What's new

What is the Best fighter jet for Sri Lanka Air force?

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

1)Su-35BM
2)J-11B
3)Typhoon
4)F-18 Super Hornet

JF-17 will replace F-7 in Sri Lanka so don’t bring JF-17 here.
JF-17 will be the only single engine aircraft operated by Sri Lanka, No room for F-16 & J-10.

Sri Lanka need a twin engine Multi-role Air Superiority Fighter.

So what will be good, Comments Welcome.

1)Su-35BM
2)J-11B
3)Typhoon
4)F-18 Super Hornet

JF-17 will replace F-7 in Sri Lanka so don’t bring JF-17 here.
JF-17 will be the only single engine aircraft operated by Sri Lanka, No room for F-16 & J-10.

Sri Lanka need a twin engine Multi-role Air Superiority Fighter.

So what will be good, Comments Welcome.

That should depend on the needs. Sri Lanka doesn't seems to face any external hostility, must be purchasing for defense only. So JF17 should be sufficient. Su35BM is good, but AFAIK J11 should be economic. I dont think it has budget or need for Typhoon/hornet.

What is its current inventory?

for the replacement of mig23/mig27; a small squadron of Su-30MK2V (same as Vietnam's su-30 with minor modifications) is better..around 10 of them would cost appx $450-475 million.
i do not think so that f-7 would be retiring soon perhaps after 2015..
by that time sri lanka can get a more agile version of FC-1 block II/III about 10 of them might cost $230-270 Million..
wise would be for sri lanka to spend on air defense systems and before jumping to any twin engine drag these mig23/27 and f-7 to its limits by 2015 thru 2016 while sri lanka's economy should have become more stable they can spend on 30 hi tech 4+ generation fighters..(su-30 and FC-1)
americans already have problem with sri lanka with all that bs human rights thing i say russia is a good stop!

No doubt it should be Typhoon.
If price is a problem, F-18 should be the one.

J11 is not even in the league. Su-35 is a cost effective solution but compromises on the quality.

No doubt it should be Typhoon.
If price is a problem, F-18 should be the one.

J11 is not even in the league. Su-35 is a cost effective solution but compromises on the quality.

And what will they do, spending so much on the planes? They dont have any enemies, do they?

I'm sure in next 5/6 year sri lanka would be able to acquire 2 squadrons of fighter jets of different league replacement for mig-23/mig27/f-7 will definitely be due in next 5/6 years...J-11B is definitely in the league but russia would be looking for a direct sales i don't think so it would allow China to sell J-11s to sri lanka...
my verdict su30 and FC-1 makes a very good air force for sri-lanka later on replacement of kafirs with FC-1.

depends on SLAF needs - i dont think SL has any 'external' threats and 'internal' threats may still be a possibility - therefore a multi-role fighter would be most suitable - then comes the 'cost' - how much SL can afford - i dont think they can afford a US40-60m dollar / unit cost aircraft - i would think a a/c in the US20m / unit would be afforable - if that is the case, then the JF-17(FC-1) comes to mind - alternately the SL could pick up EDA's from France like the MirageM2K, which after upgrades could be had for the 20m dollar price tag - u would then get AD and well as CAS.

Srilanka should opt for some JF-17 Thunder... Suits the role of Sri lankan airforce, a good fighter aircraft indeed.... Sri lanka should get that instead of wetern stuffs at this moment..

considering atleast 12 units (su-30) i'm sure in next 5/6 years sri lanka would be able to afford them with minimal upgrades..by next 5 years i don't think so m2kmirage would be a good contender for sri lankan air force the time is now because by that time FC-1/J-17 would have become more potent light weight multirole..realistically i don't think so sri lanka would go for mirage m2k thought its a fine fighter jet for multi purpose considering its price tag..

considering atleast 12 units (su-30) i'm sure in next 5/6 years sri lanka would be able to afford them with minimal upgrades..by next 5 years i don't think so m2kmirage would be worth buying the time is now because by that time FC-1/J-17 would have become more potent light weight multirole..

Buddy, Suk 30 would not be a better option for them... They need good fighters which will not affect there maintenance .. JF-17 is the best option they got at this moment... And they can go for J-10in future, but now JF-17 is best for them

But ifthey need a double engine one, then srilankan airforce can opt Sukhoi 30 but that will cost a hell lot of money and for maintaining aswell

aren't they maintaining mig-23/mig-27? would it be hard to maintain 12 units..:blink: of course FC-1 is their future i bet..

aren't they maintaining mig-23/mig-27? would it be hard to maintain 12 units..:blink: of course FC-1 is their future i bet..

One squadron of front line figters is never better than 4-5 sqadrons of JF-17's....U can get that for 15 million$ if am not wrong, and a good fighter in its class.. Sukhoi 30 Will not comeunder 45 million $...

Sri lanka can have good number of JF-17 in there pocket...

Budget isn't a huge issue in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka is doing much better than Pakistan. It has some really great relations with India. Who knows their next purchase could be LCA Tejas.

They don't need 10s of squadrons, they just need 20-30 planes, so they can opt for any plane they want.

Back
Top Bottom