What's new

Taiwan tests new variant of Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missile

mosu

Reaction score
2012-11-13 — Taiwan tested its longest range ship-to-ship missile within a month of China putting its first aircraft carrier into service, a report said Monday.

Dubbed an “aircraft carrier killer”, the missile has a range of 400 kilometres (250 miles) and is capable of achieving Mach 3.0, or triple the speed of sound, the Taipei-based United Daily News said.

“The Chung-shan Institute of Science and Technology finished a series of tests off Taiwan last month,” it said, in reference to Taiwan’s arms development unit.

“No ship is capable of withstanding its high-velocity impact,” the paper quoted an unnamed military source as saying.

Taiwan’s defence ministry declined to comment on the report.

The missile was described as a long-range variant of the Hsiung Feng III, already installed on Taiwanese frigates and missile boats and designed to achieve Mach 2.0 with a range of up to 130 kilometres (80 miles).

China put its first aircraft carrier, the Liaoning, into service last month.

The Pentagon said the ship, a refurbished Soviet vessel, was the first step towards a future fleet of carriers expected to be built domestically in coming years.

Ties between China and Taiwan have improved significantly since the Beijing-friendly Ma Ying-jeou became the island’s president in 2008, vowing to adopt a non-confrontational policy towards the mainland. Ma was reelected in January for a second and last four-year term.

But China still regards Taiwan as part of its territory awaiting reunification, by force if necessary, although the island has governed itself since the two sides separated in 1949 after a long civil war.

Taiwan test-fires new ?carrier killer? anti-ship missile - Taipei Times

Anti ship missile is basically essentially life-line to any island nation, With a land base Anti-ship missile battery, and a competent radar and AWAC facility, they basically provide for a fully covered umbella to beyond visual range naval protection.

Looks like this is an act to counter the latest Chinese Aircraft carrier.

With a speed of Mach 3 and range of 400 km, it extend out of the Economic Exclusion Zone which stand at 370km

I would have to say the use is limited tho if they were actually intented to use on the Chinese Navy, as the PLAAF can send a sweep to the coast and hunter-killing those missile battery, unless there is a well defended airspace provided to the Taiwanese.

Taiwan may ask for a better airforce if they were to deploy these kind of coastal missile effectively

Taiwan test-fires new ?carrier killer? anti-ship missile - Taipei Times

Anti ship missile is basically essentially life-line to any island nation, With a land base Anti-ship missile battery, and a competent radar and AWAC facility, they basically provide for a fully covered umbella to beyond visual range naval protection.

Looks like this is an act to counter the latest Chinese Aircraft carrier.

I would have to say the use is limited tho if they were actually intented to use on the Chinese Navy, as the PLAAF can send a sweep to the coast and hunter-killing those missle battery, unless there is a well defended airspace proved to the Taiwanese.

Taiwan may ask for a better airforce if they were to deploy these kind of coastal missile effectively

Just need to think outside the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just need to think outside the box.

You serious? Is that thing real?

Goodness gracious.....

Can't help but to give you a thanks

EDIT:: Oh my god, they were......no wonder there are heaps of Container in Iraq......

Last edited by a moderator:
You serious? Is that thing real?

Goodness gracious.....

Can't help but to give you a thanks

EDIT:: Oh my god, they were......no wonder there are heaps of Container in Iraq......

LOL, but right now its just a concept. Wouldn't be too hard to actually do it. Besides this is Russian as you can see in the video.

LOL, but right now its just a concept. Wouldn't be too hard to actually do it. Besides this is Russian as you can see in the video.

Dude, i honestly think that was the new trailer or something like that for the new Transformer Movie..............Serious

There is also a variant of this concept, using the Kh-35 and a 20ft container (rather than a 40ft-er). I suppose it wouldn´t be to hard to built something like this with other missiles. Issue here is: the container is only the firing unit. Where/how are target data generated and fed to the missile? That´s where the rubber hits the road. (note the olive drab command / radar vehicle)

nga-thu-nghiem-thanh-cong-club-k-voi-ten-lua-kh-35ue-1.jpg

klubl.jpg

klub-k_radar_1.jpg

Íà÷àëî èñïûòàíèé ðàêåòíîãî êîìïëåêñà Club-K - ÂÏÊ.name
http://oplatsen.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/i-en-bla-container-fann-jag-dig/

Taiwan tests new anti-ship missile - Silobreaker

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom