What's new

Start-up Adden Energy Develops EV Battery that Charges in 3 Minutes, Lasts 20 Years

dbc

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Reaction score
Country
France
Start-up Adden Energy Develops EV Battery that Charges in 3 Minutes, Lasts 20 Years

Developed by researchers in the lab of Xin Li, PhD, Associate Professor of Materials Science at Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS), the lab-scale coin-cell prototype has achieved battery charge rates as fast as three minutes with over 10,000 cycles in a lifetime, with results published in Nature and other journals. It also boasts high energy density and a level of material stability that overcomes the safety challenges posed by some other lithium batteries.

Adden Energy was co-founded in 2021 by Li, along with William Fitzhugh, PhD ’20, and Luhan Ye, PhD ’22, both of whom contributed to the development of the technology as graduate students in Li’s Harvard lab. Fred Hu, PhD ’93, founder and Chairman of Primavera Capital, is also a founder of Adden Energy.

@Hamartia Antidote @jhungary @gambit @RoadAmerica @F-22Raptor

Solid state batteries has been around for a long time. Problem is they don't store alot of charge.

Solid state batteries has been around for a long time. Problem is they don't store alot of charge.

not with this battery, the power density numbers are impressive . Plus it still retains 82% after 10,000 cycles. It kicks BYD Blade's a$$

• BYD Blade Gravimetric energy density: 165 Wh/kg (estimation)

The cycling performance of the lithium metal anode paired with a LiNi0.8Mn0.1Co0.1O2 cathode is very stable, with an 82 per cent capacity retention after 10,000 cycles at a 20C rate (8.6 milliamps per centimetre squared) and 81.3 per cent capacity retention after 2,000 cycles at a 1.5C rate (0.64 milliamps per centimetre squared). Our design also enables a specific power of 110.6 kilowatts per kilogram and specific energy up to 631.1 watt hours per kilogram at the micrometre-sized cathode material level.

Last edited:
catl already have this for mass production next year, not some lab work.. :D

80% charge in 10 mins

catl already have this for mass production next year, not some lab work.. :D

80% charge in 10 mins

true a lot can go wrong between lab tests and commercialization at scale. But 70% improvement in charge time, 60% improvement in energy density and a battery that will outlast the vehicle is still the holy grail of EV commercial penetration. Besides, you forget a solid state battery is an order of magnitude cheaper to mass produce than the liquid cooled QLIN battery. Finally, CATL doesn't talk about battery life in any online literature I could find. If (big IF) it's comparable to batteries that are now commercially available then CATL still has a long way to go before it can reach adden's level of performance and reliability. :coffee:

Let's check back in 2 years. Majority of start ups will fail trying to commercialize and operationalize their lab findings.

Chinese? He should come back to China
3202.jpg

I can't say anything if it's not being released.

Too many I read anything like battery breakthru, but never really see it in real life.

LG Chem from Korea and CATL from China are still dominating this EV battery production around 85 % of the current global supply. Both are making JV companies with Indonesian SOE (Indonesia Battery Corporation) from mining until finished EV battery pack.

I can't say anything if it's not being released.

Too many I read anything like battery breakthru, but never really see it in real life.
Yes let’s wait.let’s see if they can make a bigger cell than just coin sized cell.

from the article, the improvement they made is they found a new separator material. The stuff that separates anode and cathode. Nothing else. It’s important though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom