What's new

Turkey is preparing to buy/make an aircraft carrier!

Unlike us, Thailand is an ocean-country, they are in danger because of China. An aircraft carrier will be dead ship in Mediterranean .

First of all there does not exist such classification of a country by 'Ocean-Country' And second of all as i said in recent comments its mainly use would be to ensure influance and increasing our pressence in other areas. Now you mension it actually why dont we just buy there carrier? I mean its a AC with V/STOL Capability but they are using it as a Helicopter dock, What a WASTE!!

So another Iranian talking about NATO and Turkey. It can be boring sometimes.

How can you know we are potantial danger for them?

Who needs permission? We constructed Milgems, planning to construct AAW-Frigates, LHDs and Multi-Purpose Frigates and no one asked for a permission to US.

well , IMO it is like this for European country : " Muslims countries = potential dangers " ...

I think you really misunderstand situation , you need permission , if they don't that Turkey hasn't AC , then they can stop their technological aids to Turkey .... but talking about it is useless and off topic ....

First of all there does not exist such classification of a country by 'Ocean-Country' And second of all as i said in recent comments its mainly use would be to ensure influance and increasing our pressence in other areas. Now you mension it actually why dont we just buy there carrier? I mean its a AC with V/STOL Capability but they are using it as a Helicopter dock, What a WASTE!!

I'm supporting using STOL Planes on ships like Juan Carlos I. But I think an aircraft carrier would be an overkill for TN.

Of course, TSK will decide this :laugh:

the carrier they operate is a joke. and beside, from what i have read it is nothing but a problem for them. very few times in water compared to it's spanish counterparts etc. beside, where are we going to get the money to a carrier group? the cost of operating them is to high for us. and in the Aegan, Black, and mediteranean sea it is a giant target for anyone acquiring carrier killer missiles!

not to forget how small they are. seems more like a LHD than a carrier!

Comon dude, Thailand is much poorer than Turkey and they have no problem in operating their carrier.

well , IMO it is like this for European country : " Muslims countries = potential dangers " ...

I think you really misunderstand situation , you need permission , if they don't that Turkey hasn't AC , then they can stop their technological aids to Turkey .... but talking about it is useless and off topic ....

There is no tech aid to Turkey. An example about Milgem, why would Germany assist to Turkey in a corvette project while they have a product that can sold to Turkey?

BTW, our democracy is more secular than some other European Countries, i think.

images

On December 7, 1941 a Japanese fleet built around six aircraft carriers with 423 warplanes carriers struck Pearl Harbor. And Japan had four more (mostly smaller) aircraft carriers on other duties at the time.

Sixty-four years later, how many aircraft carriers do all the Islamic countries in the world have in total?

Zero.

According to Wikipedia:
Nine countries maintain aircraft carriers: United States, United Kingdom, France, Russia, Italy, India, Spain, Brazil, and Thailand. In addition the People's Republic of China's People's Liberation Army Navy possesses the former Soviet aircraft carrier Varyag, but most naval analysts believe that they have no intention to operate it, but instead are using Varyag to learn about carrier operations for future Chinese aircraft carriers. Canada, the People's Republic of China, Japan, Pakistan, Australia, Chile and Singapore also operate helicopter-carrying vessels....

In the early 21st century, worldwide aircraft carriers were capable of carrying about 1250 aircraft. US carriers accounted for over 1000 of these; the second leading country, the United Kingdom fielded over 50 aircraft. The United Kingdom and France are both undergoing a major expansion in carrier capability (with a common ship class), but the United States will still maintain a very large lead.

So, Pakistan has some helicopter-carrying ships. That's it for all the countries in the world with Islamic majorities.

More aircraft carrier facts: The U.S. had 31 aircraft carriers fight in WWII, 22 of them full-sized fleet carriers. The U.S. currently has 12 aircraft carriers in service, ten of them nuclear powered, all of them larger than any other country's largest carrier. The nine Nimitz class flattops are 104,000 tons. The biggest foreign is the Russian Admiral Kutzenov at 43,000 tons.

aircraft-carrier.jpg

There is no tech aid to Turkey. An example about Milgem, why would Germany assist to Turkey in a corvette project while they have a product that can sold to Turkey?

BTW, our democracy is more secular than some other European Countries, i think.

because you could find another country to help you ....

but if all European decide that you shouldn't have AC , then they would become serious and make problem for you ... even they could make economic problem for your country .... they are west , they would become unit against any Muslims country in few days ....
at least they don't forget Ottoman empire

but if you have AC , that won't become a danger for my country , so as an Iranian I can say we haven't any problem with Turkey future AC ...

[/COLOR]
because you could find another country to help you ....

You don't know anything about Milgem, do you? If you can say which country do we receive help and ToT, it may help a lot.

BTW, some people claims USS Freedom and Milgem are related designs. I can't understand them, their specs are different, their size are different... USS Freedom is another doctrines ship while Milgem is a traditional corvette.

@Penguin can inform this ignorant people, i think.

turkish navy is the strongest navy in the Muslim world
i think they really need a medium size ac

Unlike us, Thailand is an ocean-country, they are in danger because of China. An aircraft carrier will be dead ship in Mediterranean .

Might wanna check their foreign policy, and their people's opinions , Thailand happens to be one of the most pro-Chinese nations

are you sure that NATO would give you permission to making/buying AC !? actually , IMO they seeing Turkey as a potential danger ....

Sorry but Who asked them to give us permission or not? NATO is an establishment to arrange the cooperability of the allies against a common enemy. The technological abilities of countries to develop thei own systems have nothing to do with NATO rules. There are just some basic quality standarts which every NATO members have to obey While ordering/developing.... That's why The products developed is called like "NATO product/NATO standarts"

Type "NATO" google to enlighten yourself about the subject you agreed on talking instead of trolling in pages. With this way, Noone has to respond such a stupid question...

lol this list looks like a joke ( not saying its wrong but weird) lol italy has 2 and UK has 1 spain has 2 and france 1 loool omgg USA 20 AIRCRAFT CARRIER THAT IS INCREDIBLE

If we want to be the regional power in Middle East we definitely need an aircraft carrier. Also if we want to be one of the most militarily powerful countries it is a must. Look at the countries with aircraft carriers:
Brazil (1)
France (1)
India (1)
Italy (2)
Russia (1)
Spain (2)
Thailand (1)
United Kingdom (1)
United States (11+9)
Aircraft carrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even Italy and Spain got 2 aircraft carriers. Heck Thailand got one!

Edit:
@ Manuz
I guess we can acquire one by buying it or making it ourselves, Turkey is in the end one of the best shipbuilder countries in the world. It is by the way Seymour Hersh who said that, i don't know where he gathered the intel. He says that Turkey is moving from a regional sphere to an international sphere and that the excessive developments within Turkish weapons industry demonstrates this.

Comon dude, Thailand is much poorer than Turkey and they have no problem in operating their carrier.

it has problem with operating it, i read somewhere that it is more out of service than in service some time ago.

beside it is a very small carrier, that costs to operate. and dont forget the carrier group it has to consist of. japanese helicopter carriers are bigger than the one Thailand has.

we can't just buy one and say ok, even countries like India used years to get a know how on how carriers work. beside, you would need STOVL airplanes. wich Turkey don't need at this point.

i would say come back wit carrier issue when we're in 2040 or something. not now!

I don't think we need an AC, now. We are not fully independent enough to equip our own army, navy and air force. Before acquiring an AC, we have to be on a point that we can build our own frigates, corvettes, destroyers, subs, MBTs, air defense systems, balistic missiles, etc.. If we get an AC before doing all that, Russia will get defensive against us, Iran will get defensive against us, Israel, Cyprus, Greece and other balkan states will get defensive against us. And I belive this is not the smartest move to make. Becuase it will reduce Turkey's potential cooperation possibilities with other regional countries. As we all know, Turkey is not a very liked country in the region because of its imperial history. We have to be smart, we have to act smart.

Besides that, an AC is a very expensive toy. I believe in simple equations. If we become a 1.8 trillion dollar economy, we get/build our first AC. If we become 2,2 trillion dollar economy, we produce at least half of a new AC on our own. And if we become a 2,5 trillion dollar economy, we fully produce our third AC by ourselves. (Minor changes can be made in the numbers, of course. These are the numbers that I assumed but 735 billion dollar economy is certainly not feasible enough to build/get an AC)

I think we shouldnt neccesarely get Aircraft carriers but rather atleast 2 LPDs with V/STOL capability. Its affordable and Cost-effective. So my openion is that we should go for the Juan Carlos Class LPD Specificly because it has V/STOL Capability. I just want to see the Turkish Navy with a AC or atleast something close to it !!!!!:argh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom