What's new

Surprise over Pak President’s claim of troop pull out during Kargil

Nasir

Reaction score
Surprise over Pak President’s claim of troop pull out during Kargil

Islamabad, Oct 29: Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf's claim that the decision to pull out troops during the Kargil conflict was solely made by former premier Nawaz Sharif has been met with surprise in some quarters in the US.

"A US source with knowledge of what passed on between the United States and Pakistan over Kargil has expressed surprise at General Pervez Musharraf's flat denial of the then Centcom Commander General Anthony Zinni's assertion that Gen Musharraf was party and privy to the decision to pull out of Kargil," Daily Times reported.

When asked last week in an interview to Geo TV on Gen Zinni's assertion in his book 'Battle Ready' that he convinced both Sharif and him that Pakistan's failure to withdrawal from Kargil would "bring war and nuclear annihilation" down their country, Musharraf replied in Urdu, "Yeh Galat Hai" (this is wrong).

"The source, who did not wish to be named, said every word Gen Zinni had written was true," the report said.

Gen Zinni in his book wrote that he was directed by the administration to head a presidential mission to Pakistan to convince Sharif and Musharraf to withdraw their force from Kargil.

Bureau Report http://www.zeenews.com/znnew/articles.asp?aid=332196&sid=SAS

yeah we all no americans dont lie about any thing:angry:

it was the americans that threaten pakistan with anihialtion but they deny that after 9-11

it was the americans that threaten pakistan during kargil but they deny that .
for a long time the bull crap spread around was it was pakistanis that had ask usa for help during kargil. now we hear other wise and the good amrican general was helping us other wise indians were going to kill us all.how nice of him we should send him a flower or some thing.or was he in pakistan helping Americas new friends in asia india.iam willing to bet on that.but off course Americans dont lie .WMD
americans have never been friends to any muslim country nor they ever will.

Seems like Americans have threatened Pakistan everytime they needed to in the history, and Musharraf always made wise or coward decisions.

Thats why we need to be independent and have a strong military.

Could Americans give a same threat to those Chinese?

Thank you come again!

Seems like Americans have threatened Pakistan everytime they needed to in the history, and Musharraf always made wise or coward decisions.

Thank you come again!

They cant do the same to the chineese-wondered why?

Bcoz they never played with their countries future and never played the cold war game.

The country evolved slowly when the time was ripe they started their reforms and now see where they stand.

Thank you come again!

Webby.
You are not seriously comparing yourself to the Chinese. I think this comparison in my humble opinion is inappropriate. We not only do not have the guts but also do not have the economical clout of the Chinese to have stood up to the Americans. You cant have a begging Bowl in one hand and stand up to a principal. The begging Bowl has always dictated our policy and to this date we are no better. I do not think there is a military solution to the Situation in Kashmir and a negotiated solution is probably the best that we can hope for.
Wa Salam
Araz

Thank you come again!

Well said webby! :thumbsup:

We not only do not have the guts but also do not have the economical clout of the Chinese to have stood up to the Americans. You cant have a begging Bowl in one hand and stand up to a principal.

Its not about guts mate,nobdy can beat a pathan in that.It was all about how you managed the situation.The biggest and gravest mistake of Pakistan was to get directly involved in Afghanistan and be a pony to US.

And dont think China doesnt have its issues,they have so many,its just that we dont want to see it.

Its not about guts mate,nobdy can beat a pathan in that.It was all about how you managed the situation.The biggest and gravest mistake of Pakistan was to get directly involved in Afghanistan and be a pony to US.

I dont see how a different country about the same size, facing the same hardships at the given time and located within the same geographic coordinates would have acted differently vis-a-vis its foreign policy of the time. Its just realpolitik!

Nawaz Sharif blinked first during the kargil war.From what i read and heard Nawaz Sharif knew of about 25% of the kargil plan.It was sold to him as a small incursion.After the withdrawl of the NLI from kargil Musharraf knew heads would fall him being the first.The pakistani military at the time was slowly coming under civilian control after a decade of democratic rule.
Musharraf planned the coup with other general's who where going to be court marshalled and spun the story of how nawaz was going to make him land in india.
Musharraf was right about one thing the pakistani's only had to hold there ground against the indian army which was not a problem.The problem was Nawaz Sharif did not win the diplomatic war

I have read Gen Zinni's book from cover to cover.Kargil is only one of the items he covered in the book. There appears to be no dispute of his accounting of any other incident, be it Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It is written from a military standpoint.

Why do we feel he was factual in every other incident, but lied ONLY about Kargil? food for thought!

I have read Gen Zinni's book from cover to cover.Kargil is only one of the items he covered in the book. There appears to be no dispute of his accounting of any other incident, be it Somalia, Iraq, Afghanistan etc. It is written from a military standpoint.

Why do we feel he was factual in every other incident, but lied ONLY about Kargil? food for thought!

Whilst I cannot comment on the book in question (I haven't read it yet) I am not sure the persons in this thread are commenting on the other items, as they are not under scrutiny here. Perhaps the discussion can wait till a few more of us have read the book?

Whilst I cannot comment on the book in question (I haven't read it yet) I am not sure the persons in this thread are commenting on the other items, as they are not under scrutiny here. Perhaps the discussion can wait till a few more of us have read the book?

I completely agree. It is a very revealing book and he certainly covers a lot of stuff. The man just says it like it is.

I completely agree. It is a very revealing book and he certainly covers a lot of stuff. The man just says it like it is.

Well on a quick side note I do want to read the Woodward book. I read an excerpt in the newspaper and it looks pretty interesting.

Thank you come again!

You don't see the PRC tryign to retake Taiwan, the Spratly's or push Japan over WW2 do ya.

thank you come again.

But seriously after 9-11 the US was rather lenient with Pakistan,after all the Taliban was a ISI creation. Ask your self this, if an Indian created group had given refuge to a group that killed 3000 people in lahore, cost 250,000 jobs and did half a trillion dollars in damages would Pakistan shrug off India's complicity?

And the US carrot has bene rahter generous. Pakistan's armed forces have increased in capability by an order of magnatude.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom