What's new

US to provide $100 million for agriculture development in Pak and Afghanistan

pkd

Reaction score
A trilateral US-Pakistan-Afghanistan forum on agriculture has made a robust start in its first meeting held in Qatar with United States making initial commitment of $100 million as first tranche out of a hefty fund it promised to bolster agriculture in Pakistan and Afghanistan. “More money will flow as concrete projects get underway,” US deputy under secretary agriculture Burnham Philbrook observed in the plenary session. According to a message received here Friday, the meeting was organized in Doha by the US Embassy in Pakistan for security reason and to avoid visa and other complications envisaged in holding it in the United States.
Pakistan delegation that comprised nearly two dozen top agriculture experts and officials was led by the director general of the trilateral secretariat, Mr. Zahoor Malik.
Working groups comprising experts from the three countries in their deliberations focused on areas of food security, trade corridors and water management. Malik announced that the next meeting of the forum will be held in Pakistan in April.
Pakistan voiced its concerns on the dam being built on River Kabul with India’s assistance and suggested a profound engagement between Pakistan and Afghanistan to address these concerns.
Philbrook said development of agriculture in both countries was part of the strategy to boosting their economies, uplifting living standards of their people and winning the hearts and minds of the rural populace.
“We believe that peace depends on improving the lot of the people for which development of agriculture is vital because more than eighty per cent population depends on it,” Philbrook remarked. He said the United States intends to vigorously pursue the goal of agricultural growth adding that in case of Afghanistan it would also work as an incentive to farmers to stop planting poppy.
“Agriculture is key to making peace sustainable” Philbrook said while pointing out that drug trade is a major source of instability and funding for militancy in Afghanistan.
Responding to points raised by Mr. Malik in his welcome speech regarding the tardy approach adopted by the United States in the past in committing funds that has hampered progress in formulating policies and designing projects, Philbrooke assured that adequate and prompt funding would be provided to launch viable programmes in agriculture. He said the US secretary agriculture during his recent visit to the region felt more determined than ever to build international awareness about the importance of Afghanistan’s agricultural economy to its long-term security and sustainability.

US to provide $100 million for agriculture development in Pak and Afghanistan | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

A trilateral US-Pakistan-Afghanistan forum on agriculture has made a robust start in its first meeting held in Qatar with United States making initial commitment of $100 million as first tranche out of a hefty fund it promised to bolster agriculture in Pakistan and Afghanistan. “More money will flow as concrete projects get underway,” US deputy under secretary agriculture Burnham Philbrook observed in the plenary session. According to a message received here Friday, the meeting was organized in Doha by the US Embassy in Pakistan for security reason and to avoid visa and other complications envisaged in holding it in the United States.
Pakistan delegation that comprised nearly two dozen top agriculture experts and officials was led by the director general of the trilateral secretariat, Mr. Zahoor Malik.
Working groups comprising experts from the three countries in their deliberations focused on areas of food security, trade corridors and water management. Malik announced that the next meeting of the forum will be held in Pakistan in April.
Pakistan voiced its concerns on the dam being built on River Kabul with India’s assistance and suggested a profound engagement between Pakistan and Afghanistan to address these concerns.
Philbrook said development of agriculture in both countries was part of the strategy to boosting their economies, uplifting living standards of their people and winning the hearts and minds of the rural populace.
“We believe that peace depends on improving the lot of the people for which development of agriculture is vital because more than eighty per cent population depends on it,” Philbrook remarked. He said the United States intends to vigorously pursue the goal of agricultural growth adding that in case of Afghanistan it would also work as an incentive to farmers to stop planting poppy.
“Agriculture is key to making peace sustainable” Philbrook said while pointing out that drug trade is a major source of instability and funding for militancy in Afghanistan.
Responding to points raised by Mr. Malik in his welcome speech regarding the tardy approach adopted by the United States in the past in committing funds that has hampered progress in formulating policies and designing projects, Philbrooke assured that adequate and prompt funding would be provided to launch viable programmes in agriculture. He said the US secretary agriculture during his recent visit to the region felt more determined than ever to build international awareness about the importance of Afghanistan’s agricultural economy to its long-term security and sustainability.

