What's new

Spanish S-80 Submarine Program

Arsalan

THINK TANK CHAIRMAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Originating from Scorpean the S-80 program is a bright prospect.

what do you think will it be good to invest in this project.

although very unlikely but still can be discussed as a prospect.

regards!

below here is the information collected fromvarious sources and shaped into a sort of article.

S-80 Spanish Project
The S-80 Class is a series of submarines of the Spanish Navy that is currently under construction. Initially there will be four units, with a future expansion to six, two of which are already in production by the Spanish company Navantia factory in Cartagena. Their fundamental characteristic is a new propulsion system, designed for a high degree of autonomy under water. Its mission includes: projection of naval power on land, naval special warfare, surveillance, protection of naval forces, and deterrence. The first will enter service in the Spanish Armada in 2013 and the second in 2014. The construction of the third in the series began in 2009. It is expected that construction on the fourth will begin soon, as well as the commissioning of two additional units.

Navantia is building its own S-80 design for the Spanish Armada. Spain’s new submarines will be larger boats with AIP systems as standard gear, as well as other important modifications. This article will cover the S-80 submarines’ capabilities and associated key events and contracts – including sub-contracts to American, British, and Italian firms.
dsc09607rf4jb1.jpg

Capabilities
The submarines of the S-80 class are designed to better complete their mission in threat scenarios. Their operational mobility will allow them to operate in remote areas, travelling discreetly at high speeds. Their air independent propulsion (AIP) system will ensure their ability to remain long periods of time in an area without being detected and their ability to operate in possible conflict zones.

Their capabilities include:

A combat system for multiple target acquisition in different scenarios.
The ability to transport personnel, including special operations forces.
Low noise and magnetic signatures in order to minimize detection.
Low radar and infrared signatures in order to minimize detection.

Specifications
Kind of submarine: SSK
Displacement (Surface): 2.200 t
Displacement (Submerged): 2.426 t
Length: 71,05 m
Beam: 11,68 m
Draught: 6,02 m
Propulsion:
3 diesel engines
1 electric engine
1 AIP reactor
Speed (Surface): 12 knots
Speed (Submerged): 19 knots
Range:
50/60 days of navigation in surface
20/30 days of navigation submerged at 4 knots
Complement:
3 Officers
4 Subofficers
25 sailors
8 Special Forces soldiers
Armament:
6 x 533mm torpedo launchers
DM2/A4 Torpedos
Mk48 Torpedos
Sub-Harpoon Block II missiles
Tomahawk TacTom Cruise missiles (range about 1600 km)

AIP System
Their propulsion system is electric, including an independent platform of the atmosphere (AIP), based on a fuel cell Fuel Cell UTC provided by the companies (the same company that provides fuel cells to ferry NASA) Abengoa and can be fed with oxygen and hydrogen, with high requirements of purity, which gives the condition 'anaerobic' to navigate immersion. A permanent magnet electric motor moves a fixed pitch propellers and special design that will void the cavitated high speed. The fuel used is bioethanol. The bioethanol will be treated by a process provided by the company Hynergreen (a company belonging to Abengoa) consisting of a combustion chamber and several intermediate Coprox jet that will transform the BioEtOH high purity hydrogen.

Among the waste gases from the reactions of your bioethanol there is a stream of high content of carbon dioxide and other trace gases are not burned completely during combustion. This gas flow is mixed with sea water by one or more Venturi eductores type mixer and then through a new system called SECO2 (or CO2 Removal System), whose development is given by the Spanish Bionet, and whose purpose is to dissolve the "bubbles" of CO2 in water to levels of discretion

regards!

It has components from American, British, and Italian firms, thus very unsuitable for us, especially since British and US companies are involved.

Better to go with French, German or least of all Chinese subs.

Incorporates 300MW PEM Fuel Cell
UTC Power to Design Fuel Cell for new Spanish Submarine
UTC Power, a United Technologies (NYSE: UTX - News) company, today announced that its UTC Fuel Cells unit will design and develop a 300 kW proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell power module for the Spanish shipbuilder NAVANTIA, S.A. for use in the Spanish Navy's S-80 submarine.

The 300 kW PEM fuel cell will be designed to operate on reformed ethanol and pure oxygen. The Spanish Navy will install the new fuel cell power modules on its S-80 model, 2,500-ton submarines as part of the air-independent propulsion system. The S-80 submarines are designed to protect the coastline. UTC Power President Jan van Dokkum said, "We believe the cooperation between NAVANTIA and UTC Power will lead to a technologically advanced, world-class oceangoing/littoral water submarine and reinforce the leading roles of NAVANTIA and UTC Power in their respective fields. This application represents a whole new market for our fuel cell technology."

NAVANTIA is a leading worldwide designer and supplier of military and civil vessels. The company is based in Madrid with offices and shipyards throughout Spain.

United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Conn., provides high-technology products and services to the building and aerospace industries. Its UTC Power unit, based in South Windsor, Conn., includes UTC Fuel Cells and is a full-service provider of environmentally advanced power solutions. With more than 40 years of experience, UTC Power is a world leader in developing and producing fuel cells for onsite power, transportation and space flight applications, and a developer of innovative combined cooling, heating and power applications in the distributed energy market.

This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning future revenues and business opportunities. Actual results may differ materially from those projected as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to the continuation and completion of the S-80 program by NAVANTIA and the Spanish Navy; challenges in the design, development, production and support of advanced technologies, such as the fuel cell power module to be developed by UTC Power; risks associated with the execution of any large-scale development project; as well as other risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to those detailed from time to time in United Technologies Corporation's Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

best regards!

It has components from American, British, and Italian firms, thus very unsuitable for us, especially since British and US companies are involved.

Better to go with French, German or least of all Chinese subs.

this is a good point.
must not relay on platform that can be sacked in time of need specially when we can get them from better suppliers.

regards!

well if we have money we can get any submarine we want from europe but conventional sub not the nuke

Mods, would you please care and close this thread?

Mods, would you please care and close this thread?

i am regratting the moment i started it..

but we must not let the threads be sabotaged by such trolls!

@ Kinetic, if you cannot do any good to forum why dont you get your but off??

i will appreciate if we can discuss the S-80 system or if mods think lets us close the thread. but this must not be done with out taking any action against the one who caused all this mess.

regards!

Scorpene Basic-AIP / S-80, S-80A

In 2003 the Spanish government ordered 4 Scorpene-AIP submarines worth €1,756 million under S-80 program to be built by IZAR. The Spanish Navy will replace current Agosta-class submarine fleet with four S-80 submarines.

arsalanaslam123

Don't you think we should focus to build more Augosta sub with technological up gradation and should try to overcome the technological deficiencies of this submarine rather then to procure any new submarine system

For this I think 2 possible strategies could be adopted
1 Rather to procure complete submarine we should import and integrate necessary systems and technologies with our Augostas.
2 Or we should start a JV with China in this sector using the existing Augosta technology as the basic for the development either completely new submarine or a new and improve version of Augusta.

Why i am insisting on this because after the induction of Augusta sub in our Navy if you remember their were report that we would be able to develop more sub indigenously as per our requirement, In other word this sub had to performe the role of the platform from where we had to build our own submarine industry but till now no progress have been made.

I know Augosta is of one generation of subs U-214 and S-80 is of more advance subs but with advance R&D we should try to fulfill our requirement indigenously.

I hope you and other senior members would shade some light on it.

arsalanaslam123

Don't you think we should focus to build more Augosta sub with technological up gradation and should try to overcome the technological deficiencies of this submarine rather then to procure any new submarine system

For this I think 2 possible strategies could be adopted
1 Rather to procure complete submarine we should import and integrate necessary systems and technologies with our Augostas.
2 Or we should start a JV with China in this sector using the existing Augosta technology as the basic for the development either completely new submarine or a new and improve version of Augusta.

Why i am insisting on this because after the induction of Augusta sub in our Navy if you remember their were report that we would be able to develop more sub indigenously as per our requirement, In other word this sub had to performe the role of the platform from where we had to build our own submarine industry but till now no progress have been made.

I know Augosta is of one generation of subs U-214 and S-80 is of more advance subs but with advance R&D we should try to fulfill our requirement indigenously.

I hope you and other senior members would shade some light on it.

i agree with your point of view,
the ideal case scenario will be to get some insight into westren systems, either it comes from a U214 deal or from more upgraded Agosta 90b subs.
then we can use this in a JV with china to modify the system as per our requirment and this technique can be fruitfulll.

i hope we can get Turkey into this program as well as they are going to fit there U214 with a lots of indegenious systems and that will be helpfull.

i really wish to see a Turkey-Pakistan-China JV in this feild, i hope this comes after we also have got some westren systems so that we can paly our part in the project.

regards.

Back
Top Bottom