What's new

Sri Lanka ‘sold’ 2011 cricket World Cup final: minister

ASKardar

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
COLOMBO: Sri Lanka “sold” the 2011 World Cup final to India, the country’s former sports minister said on Thursday, reviving one of cricket’s most explosive match-fixing controversies.

Mahindananda Aluthgamage, who was sports minister at the time, is the second senior figure to allege the final was fixed, after 1996 World Cup-winning skipper Arjuna Ranatunga.

“I tell you today that we sold the 2011 World Cup finals,” Aluthgamage told Sirasa TV. “Even when I was sports minister I believed this.”

Aluthgamage, sports minister from 2010 to 2015 and now state minister for renewable energy and power, said he “did not want to disclose” the plot at the time.

“In 2011, we were to win, but we sold the match. I feel I can talk about it now. I am not connecting players, but some sections were involved,” he said.

Sri Lanka lost the match at Mumbai’s Wankhede stadium by six wickets. Indian players have strongly denied any wrongdoing.

Ranatunga, who was at the stadium as a commentator, has previously called for an investigation into the defeat.

“When we lost, I was distressed and I had a doubt,” he said in July 2017. “We must investigate what happened to Sri Lanka at the 2011 World Cup final.”

“I cannot reveal everything now, but one day I will. There must be an inquiry,” added Ranatunga, who said players could not hide the “dirt”.

Sri Lanka batted first and scored 274-6 off 50 overs. They appeared in a commanding position when Indian superstar Sachin Tendulkar was out for 18.

But India turned the game dramatically, thanks partly to poor fielding and bowling by Sri Lanka, who were led by Kumar Sangakkara.

Sri Lankan cricket has regularly been involved in corruption controversies, including claims of match-fixing ahead of a 2018 Test against England.

Earlier this month, the Sri Lankan cricket board said the International Cricket Council (ICC) was investigating three unnamed former players over alleged corruption.

Sri Lanka introduced tough penalties for match-fixing and tightened sports betting restrictions in November in a bid to stamp out graft.

Another former sports minister, Harin Fernando, has said Sri Lankan cricket was riddled with graft “from top to bottom”, and that the ICC considered Sri Lanka one of the world’s most corrupt nations.

Former Sri Lankan fast bowler Dilhara Lokuhettige was suspended in 2018 for corruption relating to a limited-overs league.

He was the third Sri Lankan charged under the ICC anti-corruption code, following former captain and ex-chief selector Sanath Jayasuriya, and former paceman Nuwan Zoysa.

Jayasuriya was found guilty of failing to cooperate with a match-fixing probe and banned for two years. Zoysa was suspended for match-fixing.

SOURCE: https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2020/06/18/sri-lanka-sold-2011-cricket-world-cup-final-minister/

Making such claim without any prior investigation is a little immature. if he is that sure than what did he do about the issue. He was the sports minister at that time. If he did nothing then he is part of this setup. Although Cricket new formats could very easily be fixed.

Making such claim without any prior investigation is a little immature. if he is that sure than what did he do about the issue. He was the sports minister at that time. If he did nothing then he is part of this setup. Although Cricket new formats could very easily be fixed.
Multiple people are saying it was fixed. We all know the semi final pk-ind was fixed too. Sachin was out lbw to Ajmal. Just ask Ian Gould what he thinks. BCCI ruined cricket a long time ago.

Even the semi final between India and Pakistan was fixed. Pak could not
chase 250 in 50 overs on a batting pitch against an Indian bowling line up.

that’s more to do with the incompetence of Pakistanis batsmen than any brilliance of Indian bowlers

As far as Sri Lanka is concerned
They had been consistently loosing bilateral series to India since 2006 with most results being 6-1 or 5-2 in favour of India
so them loosing a final to India was not out of the ordinary

Multiple people are saying it was fixed. We all know the semi final pk-ind was fixed too. Sachin was out lbw to Ajmal. Just ask Ian Gould what he thinks. BCCI ruined cricket a long time ago.
Sore losers- Its just cricket- You win some and lose some.

that’s more to do with the incompetence of Pakistanis batsmen than any brilliance of Indian bowlers
Did you watch the semi final? Watch younis Khan and misbah once again. See what you think.

Sore losers- Its just cricket- You win some and lose some.
Let's be clear, I'm not "sore" as I truly don't care. There are good reasons that Pakistani cricket doesn't actually deserve any success these days - not since what happened in 1999 frankly. However, cricket globally is a crap game these days, ever since India turned it from sport into a Bollywood movie. There is no question multiple illegal fixes and borderline legal manipulations have occurred to drive India's position to the top. Anyone raising these suspicions gets burned. Simple.

Sreesanth was just the fall guy.

Did you watch the semi final? Watch younis Khan and misbah once again. See what you think.

Let's be clear, I'm not "sore" as I truly don't care. There are good reasons that Pakistani cricket doesn't actually deserve any success these days - not since what happened in 1999 frankly. However, cricket globally is a crap game these days, ever since India turned it from sport into a Bollywood movie. There is no question multiple illegal fixes and borderline legal manipulations have occurred to drive India's position to the top. Anyone raising these suspicions gets burned. Simple.

misbah lost u the 2007 World Cup by mis timing a single shot
Was that also fixed

misbah lost u the 2007 World Cup by mis timing a single shot
Was that also fixed
No. That was not fixed. I accept that t20 final defeat fair and square. It was an all time classic match. Thanks for reminding me. I vividly remember following it ball by ball on cricinfo. Good times.

Nothing- beaten squarely by the team on that day- https://www.bcci.tv/videos/91114

I agree, BCCI with all the money have ruined Cricket. BCCI indirectly controls ICC. Most of the matches are fixed. If u remember IPL scandal nothing happened because they are in the driving seat. Proper investigation should be done and action should be taken. But mark my words no investigation will take place hence no action taken.

India has also lost many times against Pakistan- Its just a game and treat it as so- Dont bring in imaginary justifications on losing.

I agree, BCCI with all the money have ruined Cricket. BCCI indirectly controls ICC. Most of the matches are fixed. If u remember IPL scandal nothing happened because they are in the driving seat. Proper investigation should be done and action should be taken. But mark my words no investigation will take place hence no action taken.
Cricket is actually broken beyond repair. The Indian tycoons and their Anglo Australian business partners make a quick buck at whatever cost to the game's integrity. The fights they get into are all corruption related or infighting over money and rights. Lalit Modi, Kapil Dev, etc. Why should they care about such things as integrity or the sport itself when bucks can be made? It's more "money ball" than cricket these days. I don't know if anyone has noticed but most cricket matches are boring as hell too. How anyone can stand the entire IPL calendar is beyond me.

India has also lost many times against Pakistan- Its just a game and treat it as so- Dont bring in imaginary justifications on losing.
Sir, there are several very clear instances of fixing, which if anyone denies, they surely haven't sat and watched a game of cricket in their whole adult life. Had India not won the 2011 world cup, there would have been riots in India for days. Several people made sure it happened as it needed to.

As for cricket in general, I'm not saying it's all fixed, but enough matches were fixed during the last two decades that it's ruined the sport irreversibly. I'm also not speaking with some blind patriotism here. I'm well aware of Pakistani cricketers involved in this corruption. I think now it's too late to save the sport.

Had India not won the 2011 world cup, there would have been riots in India for days. Several people made sure it happened as it needed to.
I dont agree- India won the world cup 2011 fair and square-At the most just like 1996 Semi Final loss would be the most that would have happened.

Back
Top Bottom