US to provide $100 million for agriculture development in Pak and Afghanistan | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online
After all the anti-US sentiments in your country, why doesn't your population vote against accepting the aid money? May I ask why here the Pakistani citizenship remains silent?

I have seen almost every US and Europe oriented forum here where almost 9 out of 10 Pakistani members are against the Western involvement in anything of South Asia. Then why are your people silent at refusing US involvement of aid if it comes with conditions?

After all the anti-US sentiments in your country, why doesn't your population vote against accepting the aid money? May I ask why here the Pakistani citizenship remains silent?

I have seen almost every US and Europe oriented forum here where almost 9 out of 10 Pakistani members are against the Western involvement in anything of South Asia. Then why are your people silent at refusing US involvement of aid if it comes with conditions?

They cause billion of $ worth of damage in our country, and then they pay us back a small amount in "AID"?

Its like i rob you of 1 billion $ and give you back a few hundred as "AID" (and that too with strings attached to it;))

hahahahaah

Whole economy is down in Pakistan billion and billion of dollars of damage , alot of companies closing down , and we will get 0.001%

Assistace... lol ...

They cause billion of $ worth of damage in our country, and then they pay us back a small amount in "AID"?

Its like i rob you of 1 billion $ and give you back a few hundred as "AID" (and that too with strings attached to it;))
You are talking about damage caused for taking part in 'War against Terror' with US. Are not terrorism is a problem for Pakistan too??? If not, you could have refused US in assisting in her war....

Isnt 100 million a peanut?

I mean when someone is talking about two countries, a completely broken and the other one bent with WOT, 100 million can do nothing.
I mean do they have any plan what fruit they can get just by 100 million...

I will say just another hogwash by US.

You are talking about damage caused for taking part in 'War against Terror' with US. Are not terrorism is a problem for Pakistan too??? If not, you could have refused US in assisting in her war....

Terrorism wasn't a problem in Pakistan until the war with Afghanistan when the Taliban move into the tribal areas of Pakistan.So tell me who should be blamed for this

And please,we Pakistanis sacrificed 35 billion dollars of our economy. Thousands of people have died due to suicide bombing.Now there is no stopping of us now.This war has to end.

Terrorism wasn't a problem in Pakistan until the war with Afghanistan when the Taliban move into the tribal areas of Pakistan.So tell me who should be blamed for this

And please,we Pakistanis sacrificed 35 billion dollars of our economy. Thousands of people have died due to suicide bombing.Now there is no stopping of us now.This war has to end.
Please tell me how did US rob you of billions of dollars in so many years? Everytime Pentagon is the one who has made the military/economic aid to Pakistan.

How is it US's fault that Taliban felt you to be ideal supporters and moved to your country? I mean, isn't managing the border outposts of Pakistan, the responsibility of Pakistani security forces? If your government has not fenced your borders properly with right kind of border monitoring systems, how is it US fault?

Now the Afghanistan-Pakistan border is considered to be porous and therefore infiltrations are naturally bound to happen. With a terrorist organization looming just in your immediate neighbourhood, shouldn't it be Pakistani government's responsibility to be all the more vigilant about the possibility of a spill-over?

Honestly, if there were Taliban kind of lunatics running around in Italy or France borders with us, the entire Swiss population would be up in arms against our border! You have a large force and the benefit of manpower, what were they doing when the WoT started?

Let's just sum this argument up: 9/11 happened; US asked Taliban to return Osama; Taliban refused; USA attacked and dismantled Taliban; the Talibans ran into your country considering it their family property; and now you say that you now face difficulty because of USA?? I don't think the US begged Taliban to infiltrate your border.

If you as a sovereign nation cannot protect your borders, how is a third country responsible? Pakistan as a sovereign nation had the right to abstain from cooperating with USA and excuse itself as a neutral country. Who had stopped your country from being non-involved spectator? Now don't tell me that USA blocked your option to protect your own borders.

Back
Top Bottom