What's new

Suspected US missile strike kills 27 in Pakistan

Jihad

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD – A suspected U.S. missile strike by a drone aircraft flattened a militant hide-out in northwestern Pakistan on Saturday, killing 27 local and foreign insurgents, intelligence officials said.

Several more purported militants were wounded in the attack in South Waziristan, a militant stronghold near the Afghan border where al-Qaida leaders Osama bin Laden and Ayman al-Zawahri are believed to be hiding.

The new U.S. administration has brushed off Pakistani criticism that the missile strikes fuel religious extremism and boost anti-American sentiment in the Islamic world's only nuclear-armed nation.

Pilotless U.S. aircraft are believed to have launched more than 30 attacks since July, and American officials say al-Qaida's leadership has been decimated. Pakistani officials say the vast majority of the victims are civilians.

Taliban fighters surrounded the compound targeted Saturday in the village of Shrawangai Nazarkhel and carried away the dead and wounded in several vehicles.

Intelligence officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, said the victims included about 15 ethnic Uzbek militants and several Afghans. Their seniority was unclear.

Two of the officials said dozens of followers of Pakistan's top Taliban leader, Baitullah Mehsud, were staying in the housing compound when it was hit.

Pakistan's former government and the CIA have named Mehsud as the prime suspect behind the December 2007 killing of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto near Islamabad. Pakistani officials accuse him of harboring foreign fighters, including Central Asians linked to al-Qaida, and of training suicide bombers.

The accounts of Saturday's incident could not be verified independently. The tribally governed region is unsafe for reporters. The U.S. Embassy had no comment, while Pakistani government and army spokesman were unavailable.

Pakistani leaders told visiting American envoy Richard Holbrooke earlier this week that the missile strikes kill too many civilians and undermine the government's own counterinsurgency strategy.

Still, many analysts suspect that Pakistan has tacitly consented to the attacks in order not to endanger billions of dollars in American and Western support for its powerful military and its ailing economy.

Pakistan's pro-Western government, led by Bhutto widower Asif Ali Zardari, has signed peace deals with tribal leaders in the northwest while launching a series of military operations of its own against hard-liners.

However, government forces are bogged down in several regions and Taliban militants have sustained a campaign that has included a string of kidnappings and other attacks on foreigners.

On Friday, a shadowy organization holding an American employee of the United Nations warned it would kill him within 72 hours and issued a grainy video of the blindfolded captive saying he was "sick and in trouble."

Gunmen seized John Solecki on Feb. 2 after shooting his driver to death as they drove to work in Quetta, a city near the Afghan border.

The kidnappers identified themselves as the Baluchistan Liberation United Front, suggesting a link to local separatists rather than the Taliban or al-Qaida. They are demanding the release of hundreds of people allegedly held in Pakistan.

But officials say the group is unknown and has yet to contact the United Nations. Fears for Solecki's safety are intense after Taliban militants apparently beheaded an abducted Polish geologist. If confirmed, the Pole's slaying would be the first killing of a Western hostage in Pakistan since American journalist Daniel Pearl was killed in 2002.

Zardari said in a television interview that the Taliban had expanded their presence to a "huge amount" of Pakistan and were eyeing a takeover of the state.

He sought to counter the view of many Pakistanis that the country is fighting Islamist militants, who have enjoyed state support in the past, only at Washington's behest.

"We're fighting for the survival of Pakistan. We're not fighting for the survival of anybody else," Zardari said, according to a transcript of his remarks that CBS television said it would air Sunday.

Associated Press writer Ishtiaq Mahsud in Dera Ismail Khan contributed to this report.

Suspected US missile strike kills 27 in Pakistan

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So it continues..
I seriously wonder what's going on with our government and within our nation, especially when OUR president, Mr.Zardari says that the Taliban are in huge parts of the country and are about to "take over".
How can he say this? What possible president can be so weak in his words..

Intelligence officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media, said the victims included about 15 ethnic Uzbek militants and several Afghans. Their seniority was unclear..
Hopefully it's true and if it true then it's good news1

Hopefully it's true and if it true then it's good news1

if it's not true then? if it's proved there were civilians like the last one then? obviously, no one will show the pictures of those Uzbek militant! and if civilians are the victims then then what would be the response of local tribes?

So it continues..
I seriously wonder what's going on with our government and within our nation, especially when OUR president, Mr.Zardari says that the Taliban are in huge parts of the country and are about to "take over".
How can he say this? What possible president can be so weak in his words..

do you think Zardari has credibility in the eyes of nation? he just want to fear the rest of the world. Pakistanis know about his words. It's possible, tomorrow, he would contradict his own statement. ;)

At least 25 people have been killed in a suspected US missile attack in north-west Pakistan, officials say.

The missile strike hit a house in the South Waziristan area, near the Afghan border, which officials said was used as a hide-out for Taleban militants.

The Taleban confirmed 25 militants were killed in the attack. The US has not confirmed it launched the strike.

The US has carried out more than 20 air strikes from drones in north-western Pakistan in recent months.

Islamabad has long argued that such attacks complicate its own fight against insurgents, and says the strikes violate its sovereignty.

Pakistani leaders had expressed hope that the new US administration of Barack Obama would halt the controversial manoeuvres.

But earlier this week Mr Obama said there was no doubt militants were operating in safe havens in Pakistan's tribal belt and that the US would make sure Pakistan was a strong ally in fighting that threat.

Wanted militant

The latest suspected drone attack took place on Saturday morning in a village near the town of Ladha.

A house owned by a local clan member was struck by two missiles.

Witnesses in the area say the rockets were fired from a drone and say the house was frequented by militants from Pakistani Taleban leader Baitullah Mehsud's organisation.
The BBC's Shoaib Hasan, in Islamabad, says Mehsud is one of the most wanted men in the region.

Our correspondent says Mehsud is believed to be responsible for a number of atrocities, including the assassination of former Pakistan Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | 'US strike' kills 25 in Pakistan

The taliban have confirmed it, this is good news that 25 of these animals were killed. I hate to say this but right now we need American help more than ever, i am not just saying in terms of economic aid. We should get more military aid, i think more helicopter gunships will go a long way.

The taliban have confirmed it, this is good news that 25 of these animals were killed. I hate to say this but right now we need American help more than ever, i am not just saying in terms of economic aid. We should get more military aid, i think more helicopter gunships will go a long way.

Yes but why does our government continue to deny that there is any agreement with the Americans or whatsoever on these drone strikes?
Why are they lying against their own people?
I guess I don't mind if I see taliban and only the likes of taliban or other foreign radicals getting killed in these strikes, but it is only a short term solution to our bigger problem which is our stability problem, we need full support of the people for this, and the best way is if Pakistan performs these strikes herself with American technology/aid.

Back
Top Bottom