huge potential in Indo-Pak trade, says Pakistan delegation leader

Debabrata Das

Amritsar, Dec. 3

Relaxation of Government policies could see trade between India and Pakistan go beyond $20 billion.

This was stated by the leader of the Pakistani Delegate, Mr Najam Rehan at the Punjab International Trade Expo 2009, organised by the PHD Chamber.

Mr Rehan told Business Line, “Even a slight relaxation in the trade and commerce policies of the two countries would see trade going up to $20 billion initially. Going forward, trade between the two countries could be even more.

“Cotton exports from Pakistan alone have the potential to go into multi-billion dollars. Apart from this, Indian products are in much high demand in Pakistan. India has a potentially large market in Pakistan,” he added.

Currently, trade between the two countries stands at $5-7 million.

The deputy leader of the Pakistani delegation, Mr Mohammed Hafeez Ahmed, said, “As it stands, a lot of trade between the two countries is routed through Dubai. This makes it unviable for exporters on both sides as the cost of transport and logistics is very high.” Despite the low volume of trade, Indian products continue to be extremely popular in Pakistan. Mr Rehan said, “Kashmiri shawls in particular are very popular in our country. India is missing out on a large market with stringent policies.”

He further added that visa regulations for getting into Punjab were tougher than getting a visa for Delhi. “Despite the cultural similarities, the hospitality of the people, somehow getting a visa to visit Punjab is tougher than getting a visa for Delhi. This continues to hamper traders in Pakistan,” he said.

The Hindu Business Line : Huge potential in Indo-Pak trade, says Pakistan delegation leader

GB

Well first of all there is already trade going on between India-Pakistan but its limited because of govt. policies. Even after mumbai attacks the GoI didn't take decisions like cutting of trade, visa or diplomatic links. India also still maintains MFN status for Pakistan still.

Infact 2008-2009 trade was estimated at around USD $2B. But this is expect to result in a significant fall because of the security situation. Some say that it may fall by as much as 60%.
India-Pakistan trade to decline by 60 percent

The other thing is that a lot of informal trade through thrid countries takes place as well. UAE is estimated to account for another USD $2-3B of India-Pakistan trade.If this was done bilaterally it would be significantly cheaper.
Here is a good article on this issue.

The Hindu Business Line : New govts must use trade to resolve India-Pakistan problems

Yes, even though I hate Indian government and clowns who are running hindu terrorist organization. I think before we jump into major trade we need commitment from India to stop sponsoring terrorism in Baluchistan and NWPF/FATA area.

I think it will benefit both countries. India main Exports to Pakistan are, Sugar-cane refined, Dyeing, tanning materials, Organic chemicals, Engineering & IT sector, Agriculture (Tea Plantation).
I had chance to visit old tea manufacturing plant from British time in Kanol, Tamil Nadu. I was surprise to see tea plantation all over the mountains in Kanol. Pakistan can start tea plantation in northern area instead of wasting foreign exchange by buying it from Kenya and India via UAE and Singapore. Coffee plantation is also a good idea for Export purpose only. (read about Jamaican Coffee plantation)

185% GROWTH IN INDIA’S EXPORTS TO PAKISTAN: KAMAL NATH

Date : 09 Mar 2005

Shri Kamal Nath, Union Minister of Commerce & Industry, has said that a strong growth of 185% has been registered in India’s exports to Pakistan during the period April-November 2004 (US $ 314.54 million) as compared to US $ 110.48 million for the corresponding period in 2003-04, and a growth of 149% has been registered in imports from Pakistan during the same period of the current year.

The commodities where significant growth is registered include, man-made fibre (1145%); plastic & linoleum products (1864%); non-ferrous metals (1311%); rice – other than basmati (542%); ferro alloys (875%); pulses (759%); meat & meat preparations (521%) etc.

Yes, even though I hate Indian government and clowns who are running hindu terrorist organization. I think before we jump into major trade we need commitment from India to stop sponsoring terrorism in Baluchistan and NWPF/FATA area.

I think it will benefit both countries. India main Exports to Pakistan are, Sugar-cane refined, Dyeing, tanning materials, Organic chemicals, Engineering & IT sector, Agriculture (Tea Plantation).
I had chance to visit old tea manufacturing plant from British time in Kanol, Tamil Nadu. I was surprise to see tea plantation all over the mountains in Kanol. Pakistan can start tea plantation in northern area instead of wasting foreign exchange by buying it from Kenya and India via UAE and Singapore. Coffee plantation is also a good idea for Export purpose only. (read about Jamaican Coffee plantation)

Funny Indians think Pakistan is bad and supporting terrorism in India and we can do business with Pakistan if it stops support for Kashmir militants . The same thing you just said in reverse, see how similar views we have! :azn:

The fact is we are the worst nations that does not know how to solve problems together. (no one is better then other.)

Back
Top Bottom