What's new

Compulsory Military Training for Pakistanis

simple Brain

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
For decades compulsory military training for Pakistani youth has been a subject of debate. However, this crucial issue has had always become more of a political debate than a strategic necessity.

Currently Pakistan has only 640,000 active military personals, and we have pretty much the same numbers of military reservists. The upcoming wars will be ferocious it will inhale millions in a matter of time and if we do not have at least 4-8 million well trained youth yet alone we might not get a chance to even safeguard our borders, penetrating through enemy lines seems far fetched dream to be honest. (Apart of Nuclear war, Apart of how many allays we will have, it's a debate for the later stage).

Countries that we call allays, like Iran, Turkey etc they all have mandatory military training for their civilians when they turn 18. As far as our youth is concerned 90% of them kill their enemies in PUB-G. Though we Pashtuns have a history of using weapons against their enemies even we aren't equipped or trained enough to stand against well trained adversaries in an open combat (I'm referring to US, UK etc not India).

For many times I have wrote to GHQ that they must start at least a 3 months military training for those Civilians who are eager to protect their motherland voluntarily, always got this response "don't worry we are here to protect our Civilians, if our Civilians starts to learn how to fight what good use do we have as soldiers?" I believe this dialogue looks great when we are at peace, not at war.

Need your valuable opinion on this guys!

**Note Pakistan is not at state of war other then India

Let us be clear
  • No State of War with USA
  • No State of War with UK
  • No State of War with Australia
  • No State of War with any nation of world beside India

In South Korea all people age 18 go thru Military Training of 1 year to be prepared against North Korea

Not sure exact duration however it is mandatory

• Only time exempt is granted is if it is Pro Soccer player etc. playing overseas so they make a special request to delay the training till later part of life

a) In Pakistan's School , well technically we don't have a culture of Fitness , so any training will likely be a hindrance as many students will shy away from physical activities. Highschools don't have Gyms

Military Training does requires a certain level of Physical Fitness

b) Many Youth live all their lives with their family , so the concept of boarding school or living away from their family is a daunting task at a certain young age

• If Pakistan makes Gyms , mandatory with each High School , so students have access to physical fitness tools it covers the need of Military training from a fitness perspective

The Weapon's training is generally easier aspect which can be held in Small weekly seminars and practical

I feel living away 2-3 Months is valuable learning tool to build character

I favor
  • a) Sports
  • b) Gym accessibility and Mandatory grades /participation 3 years part of highschool
  • c) Camping Knowledge

Last edited:
People should encouraged to take up voluntary weapons training especially
those who live in border areas. But I wouldn't make it mandatory for
everyone.

This is exactly correct, a national draft is a need of the hour. Even if 100,000 soldiers are raised from a national draft, even that would be a huge benefit to Pakistan's defenses, given how big the enemy is.

This is what all sensible nations have done - starting from the Romans, to today Israel, South Korea, Switzerland, Taiwan. Anyone facing a larger enemy and with sensible leaders has always instituted a draft.

PMIK also wants this but the Pak military wants to continue with the traditions of the British Indian Army and refusing to get bigger. It is as if they are wanting to ensure that Pak doesn't have the military capacity to retake Kashmir.

For decades compulsory military training for Pakistani youth has been a subject of debate. However, this crucial issue has had always become more of a political debate than a strategic necessity.

Currently Pakistan has only 640,000 active military personals, and we have pretty much the same numbers of military reservists. The upcoming wars will be ferocious it will inhale millions in a matter of time and if we do not have at least 4-8 million well trained youth yet alone we might not get a chance to even safeguard our borders, penetrating through enemy lines seems far fetched dream to be honest. (Apart of Nuclear war, Apart of how many allays we will have, it's a debate for the later stage).

Countries that we call allays, like Iran, Turkey etc they all have mandatory military training for their civilians when they turn 18. As far as our youth is concerned 90% of them kill their enemies in PUB-G. Though we Pashtuns have a history of using weapons against their enemies even we aren't equipped or trained enough to stand against well trained adversaries in an open combat (I'm referring to US, UK etc not India).

For many times I have wrote to GHQ that they must start at least a 3 months military training for those Civilians who are eager to protect their motherland voluntarily, always got this response "don't worry we are here to protect our Civilians, if our Civilians starts to learn how to fight what good use do we have as soldiers?" I believe this dialogue looks great when we are at peace, not at war.

The thing is if you conscript people they will not have the motivation as those who are there on their own will. Mandatory military service is basically enslaving your own people...

But I agree we don’t have a fitness culture in Pakistan. There should be more nation wide fitness contests and championships. In Germany they have something called „Bundesjugendspiele“ (a big sports event hold at schools) and the bests get special rewards and a certificate signed by the president.

We need more air conditioned gyms :D.

Alternatively don't see a harm , civilian Shooting Clubs should be setup where you attain license to use weapon but only practice the Shooting on a Range i.e. Safe environment

• The weapon owned by club , and locked at club
  • Training Provided on Pistol
  • Semi Auto

Just like you have Cricket Club, there should be formal Shooting Clubs , You pay a fee to become a member and get proper license

The club should be 0% noise emission requirement to outside or should be located outside of city

The training can also yield good quality Competitors for Olympic Pistol Shooting and Rifle shooting events

Last edited:
we should take a close look at reservist/draftee model used by USA. its a time tested and combat proven.

US model takes a civilian put him through a boot camp and thrust him into war as soldier.

do not teach them more for god sake they are already uncivilized and blood thirsty if we teach everyone with guns and let him go he may be zombie for life time .

NO
If we only manage to nab Iranian loyalists, sympathizers and abettors, our defense budget would drop to 1/2.
Next stop calling in army for rescue, build roads, make ventilators, import masks, why not train civilians for that.

we should take a close look at reservist/draftee model used by USA. its a time tested and combat proven.

US model takes a civilian put him through a boot camp and thrust him into war as soldier.

This is a need of the hour and the only way Pakistan can get the numbers to win a Kashmir war. It is a sad day that Pakistan Army has refused to trust Pakistan's own citizens and holds fast to the old British Indian Army ways.

**Note Pakistan is not at state of war other then India

Recreation Sport Shooting or weapon's training sounds like a safe fun recreational sport
it could be a fun activity for Youth

The activity should be 100% on Club grounds
  • I think this would also reduce illegal weapon's ownership in Pakistan
  • POF ammo can be used by consumers generating revenue for POF :big_boss:

Instead of direct sales , sell it to Clubs and let people train on safe environment
  • a) Protective gear usage
  • b) Safty consideration while operating a weapon
  • c) Safe area to practice
  • d) Some form of ranking system for grading

POF%2BMade%2Bweapon%2B%2Bbuy%2BPOF%2Bmade%2Bweapons%2Bfor%2Bself%2Bdefence.jpg

Rather have a professional , Licensed environment training then illegal weapon ownership

Last edited:
NO
If we only manage to nab Iranian loyalists, sympathizers and abettors, our defense budget would drop to 1/2.
Next stop calling in army for rescue, build roads, make ventilators, import masks, why not train civilians for that.

This is a flame bait with an agenda...irrelevant to the topic and with a Joke between "our defense budget would drop to 1/2."

Sorry...Joke of a post!

do not teach them more for god sake they are already uncivilized and blood thirsty if we teach everyone with guns and let him go he may be zombie for life time .

Reservest/draftees are a wartime program...didnt we use to have NCC

I'm so glad this important subject is finally being discussed here. I totally agree with you and like you I have also in the past written to GHQ but unlike you I got no response.

It is not the sole duty of the armed forces to protect the nation, the citizens have a duty to stand shoulder to shoulder with them in any war situation. I genuinely feel that mad modi will, out of desperation, start a war with pakistan and our over stretched armed forces are going to struggle facing a enemy 7 times in size which is nuclear armed and backed by nation like USA and Israel.

The sensible option is to train people in basic weapons training especially those who live near the border, whether it's voluntary or mandatory makes little difference it's the need of the hour.

I'm so glad this important subject is finally being discussed here. I totally agree with you and like you I have also in the past written to GHQ but unlike you I got no response.

It is not the sole duty of the armed forces to protect the nation, the citizens have a duty to stand shoulder to shoulder with them in any war situation. I genuinely feel that mad modi will, out of desperation, start a war with pakistan and our over stretched armed forces are going to struggle facing a enemy 7 times in size which is nuclear armed and backed by nation like USA and Israel.

The sensible option is to train people in basic weapons training especially those who live near the border, whether it's voluntary or mandatory makes little difference it's the need of the hour.

Hi - your post reminds me of @messiach

Back
Top Bottom