Women man border outposts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONNAN

Reaction score
Country
India
Women man border outposts - India - The Times of India

AMRITSAR: The women cadets in Border Security Force (BSF) are raising the bar. At a time when women are still waiting for permanent commission in the Army despite a government notification, they were recently made part of Beating the Retreat ceremony at Wagah. And now, they have been put on night vigil at our border outposts — after months of non-combat duty.

Considered the country’s second line of defence, border outposts are barely a couple of hundred feet inside the international border. It may not be long before BSF women recruits begin patrolling the international border round-the-clock.

During a visit to a border outpost near the Indo-Pak border in Amritsar district, TOI observed a young female constable on night duty. Fully alert and not displaying even a speck of fear, the young sentinel stated matter of factly, “What is there to fear? I am a trained soldier and always ready to challenge any miscreants or infiltrators from Pakistan.”

Undertaking regular exercises and drills along with their male colleagues during daytime, these women are ready to take on any kind of duty. Although assigned separate boarding, they share the mess with others. Initially, the duties of these gun-wielding female constables were limited only to frisking the womenfolk going beyond the border fence to till their fields. Not any more.

BSF, which came into being on December 1, 1965, took almost five decades to induct women in its ranks. The first batch was included in the force last September.

bad idea. women have no business in roles where combat is a possibility. even if the bar for physical strength and stamina is kept the same as for men which i doubt is the case.

@ nihaopakistan

Your nick triggered a memory of mine not from distant past.There was this Chinese girl in my office,who use to greet me by saying "Ni Hao",every morning I went to the office,with a matching smile on her face.Now,I didn't have any clue what is meant by "Ni Hao".So one day,I asked her,and she explained to me that it is a polite way to say "Hello" or ask "How are you" in Mandarin Chinese.

Good nick,I will say....Enjoy your stay in this forum!!!

Wagah-border_20100723.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom