What's new

Wikipedia Is Blocked in Pakistan Over ‘Sacrilegious’ Content

walterbibikow

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
1675489527278.png

Pakistan has blocked Wikipedia services in the South Asian nation after the platform failed to remove “sacrilegious” content.

The action was taken because some of the content is still available on Wikipedia after the expiry of a 48-hour deadline, Malahat Obaid, spokesperson for Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, said by phone.

The authority is still in talks with Wikipedia officials and it will consider unblocking the platform if the content is removed completely, she said. A representative for Wikipedia didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

PTA on Wednesday said it "degraded" Wikipedia services in the Muslim majority country for not complying with its order to remove the “unlawful” content. Blasphemy is a sensitive issue in Pakistan, whose laws condone capital punishment for anyone convicted of affronting Islam ☪️

View attachment 914966
Pakistan has blocked Wikipedia services in the South Asian nation after the platform failed to remove “sacrilegious” content.

The action was taken because some of the content is still available on Wikipedia after the expiry of a 48-hour deadline, Malahat Obaid, spokesperson for Pakistan Telecommunication Authority, said by phone.

The authority is still in talks with Wikipedia officials and it will consider unblocking the platform if the content is removed completely, she said. A representative for Wikipedia didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

PTA on Wednesday said it "degraded" Wikipedia services in the Muslim majority country for not complying with its order to remove the “unlawful” content. Blasphemy is a sensitive issue in Pakistan, whose laws condone capital punishment for anyone convicted of affronting Islam ☪️
I believe certain Indian propaganda infused pages should be blocked instead of whole site.

LOL. Pakistanis suffering due to someone's writing of wiki.
Either get the pages moderated to check before any submissions or just get them reported to be removed and if not removed block them.

Either get the pages moderated to check before any submissions or just get them reported to be removed and if not removed block them.
A specific page on Prophet Mohammed has medieval paintings of him. They have been there for long. I had seen them before, slightly surprised, but no big deal as they were 15th century art etc., Someone here in U.S. local college used them in his history class or Islam and all hell broke loose. Some students wanted to have the teacher fired for this offence. This is what triggered someone in Pakistan, I think. Interestingly, no other Muslim country is bothered by this. Some paintings are in a museum in Turkey.

It’s almost as if they think Wikipedia will comply 😅

I think industry experts call this phenomenon a ‘self goal’

No use. Indians are fully in control over there. You'll find their propaganda on the most random of threads.

BTW, I am against blocking wikipedia. Not saying it should be blocked wholesale.

It’s almost as if they think Wikipedia will comply 😅

I think industry experts call this phenomenon a ‘self goal’
Stupid Pakistanis. They think they can control big companies like twitter with the weak-*** rat breeding game.
You gotta have numbers for that game.

No use. Indians are fully in control over there. You'll find their propaganda on the most random of threads.

BTW, I am against blocking wikipedia. Not saying it should be blocked wholesale.

Stupid Pakistanis. They think they can control big companies like twitter with the weak-*** rat breeding game.
You gotta have numbers for that game.
The issue is with medieval art.

Back
Top Bottom