What's new

Turkey- China military relation

monitor

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Alliance Of Convenience

A little-known fact that has gone largely unnoticed since the early 1990s has been the vital role played by Pakistan in the substantial expansion of Beijing-Ankara military-industrial collaboration over the last 17 years. Since 1985, Turkey has sent 18 military delegations comprising some 200 members while 14 Chinese military missions with about 330 representatives have visited Turkey at the same time. Sino-Turkish military-industrial cooperation began in the first half of the 1990s after Ankara’s negotiations with Washington for the joint production and technology transfer of the M-270 multiple launch rocket system (MLRS) failed. The US had then criticised Turkey for using US-supplied weapons for human rights abuses (against the Kurds), subsequently restricting weapons sales and military technology transfers to Turkey, and cutting off grants and loans earlier offered to Turkey for US-origin weapons. It was Pakistan which then informed Turkey that China was ready to fill the void, provided Turkey was willing to cooperate with China in the so-called fight against ‘Eastern Turkestan (Xinjiang)-sponsored terrorism’, namely to restrict, monitor and prevent the activities of Uyghur national organisations and leaders, most of whom were and are still based in Turkey. Consequently, since 1997 the Third Bureau (military attachés) of the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) General Staff Second Department (dealing with military intelligence) has been operating in Turkey as one of its most important, and presumably one of the most active, stations. Also in 1997, Turkey for the first time signed a contract with China for the procurement of 24 WS-1 302mm unguided rockets as well as 144 rockets for licenced-assembly in Turkey, to be supplied between 1998 and 2000. Turkey next began licence-producing the TR-300 rockets (or T-302, upgraded from the four-barrel WS-1B MLRS) under under the Turkish designation Kasırga (tornado).

In late 1998, based on a similar contract signed with the state-owned China Precision Machinery Import-Export Corp (CPMIEC), Ankara ordered some 15 of China’s most advanced short-range surface-to-surface battlefield support missiles (SSBSM)--the 150km-range B-611--and under Project J-600T, began license-producing an additional 200 more under a US$300 million deal. The first such missiles—known as Yıldırım (thunderbolt), were deployed as early as 2001. The solid-fuelled Yildirim-2 variant, featuring a 300km-range, was subsequently developed jointly by the defence industries research and development institute of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK-SAGE), Mechanical and Chemical Industry Corp (MKEK), and the state-owned China Aerospace Science and Industry Corp (CASIC), while it was series-produced by Roket Sanayii ve Ticaret (Roketsan). Another product jointly developed by TUBITAK and CASIC (and produced by Roketsan) since 2004 is the 70mm (2.75-inch) ‘Cirit’ guided air-to-surface missile, which is derived from the Tianyan TY-90 (Heavenly Swallow) air-to-air missile. The ‘Cirit’ features a semi-active laser homing seeker, Goodrich Corp-built SiIMU-02 inertial measurement unit (IMU) and a 3kg armour-piercing warhead built with Class 5 insensitive munitions. The 14kg, 1.9 metre-long missile has a range of 8km with a high probability of hit on a 3 × 3 metre target at this range.
Ra%2527ad+%2528above%2529+%2526+SOM+CALCMs.jpg

But perhaps the most noteworthy military-industrial collaboration undertaken thus far between Turkey, China and Pakistan is in the area of precision-guided munitions like air-launched cruise missiles (ALCM), and here again Pakistan has played a crucial role as facilitator. In the early 1990s, Pakistan’s Kamra-based Air Weapons Complex (AERO) sought Denel Aerospace of South Africa’s expertise for developing ALCMs for ground attack as well as a family of air combat missiles. In February 1996, soon after the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) concluded a $50 million deal with Italy’s Galileo Avionica for the supply of 30 Grifo-M3 airborne multi-mode pulse-Doppler radars for the upgraded Mirage IIIEAs, contractual negotiations began on a $160 million contract with Denel Aerospace’s Kentron subsidiary to cover the licenced-production by AERO of the latter’s U-Darter within-visual-range air-to-air missile (a reverse-engineered R550 Magic-2 missile developed by MBDA). Following this, AERO by April 1999 had commenced contractual negotiations with Denel Aerospace for co-development of an ALCM under a project codenamed H-4. Based on Kentron’s MUPSOW-1 design, which was unveilled in 1994, this ALCM was about 4.50 metres long, weighed about 850kg, had a 150km-range, housed an imaging infra-red (IIR) terminal seeker, sported twin dorsal air intakes and fixed horizontal and vertical tailfins, and had a rear-mounted turbojet engine, which was a reverse-engineered Turbomeca/Microturbo TRI 60-30 turbojet producing 5.4kN thrust and featuring a 4-stage-axial compressor. The AERO-built MUPSOW-1 comes armed with high-explosive runway-cratering bomblets. The successful results of this programme were made known to CASIC by 2002, and as expected, the 200km-range YingJi-63 (YJ-63, also known as KD-63) became China’s first land-attack ALCM and entered service with the PLA Air Force in 2005. Developed by the China Haiying Electro-Mechanical Technology Academy (CHETA, also known as 3rd Space Academy), the YJ-63 featured a ventral air intake, and was powered by a FW41-B turbojet, which was a reverse-engineered copy of the TRI 60-30 supplied by AERO to CHETA via CASIC, and which presently powers Pakistan’s MUPSOW-1 and the 350km-range Ra’ad (thunder in Arabic) ALCM; China’s YJ-63, the Yingji-83 or YJ-83 Eagle Strike 255km-range anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM), the Yingji-82 or YJ-82/C-802A 180km-range ASCM, the 120km-range CM-802AKG ASCM, 170km-range C-705 ASCM, WJ-600 unmanned combat aerial vehicle (UCAV), and the 290km-range C-602 ASCM (120 of which along with 60 transporter-erector-launcher vehicles have been acquired by the Pakistan Navy from CASIC); Iran’s ‘Karrar’ (striker in Farsi) UCAV; and lastly, Turkey’s 190km-range ‘SOM’ ALCM, which was unveilled internationally for the first time by TUBITAK-SAGE at the Defence & Security Equipment International (DSEi) exhibition in the UK between September 10 and 13 last year. The 600kg ‘SOM’, armed with a 230kg warhead, has been under development since 2006 and it made its first guided-flight on August 9 over the Black Sea. Just like the Ra’ad, the ‘SOM’ uses GPS/INS guidance during its cruise phase, and an imaging IIR seeker for terminal guidance. The IIR seeker can also be used for providing image-based mid-course navigation by taking snapshots of waypoints and comparing them against predicted position to update the navigation system. The ‘SOM’ also has a two-way data-link that allows in-flight re-tasking, and it is network-enabled. It is believed that in addition to providing the FW41-B turbojets off-the-shelf, CHETA, through CASIC, provided several critical design-based inputs based on sea-level and high-altitude wind-tunnel tests for both the Ra’ad and ‘SOM’ ALCMs. In that sense, the Ra’ad is nothing but a re-engineered MUPSOW-1 that features a stretched fuselage, a fixed ventral air intake and twin vertical tailfins, twin swivelling horizontal fins, weighs 1,200kg, has a 450kg high-explosive fragmentation warhead, has a length of 5.1 metres, diameter of 0.17 metres and a wingspan of 3 metres (with its twin horizontal fins deployed), and cruises at a speed of Mach 0.8.
FT-1+FT-2+and+FT-6+GPS-guided+PGMs.jpg

Apart from ALCMs, China is also helping Turkey to develop a range of GPS-guided glide-bombs. At DSEi 2011, TUBITAK-SAGE showcased the Hassas Gudum Kiti (HGK-1) GPS/INS guidance kit for Mk84 2,000lb-bombs, which bear a strong resemblance to China’s FT family of PGMs that have already been procured by the PAF. Turkey was forced to develop its own INS/GPS guided-weapons due to a reluctance by the US to provide the Boeing-built JDAM PGM—a void that China has yet again stepped in to fill. TUBITAK-SAGE claims that the HGK-1 was developed for the Turkish Air Force between December 2001 and February 2006. Guided drop-tests began at the end of 2005. TUBITAK-SAGE is working on designs for other bomb types, such as the 500lb Mk82 and 1,000lb Mk83. These PGMs will most likely use MILSPEC Py-code navigational updates from China’s ‘Beidou’ constellation of global GPS navigation satellites.—Prasun K. Sengupta
TRISHUL: Alliance Of Convenience

one thing i for sure has to applaud China for is their "i dont care" policy!

they don't care what the weapon is going to be used against, as long as it isn't against them or their interest.

while america several times have said no to weapons sale and have put embargo on us because of that.

i'm not hating america for it, just think they should act more like an ally instead of "human rights abuse"

Silko, a real friend tells you when you're doing wrong.
The human rights abuse is nonsense nowadays but I'm sure that we butchered a lot of innocent Kurds back then.

Sure, but why?

Because those were just Kurds or because they were separatist Kurds who took up arms, and started armed rebellion against the state?

CHINA TURKEY PAKISTAN great friends and will be great alliance in the future ........... Both china and turkey are always very brotherly to us and it will be a great achievement if both these countries join together in developing new weapons....... This will also help us in our quest of having minimum reliance on Weston plateforums for our defensive needs

We thank China for the help, looking forward to build more and bigger weapons together!

Cruise missiles will be a point of intrust for Turkey and also development of some new next generation fighter jet and i think china and Turkey must work together in minimization of problems with new Jet engine development.............

Silko, a real friend tells you when you're doing wrong.
The human rights abuse is nonsense nowadays but I'm sure that we butchered a lot of innocent Kurds back then.

we where wrong in helping our Turkish brothers in Cyprus to? cause from what i know, we got embargoed after "invading" Cyprus.

we where wrong in helping our Turkish brothers in Cyprus to? cause from what i know, we got embargoed after "invading" Cyprus.

Before this thread transcendences into a mud throwing match let's make a distinction between good military personnelle. We have still some bad eggs in the basket, these commanders etc. needs to be found and persecuted+ retired etc. I think the ergenekon case is a good example. We also had susurluk case.

But we also have soldiers who're doing their duty and people who've collaborated with the terrorists have become targets in some of these cases. These people have either been arrested or dealt with otherwise, perhaps JITEM is an example of this (don't know the whole case of jitem).

We did the right thing in Cyprus, thanks to Ecevit, I don't think any Turk questions that. And I think we also did the right thing supporting Azerbaijan with regards to Karabakh. However we can't escape from the fact that some corrupt military commanders had ulterior motives, that the current government and military has to clean up.

In the global polarization emerging China belongs to the Muslim camp - the camp of the Ummah. And Turkey is the Sword Arm of Islam. Japan, India, Australia-NZ and UL will be USA's major allies. Even an united Korea may side with China - or at least try to remain neutral.

I am sorry but the article is not correct for many aspects. Yildirim project is different not related with china and because of
Chinese ws-1 missiles they are in the self. Yildirim missiles was indigenous project of roketsan and tubitak but Turkish armed forces was already make deal for ws-1 aka kasırga. Also tubitak sage som and other projects(cirit) are also indigenous and not related with
Chinese technology and its engine is also french if i am not wrong. I look the source but I guess it is valid say it is only fantasy of
the author and he also does not give any references. Please don't believe everything you read especially the articles without
references.

regards.

I am a supporter of growing China-Turkey relations but article is all BS. According to article, Every single missile program of Turkish defence industry is based on Chinese technology and help which has nothing to do with the reality...

There is just two rocket-missile program that is commenced with Chinese tech transfer. They are Yildirim and Kasirga artillery rockets. Rests haven't got any connection with Chine... Claims in article is just based on apperarance of missile systems and never give any credible sources/connection to prove. The author is swiming in a fanstasy world to emphasize How strong relations Chine and Turkey have but The reality is different...

I am a supporter of growing China-Turkey relations but article is all BS. According to article, Every single missile program of Turkish defence industry is based on Chinese technology and help which has nothing to do with the reality...

There is just two rocket-missile program that is commenced with Chinese tech transfer. They are Yildirim and Kasirga artillery rockets. Rests haven't got any connection with Chine... Claims in article is just based on apperarance of missile systems and never give any credible sources/connection to prove. The author is swiming in a fanstasy world to emphasize How strong relations Chine and Turkey have but The reality is different...

yıldırım was mkek tubitak what they take from the china except the solid fuel technology ? And they are rockets not missiles thank you for correction.

What ever the source of technology turkey is going to become one of technologically developed Muslim country in the world .We will hope Turkey's rise as a Muslim super power will continued defying the conspiracy and problem . Long live Turkey:tup:

yıldırım was mkek tubitak what they take from the china except the solid fuel technology ? And they are rockets not missiles thank you for correction.

I didn't type anything for correction or not directed my statements for anyone. I just typed What I know but What I see with your statements is typed to favour yourself (with making fun with words) with false informations...

About the differences between the Missile/Rocket issue, Contrary to Kasirga, Yildirim has a guidance and CEP rate means Yildirim is able to navigate on a designated course to destroy a specific radius of area thanks to high explosive warhead...

Another issue, Despite Turkish Army uses both Kasirga and Yildirim as Medium and Long range Artillery systems, Actually, Yildirim Block-I and II are classified as SRBM (Short Range Ballistic Missile) (See/Check USA built ATACMS system Turkish Army uses)

Another one, At pesent, Roketsan and Tubitak is working on a guided version of Kasirga Rockets as well...

Additions, Yildirim is a China-Turkey cooperation program commenced with J code known by media. The Equivalent of Yildirim in China is known like B-611. I don't know Where you read that Yildirim is pure domestic system of Roketsan but It is certainly false...

Back
Top Bottom