What's new

Featured Pakistani Navy confirms Brazilian jetliner will replace Orion patrol aircraft

Embraer is excellent choice. ITAR free guaranteed. They are on par with Boeing/Airbus. But I dont get it where the rest of the electronics/systems will come from. Is it via Brazil or Turkey?

Apparently, they will follow the same model as the German upgrade ATR-72 MPAs, so probably Italian and German systems.

Embraer is excellent choice. ITAR free guaranteed. They are on par with Boeing/Airbus. But I dont get it where the rest of the electronics/systems will come from. Is it via Brazil or Turkey?

I would imagine, since the PN seems very hapoy with the ATR, they will again go to Rheinland Air Services and use german and Italian tech. This time they need to incorporate AShM capability in addition to torpedo, boey and depth charge capability. Additionally, i wonder if they will get a MAD this time (one is available for Sea Eagle but they opted not to for tue ATR). That being said P-8 doesnt have a MAD and relies (as the ATR do) on radar and advanced acoustics sensors.

Airbus isn't ITAR free.

Yes it is. Even Iran Airlines has an all airbus fleet. Moot point though. There are so many Airbus's in so many airports and countries that trying to stop spares or sanction them is like trying to sanction motorbike parts.

Reason for not choosing Airbus was probably politics I imagine.

Old timers will remember what “Sultan” implies in Pakistan😉
Damn I feel old now :P
Uses GE CF36 engines. Cockpit is all Rockwell Collins/Honeywell. So how is it ITAR free?

The question of what issues may arise in converting the aircraft was put to Douglas Barrie, an aerospace analyst at the International Institute for Strategic Studies:

“Using a commercial turbofan engine-powered aircraft as the basis for an ASW [anti-submarine warfare] platform is not unheard of. After all, the U.S. P-8 is a Boeing 737-800 derivative," he said.

But there are challenges in conversing the aircraft, he added, "not least of all if internal weapons carriage is required where a bomb bay will need to be cut into the airframe.”

“Significant undertaking and risk management is going to be important,” he said, adding that it’s likely Embraer will be asked to help with the conversion, “otherwise the challenges just get all the greater.”
PN has started the trend through ATR-72. Pick a commercial jet and convert it using military systems and weapons.

Frederico Lemos, Embraer’s defense representative who handles business in Asia, did not respond to Defense News' questions about whether the company is or would be involved in the conversion process.
PN may not have disclosed concrete plans as yet.

So @PAR 5 proves to be reliable once again. I wonder though why some of his threads get deleted, especailly when so many useless threads do not?

What do these names even mean.......??
Mako
1603753020749.png

Manta
1603753077619.png

Orca / Sea Wolf
1603753132342.png

Embraer already makes ASW called P-99 / R-99,

So why not just go with that and if needed get your own electronics installed.

because PN and PAF use brazilian products including jets and trust them ? more cheaper too ?

Embrarer is also a good company to purchase future airliners from, when PIA is restructured and rebuild from the ground up. Smaller planes increase the chances the planes travel full.

Also would love to see these planes operate as future Awacs (would love to see a few SAAB Globaleye Suite on an Embrarer in PAF service) and tankers, and the platform upon which we fly the Turkish Havasoj Electronic warfare suite. The long range Embrarer Lineage could be a good, relatively modest, VIP Transport for the Prime Minister or Army Chief On foreign visits. It limits the entourage that can go, keeping acquisition and operating costs low. $54 million for a VIP transport version.

Back to the MPA; do we know who willing be selling the ASW suite. IMHO, it’s probably the Swordfish by Sweden’s SAAB. We have a great relationship with SAAB and India rejecting the Gripen leaves Sweden more likely to sell at fair market price.

Last edited:
Better would be Osprey or SeaHawk. It has one of the best eyesight amongst the raptor family and plucks fish out of the sea even when they are below surface. Very apt for a sub hunting aircraft.

Sea Sultan is quite cheesy.... I see a bafoonish caricature with a turban and a big sword.

View attachment 682944
They should've called the ATR-72 'Sea Hawk/Osprey' and left 'Sea Eagle' to the Embraer.

Clearly, someone didn't expect the PN to get a LRMPA Lol.

Instead, we got #PakistanInaNutshell

1603753938014.png

Last edited:
Embraer already makes ASW called P-99 / R-99,

So why not just go with that and if needed get your own electronics installed.

Probably the need for a longer range aircraft
Better would be Osprey or SeaHawk. It has one of the best eyesight amongst the raptor family and plucks fish out of the sea even when they are below surface. Very apt for a sub hunting aircraft.

Sea Sultan is quite cheesy.... I see a bafoonish caricature with a turban and a big sword.

View attachment 682944

Not necessarily if the artwork is done well. Something like a Mughal Soldier on horseback in the sky carrying a Spear, hunting subs from on high could be a very distinct and potent image.

Last edited:

Not necessarily if the artwork is done well. Something like a Mughal Soldier on horseback in the sky carrying a Spear, hunting subs from on high could be a very distinct and potent image.

Historically Mughals did not have a navy which was partly responsible for their downfall :)

Ameer-ul-Behr -- Lord of the Seas maybe?

Sultan actually comes from ottoman not Mughals they used to call shenshah and Persian Shah

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom