What's new

Why does Pakistan Army use G3

Mercenary_ali

New Recruit

Reaction score
One thing I know about G3 is that its not just an assault rifle but a more powerful battle rifle which can penetrate level III body armor without any AP bullets.
:sniper:
As here are a lot of experts so can you ppl tell me that aren't rifles using 5.45 or 7.62 x 39 mm rounds like Famas, M4,AK74 or Ak103 respectively, are somewhat better than g3.
:guns:
Many NATO nations use Hk416 and modern guns so why dosent PAkistan. On tv I mostly see that our soldiers have either G3 or type81 chinese Ak47's. M4's and Ak74 and 103 are only used by Special forces.
:police:
:pakistan:

Great rifle. Why not? Accurate, reliable. Full-sized .308 cartridge. Suitable for a range of battle conditions. You manufacture it and your army is set up logistically to receive and train rifle marksmanship with it.

Is anything there incorrect?

Little call to change unless you begin making something else. Why'd you do so would be an equally perplexing question. What's to gain at what cost?

Great rifle. Why not? Accurate, reliable. Full-sized .308 cartridge. Suitable for a range of battle conditions. You manufacture it and your army is set up logistically to receive and train rifle marksmanship with it.

Is anything there incorrect?

Little call to change unless you begin making something else. Why'd you do so would be an equally perplexing question. What's to gain at what cost?[/QUOTE]

changing the basic small arms is quite costly. the size of the army is huge ~500,000 soldiers and officers. eventually the army will switch to a more modern version of the same or some indigeneous production model!:enjoy:

The G-3 is a great rifle but the cartridge can be a problem, it is impossible to aim on fully automatic, the recoil's a problem at first and you need a lot of room to carry the ammunition around as compared to a 5.56 mm. On the bright side it can blow holes into brink walls, it can blow through most body armor (helpful against Indian forces) and if it hits its unlikely the bad guy will get up again unlike the 5.56. And the new glass-fiber versions is considerably lighter (some soldiers complain they heat up quicker but in my experience that happens with the wooden ones as well, so I suggest just wearing gloves if you have a lot of ammo to waste;)).

Last edited:
Yar the same problem with aiming is found with the 7.62 chinese SMG we use in Islamabad Police, but despite its weaknesses our boys prefer it to the M4, SIG 550 and MP5.

Personally i am big fan of the M4 we have in Sihala (Thank you State Dept):D

The coalition forces currently engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan usually complain of poor body armour because their standard issue armour keeps getting penetrated.

How Safe Is the U.S. Army's Body Armor? - TIME

Why? Because the opposing forces are using full scale battle rifles, packing a brutal punch with the 7.62mm cartridge. And that's how it SHOULD be. 5.56 isn't a battle worthy round in my opinion. You get a bit more accuracy and ammo with it but 7.62 does the job it's supposed to do. And it's been doing that for over half a century now.

POF's G3 all the way! Changing your army's main choice of assault rifle takes a lot of patience, training, and money. Instead of introducing a complete new design, we should focus on developing modifications for the current G3. Or better yet, come up with a complete new design based on the HKG3.

In fact, we already did! POF's PK-8 would be likely to replace the G3. And yes, it's a 5.56. Shaukat Aziz is holding the PK-8.

686ca556fec6c26c4c3942725f4c9578.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah man, with G3 you can still cause serious damage to tissue from a distance or up close as the entry & exit wound would be considerably large, tremendous loss of blood.
The problem with M16 ammo is that if it doesnt "yaw" at close range , it is nothing more than hitting someone with an ice pick since it is a very slim bullet. Or is that only the case while using a barrel with a twist rate of 1:7???
I am sure a more knowledgeable member can lay down the ballistics
basics!

"Because the opposing forces are using full scale battle rifles, packing a brutal punch with the 7.62mm cartridge."

Do you consider the AK-47 to be a full scale battle rifle? If so, we know the 7.62mmx39 doesn't equate ballistically to the NATO full-cartridge 7.62mm?

Being hit by a 5.56mm from an M-4 might be more catastrophic than you imagine. That round tumbles considerably on impact. The internal damage caused and the exit wounds can be unbelievably nasty.

Being hit by a 5.56mm from an M-4 might be more catastrophic than you imagine. That round tumbles considerably on impact. The internal damage caused and the exit wounds can be unbelievably nasty.

Your are right actually. didnt realize there was this whole science behind 5.56. Seems confusing. its like you gotta know what ammo you got & distance etc. That only comes with experience & good ammo.

Unlike Army who used it for various purposes, G-3 for airforce guys only meant one thing: Torture..:angry:

In PAF, G-3 is primarily used as a drill rifle and also to sort out the naughty ones especially during the extra drills. While many enjoyed the afternoon siesta before assembling for the games, one could always spot few dare devils (who were on extra drill) running around in 40 degree heat of Risalpur’s parade square with G-3s above their heads and the drill sergeant shouting like hell....It wasn’t the good feeling at all...Oh did I mention the frog jumps with G-3 still above your head....It was really heavy and perhaps I shall give it the credit for all the biceps and triceps that were made during those years!! :tup:

Despite all my hate towards it, one thing was sure: it was really sturdy and well built. During those endless route marches and camping’s, we tossed it, threw it, dragged it on the roads and abused it in all possible ways but the damn thing never broke. I think it served its purpose very well but still it won’t change the fact that guys in Blue never liked it for my many reasons.

guys in Blue never liked it for my many reasons
yes sir! you guys like things which are just a little bit more expensive eh!

"Being hit by a 5.56mm from an M-4 might be more catastrophic than you imagine. That round tumbles considerably on impact. The internal damage caused and the exit wounds can be unbelievably nasty..."

No doubt, but the 7.62x39mm is larger in mass and is more aerodynamically unstable, therefore it tumbles more after impact, tearing through flesh and bones and creating a larger exit wound.

"No doubt, but the 7.62x39mm is larger in mass and is more aerodynamically unstable, therefore it tumbles more after impact, tearing through flesh and bones and creating a larger exit wound."

No doubt. If it hits you...:D

G-3 is good for aimed shots for ranges 100 - 300 meters. with a sniper scope and a bipod it becomes a deadly sniper rifle. For infantry, in dug out position, it is the best weapon to take out advancing enemy, while firing from bunkers. Its no good for CQB, due to weight, recoil and length of the weapon itself.

The better weapon for CQB, confined places is M4 carbine or 7.62x45 mm SMG chineese, used by Pakistan Army. Army also uses MP5A2, however due to low muzzle velocity and low bullet kinetic energy, it is effective till 50 meters only.

Back
Top Bottom