What's new

PAF's Exercises from around the World.

PAF vs USN "exercise"
March 12 2009 at 4:11 PM

Airforces Monthly
Article in the May 1993 issue (pages 46-47 by Sergey Vekhov)

An article in the May 1993 issue (pages 46-47) of Airforces Monthly, a reputable UK-based air defence magazine, written by a Russian aviation writer, Sergey Vekhov, for the first time in public, provided a first-hand account about the PAF's pilots:

"As an air defence analyst, I am fully aware that the Pakistan Air Force ranks today as one of the best air forces in the world and that the PAF Combat Commanders' School (CCS) in Sargodha has been ranked as the best GCI/pilot and fighter tactics and weapons school in the world". As one senior US defence analyst commented to me in 1997, "it leaves Topgun (the US Naval Air Station in Miramar, California) far behind".

International Defense (June 24, 1998)

The PAF, although outnumbered by IAF, has at least one qualitative edge over its rival: Pilot Training. The caliber of Pakistani instructors is acknowledged by numerous air forces, and US Navy pilots considered them to be highly 'professionals' during exercises flying off the USS Constellation (as co-pilots).

Click this bar to view the original image of 747x492px.

NO. 8 SQUADRON'S "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE" SUCCEEDS
1500 HOURS - 30 MAY 1995

Flying a few feet above the Arabian Sea, the two Mirage pilots are impressed by the awesome silhouette of the nuclear-powered Abraham Lincoln as the carrier looms gradually above the sea curvature, dead on the nose. The mission: To penetrate successfully the Carrier Task Force's early warning and perimeter defences and, to deliver a simulated Exocet guided missile attack on "the world's largest warship". The memorable sortie was flown during "Inspired Alert" - a Pakistan-US joint exercise. O.C. No. 8 Squadron, strictly following the ground rules, planned and led a simultaneous multidirectional attack profile against CVN-72, in an attempt to overload its defence. As two of the three Mirage pairs turned away, the lead Mirage carried out a simulated Exocet "launch" from several miles away, without meeting any of the ship's fighters. The Squadron Commander and his wingman later did a friendly fly by at the carrier's side, perhaps just as surprised as the Lincoln's crews, at the missed interception.

Wing Commander Asim Suleiman Leader and O.C. No 8 Squadron
Flight Lieutenant Ahmed Hassan Wingman

I am quoting from a member.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting incident: In one of the "Inspired Alert" exercises, the PAF pilots were supposed to try to get "as close to the aircraft carrier" as possible without detection, and accomplish other tasks. USN was tasked to detect Pakistani intruders and USN fighters (F-14s) were to intercept them. Both sides had complete freedom in selecting their strategy. The USN was very confident that the PAF Mirages would not be able to get too close, mainly because their RADARs and other equipment were superior to anything Pakistan had. To their amazement, not only did 2 Mirage fighters get "as close as possible", they even flew low beside the aircraft carrier, "buzzing" the deck.

They stayed undetected by flying dangerously low over the sea under RADAR cover, and by creating diversions and fooling them into thinking the main intruders were coming from a different direction (other Mirages, I think). By the time they realized that 2 Mirages had made it close, it was too late to interecept them. This forced even senior USN pilots to react.

I read this story in a book about PAF exercises, but I have forgotten its name. I have also forgotten many other details, like the name of the carrier, the year of the exercise and the exact Mirage type (III or V). All I remember is that they had an artist's concept picture on a full page, showing two Mirages zooming towards the deck of a USN aircraft carrier and the sun setting in the distance.

WAFF | World's Armed Forces Forum: PAF vs USN "exercise"

We are the best of the best always have been still are and always will be GOD bless PAF & Pakistan. :pakistan:

Perfacts are ones who think that they are not perfact and they must overcome the shortcomings in themselves

PAF pilots really ***** there shortcomings and it is the only way to be a perfact and stand alone in the world cut throat competition of survival.

very impressive account of the by gone days......goes to show that tactics.training and courage can compensate for technical superiority of your enemy.
To a certain level.

Dog fights are thing of the past now.

Wow our so called third world airforce with its antiqued weapons took on the USAFs F-15 and owned it.

My friends forgive me for bragging but i don't think that any air force in the world have managed to come on top of PAF.

India=owned
Israel=owned
USSR=owned
USAF=??? probably owned

Who's left ?
The professionalism and skills of our pilots are commendable but let us tone down our claims here.

Excercies like these are performed where rules and restrictions are in place. In a war, no rules of engagement are in place that is where things can go horribly wrong for the much weaker side.

Also, people often forget about what happened in the Iron Falcon 2009 excercise held in UAE. Here is link.

No Airforce is powerful enough to challenge and defeat USAF in an all out engagement.

To a certain level.

The professionalism and skills of our pilots are commendable but let us tone down our claims here.

Excercies like these are performed where rules and restrictions are in place. In a war, no rules of engagement are in place that is where things can go horribly wrong for the much weaker side.

Also, people often forget about what happened in the Iron Falcon 2009 excercise held in UAE. Here is link.

No Airforce is powerful enough to challenge and defeat USAF in an all out engagement.

Of course yaaar..... I was just saying that PAF is unrivaled in human aspect of Ariel warfare.

To a certain level.

Well how can you expect from an F-7 to give F-22 tough time? :lol: Pilot would have hardly known the existance of F-22 before his visor going mad with tome for being locked up...it fairly natural....on the second thought had PAF been there with Bison,LCA and MKI, the things would have been different :P

IAM is not mistaken for a long time ago Shaheen "magazine.'s A / C Jamal is one pair of Phantom of the expert, he commanded the Fifth Squadron

I have yet to get a telnet prompt, in the lead during the beginning of pppd. In my opinion, for some reason, I can not close netfilters boot script.

I have changed the name of this thread to PAF Exercises with Other Air Forces of the World & made it into a sticky thread.

Now all the material about PAF Exercises should be posted in this thread, in that way the good material of past and present will not be lost.

I have changed the name of this thread to PAF Exercises with Other Air Forces of the World & made it into a sticky thread.

Now all the material about PAF Exercises should be posted in this thread, in that way the good material of past and present will not be lost.

Nice job Taimi. Info will be preserved now.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom