What's new

Why Indian SSN/SSBNs are Superior to Chinese ones?

We don't have any SSN program in the pipeline, neither i think it's strategically that important. As nuclear reactor driven engine tends to be more noisy then Diesel electric. So, for a submarine hunter role, i'd prefer a diesel electric with AIP submarine and SSBN's for long range strikes.

But SSN can dive much deeper in comparision with diesel electric submarine like Scropenes - 300m
Akula II - 600m

SSN can easily increase naval footprint of any navy many times:wave:

The title should be changed from Indian SSBN to Indian navy Russian made SSBN.

Indian SSBNs(Arihant) aren't being made by Russia, they r manufactured in India although the Russian did provided technical help.

However, since really specs of Arihant r still not out as its still facing sea trials n no matter how noisy Chinese SSBNs r they r already inducted in big no.
So, this thread doesn't serve much purpose....:agree:

I don't understand why India start to develop SSBN so late, when China made it at 1980s. Is there any reason behind that?

I don't understand why India start to develop SSBN so late, when China made it at 1980s. Is there any reason behind that?

Money dear we were nearly bankrupt by 1990 only after reforms in 1991 our economy started to improve n real growth only started after 2001 so thats why u see the diff in the two economies...

We had the Russian Charlie nuke sub from 1988 to 1992 n the basic knowledge of nuke subs but no money n infrastructure to support it...:undecided:

Money dear we were nearly bankrupt by 1990 only after reforms in 1991 our economy started to improve n real growth only started after 2001 so thats why u see the diff in the two economies...

We had the Russian Charlie nuke sub from 1988 to 1992 n the basic knowledge of nuke subs but no money n infrastructure to support it...:undecided:
I think developing SSBN cost India too much, but it is the only way to get respect in the nuclear club countries. Japan want to build a SSBN desperately, but USA wont allow it happening. Lucky for India~

I think developing SSBN cost India too much, but it is the only way to get respect in the nuclear club countries. Japan want to build a SSBN desperately, but USA wont allow it happening. Lucky for India~

There r various reasons for SSBN/SSN development in India -
1. It completes the nuclear trid n its the most important deterent considering 2nd strike capability

2. Nobody will or can sell u SSBNs or even SSNs (only Russia provided us Akula but u don't see such favours from any other nation to even closest allies).

3. Helps in mastering miniature nuclear reactor tech

4. Increases naval footprint round the globe for any navy thereby increasing its ability to guard its national interests.:agree:

OP wanted to prove indian subs were better and got banned.

let this be a lesson to us all. chinese stuff is king in defence.pk :)

OP wanted to prove indian subs were better and got banned.

let this be a lesson to us all. chinese stuff is king in defence.pk :)
he got banned for trolling. Period

Nice, you completely ignore the fact that they are Russian. For gods sake china buys Russian engines and copies/steals Russian stuff.

Is it hard to have a logical argument?
We copy the airframe ,nothing more.

This was an extremely secret project to begin with. India started everything late from missiles to subs. China was launching ICBMs in late 1960s while India wanted to be welfare state thanks to Nehru. Fortunately 1962 and Chinese nuclear explosion was loud enough to wake up lazy *** Indians up. The gap was already huge in 1960s.

Now I don't know how China did it in 1980s, maybe China was lucky to have some western trained submarine designers or maybe designs were obtained from somewhere. India on the other hand sent 80+ engineers all over the world to study submarine designs while Charile class was explored and used to train our people. Those people came back and designed our submarine. Now India is wide and clear about its ssbn/ssn plans.

5 Nuclear subs are reported to be under cons right now in India. 3 being Arihanth and 2 being bigger in size or speculated to be the follow on class whose cons was approved in 2008.

Because self-delusion makes indians happy :lol:
troll1.gif

Living in the troll world seems to give you immense orgiastic pleasure! Snap out of it and enter the real world for a change. :P

It's either you've missed my point, or your delusion is refusing the fact.

It was meant that even our diesel subs are quiet enough to play with the US navy, let alone our nuclear ones.

Diesel-electric subs are always inherently quieter than nuclear ones. Thats a universal fact.

You've figured it the other way round, genius.

References: -

“The beauty about a diesel submarine is that it has the potential to be far quieter than a nuclear submarine,” says Guy Stitt, president of AMI International, a Bremerton, Wash.-based company specializing in naval market analysis. Diesel boats are propelled by batteries when submerged and move through the water by diesel engines when on the surface.

Diesel-electric submarines, the US Navy's latest annoyance | nationaldefensemagazine.org

This was an extremely secret project to begin with. India started everything late from missiles to subs. China was launching ICBMs in late 1960s while India wanted to be welfare state thanks to Nehru. Fortunately 1962 and Chinese nuclear explosion was loud enough to wake up lazy *** Indians up. The gap was already huge in 1960s.

Now I don't know how China did it in 1980s, maybe China was lucky to have some western trained submarine designers or maybe designs were obtained from somewhere. India on the other hand sent 80+ engineers all over the world to study submarine designs while Charile class was explored and used to train our people. Those people came back and designed our submarine. Now India is wide and clear about its ssbn/ssn plans.

5 Nuclear subs are reported to be under cons right now in India. 3 being Arihanth and 2 being bigger in size or speculated to be the follow on class whose cons was approved in 2008.

There are 4 (not 3) Arihants in construction (1 completed, 2nd one fitting out, and 3rd
and 4th ones undergoing hull fabrication by L&T) And there are 3 (with option for 3 more)
Avinash-class SSBNs in early stages of works right now. Total 7 SSBNs.

Its likely that after the 3 (or 6) Avinash-class subs are ready, IN may consider converting
all Arihants to SSGNs carrying 1,200-km ranged sub-launched version of Nirbhay or
LRCM cruise missiles.

The leasing of a 2nd Akula-II SSN (with option for buying at end of lease term, just like
the first one) is being seriously considered by IN top brass.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom