What's new

US Senator McCain warns China over move on disputed islands

Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
US Senator McCain warns China over move on disputed islands
July 25, 2012 12:59pm

WASHINGTON — US Senator John McCain warned Tuesday (Wednesday in Manila) that China was "unnecessarily provocative" in saying it will establish a military garrison on disputed South China Sea islands, and called for a multilateral solution to the dispute.

Beijing announced Monday its troops will operate from Sansha in the Paracel Islands, one of two archipelagos in the South China Sea that are claimed by both China and Vietnam. The move is likely to stoke further tensions in the region.

"The decision by China's Central Military Commission to deploy troops to islands in the South China Sea, which are also claimed by Vietnam, is unnecessarily provocative," the Republican McCain said in a statement.

He said other action by China including its appointment of legislators to govern such disputes "only reinforces why many Asian countries are increasingly concerned about China's expansive territorial claims, which have no basis in international law, and the possibility that China will attempt to impose those claims through intimidation and coercion."

The actions by Beijing "are disappointing and not befitting a responsible great power," he said.

"We must continue to urge all parties with territorial claims in the South China Sea to seek a peaceful, multilateral resolution that is based on international law."

Beijing did not say when the garrison would be established.

Disputes have flared in recent weeks, with Vietnam and the Philippines criticizing what they call Chinese encroachment. — Agence France-Presse

US Senator McCain warns China over move on disputed islands | GMA News Online | The Go-To Site for Filipinos Everywhere

Thanks Mr. McCain for raised yours voice of concern, to China the only way and it also a best way that Viet Nam could fight back. I really want to see on the date of 1/2013 when Viet Nam Laws of Sea activate.

That is also mean, Viet Nam Laws will allow and untie all forces to protect and served for Vietnamese Fishermen. I know, China's now doing a very big mistake and its wakes up all nations round her to be "Watch out on China".

I do believe that every problems has corresponding solution.Every leaders should think first about the people.War is not the solution to get what each country belong to them.they must talk and settle the problem in a very calm and peaceful manner.everyone will be happy then..have"PEACE ON EARTH.".

Thanks Mr. McCain for raised yours voice of concern, to China the only way and it also a best way that Viet Nam could fight back. I really want to see on the date of 1/2013 when Viet Nam Laws of Sea activate.

That is also mean, Viet Nam Laws will allow and untie all forces to protect and served for Vietnamese Fishermen. I know, China's now doing a very big mistake and its wakes up all nations round her to be "Watch out on China".

In fact many people know that China's claims unreasonable and illegal in SCS, but they did not dare to say.

Another warning from the US to china.

LOL

When US warns it says US is upto something practical, When China warns it is Communist propaganda to divert Chinese people attention and empty threat.
Common buddy we are hearing CCP warnings frequently aren't we.

I might be off topic: I was reading about China's territorial disputes on Google & Came to Know They Claim Philippines. I've posted a Video which is Chinese but there are articles available which claims that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
(Sigh).... Must be his age, it seems no one care about what he says anymore as I'm trying search other news outlets for his speech.

I fail to see what is the point of escalating tensions right now. There is simply no need fore Beijing to be so aggressive without a serious provocation. Same old story repeating again. One thing I am confident about is that Vietnamese government at least is not a suckular Congressi government unlike ours.

There is all the chance in the world to solve this peacefully but let's see how the Red Dragon sees this.

I fail to see what is the point of escalating tensions right now. There is simply no need fore Beijing to be so aggressive without a serious provocation. Same old story repeating again. One thing I am confident about is that Vietnamese government at least is not a suckular Congressi government unlike ours.

There is all the chance in the world to solve this peacefully but let's see how the Red Dragon sees this.
Yes, we understand every thought and action of the Chinese, we monitor all of their actions on the East Sea. we only act when there is emergency.

VN marine police launch Casa-212 aircraft fleet - Breaking news, sociey news from Vietnam on TuoiTreNews
VN marine police launch Casa-212 aircraft fleet
Vietnam Marine Police has launched a fleet of Casa-212 aircraft to monitor vessels in coastal areas, detect oil spills and coordinate rescue activities.
image.jpg

Engineers of Regiment 918 and marine police officers stand by a Casa-212 aircraft
Photo: Giao Duc Viet Nam

The launch was announced at a debut ceremony for the fleet held yesterday at the office of the Military Transport Flying Regiment 918 under Vietnam’s Air and Air Defense Force.

The Casa-212 aircraft is the latest version of the C212 model manufactured by Airbus. The plane accommodates a crew of three and can be used for long patrol journeys.

A Casa-212 is 16.1 meters long, 6.5 meters tall, and has a wingspan of 20.2 meters. The plane can fly at a maximum speed of 360 kph, with a range of 1,800 km.

The plane is also equipped with a MSS-6000 airborne maritime surveillance system which is made in Sweden.

The core of the MSS-6000 is a mission management system that links all available information together and presents a situation overview to the operator for interpretation and further action. The mission management system is based on GIS (Geographical Information System) technology, and the available information is presented against a backdrop of a digital nautical chart.

The Casa-212 can operate during the day and at night and in all weather conditions. It can take off and land at makeshift airports with short, narrow runways.

Equipped with two propeller turbine engines, the aircraft can fly at very low altitude, making it ideal for patrolling and identifying vessels at sea, spotting oil spills, and conducting rescue missions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom