What's new

New Islamabad Airport Progress

The previous director of the project was a family friend. He was gunned down while on site in his office. Was pushing legal channels over land acquisitions.

Hope this gets settled soon.

The proposed name is Gandhara International and they were recommending New Benazir Bhutto International Airport. I have no problems with the latter but Gandhara seems an appropriate name and highlights our historical legacy.

Some old pictures from HRL:-

BBIA2.jpg

BBIA3.jpg

BBIA4.jpg

BBIA5.jpg

BBIA7.jpg

BBIA13.jpg

BBIA12.jpg

Is it really needed?I mean this money could be well spent on Electricity Projects - Anyway Gandhara does not sound good in urdu.Pakistan is not a monarchy so New Bhutto International Air Port name will be reversed after PPP Government is gone.It should be named after some Pakistan Independence Movement Hero such as Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy.

☪☪☪☪;954501 said:
Is it really needed?I mean this money could be well spent on Electricity Projects - Anyway Gandhara does not sound good in urdu.Pakistan is not a monarchy so New Bhutto International Air Port name will be reversed after PPP Government is gone.It should be named after some Pakistan Independence Movement Hero such as Huseyn Shaheed Suhrawardy.

Naming after Suhrawardy would be great. Being a Bengali is not very welcome in our history books though and the treatment handed out to him by Ayub was memorable as well.

I'm ok BBIA but Suhrawardy would be great. Perhaps Abdus Salam Intl Airport would be the best choice.

Abdus Salam Intl Airport is good choice too but unfortunately the JI/Right Wing Thugs and their goons will be on street burning cars etc and will say it's American/Zionist conspiracy to remove Islam from Pakistan because Abdus Salam was Ahmadi.

Senate Questions Session - July 27, 2010

15. *Begum Najma Hameed: (Notice received on 24-05-2010 at 09:10 a.m.)

Will the Minister for Defence be pleased to state:

(a) the present stage of work on the project of new Islamabad International Airport; indicating also the expected date of its completion and date of inauguration; and

(b) the land required for the said project and the land acquired so far?

Ch. Ahmed Mukhtar:
(a) Present stage of work:
The works on the New Benazir Bhutto International Airport (NBBIA) Project are presently in progress with anticipated date of completion as 30th June, 2013. The present status of the ongoing works at NBBIA Project as follows:—

􀂙 Airside Infrastructure includes Airfield Lighting System (AFL) and Hydrant Refueling System (HRS): Present progress achieved is 20% with entire work planned to be completed by July, 2011.

􀂙 Terminal Building (TB): Presently Piling / Foundation works of the Passenger Terminal Building (PTB) are in progress and progress achieved for this is 78%. Thereafter, the superstructure of Terminal Building is to commence for which the bids have been invited. The entire Terminal Building works are due for completion by 31st March, 2013.

􀂙 Landside Infrastructure: Includes Roads, Bridges, Under Passes, Drainages and Utilities. Works are to commence by July, 2010 with completion period of 24 months.

The entire project is expected to be completed by 30th June, 2013. Thereafter, all system, will be put into operation and upon successful testing the Airport will be commissioned.

b) Land Required / Land Acquired:
􀂋 Area acquired so far 3288 acres
􀂋 Area required for Secondary
Runway (Ultimate Development) 542 acres
Total: 4930 acres

gandhara sounds good nice nod to an unnapreciated heritage of pakistan.......

Hey,Don't take it as offensive,but is this new Airport,good enough to compete against IGI,Delhi?
Its regarded as the worlds 3rd best after Beijing and New York.
:kiss3:

Hey,Don't take it as offensive,but is this new Airport,good enough to compete against IGI,Delhi?

Good in what sense???

Surely it will not be that much busy, so in no way it will be competing Delhi's.

well its not a VS, VS thread so better we abstain doing that and regards to your question i would say.....Delhi is not World's third best or largest airport but its Terminal 3 has capacity to handle 33 million making it third largest terminal in the world. Most airports in the world has more than 1 terminal and if you read world's busiest airports you will not find any Indian airport anywhere in the list.

When you read third largest terminal it is only talking about that particular terminal 3 only and not the whole of the airport and the airports are ranked in different categories. For example world's busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic, traffic movement of aircrafts, size of the airport, or handling capacity etc.... in future Delhi may be ranked somewhere in the list but at the moment USA, China and few european airports are considered as World's best airports.

@ Delhi vs Islamabad
I think Delhi is far bigger in terms of passenger handling and Islamabad is not even completed yet so there is no point comparing delhi vs Islamabad airport however i feel Delhi will remain bigger airport. Islamabad will handle not even half the passenger load what you can expect from Delhi thanks to its population

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom