What's new

An Insight into Al-Khalid II MBT.

Is Al-Khalid an inferior design ....??
In my humble opinion NO ....

Could it be made compatible with other more modern contemporary tanks .... ???
Answer is Yes .... a Definitive Yes

Addition/Installation of
- Modular Composite Armour
- High power engine 1500 or above
- Next Generation TI sights

or in short comprehensive upgrade of Al-Khalid while maintaining the same Basic Design could give competition to any new modern tank, this is the beauty of this tank.
Its just an old design when we compare it with modern 3+ gen MBTs. After-all it was developed in 80s and there is limitation in the extent of its up gradation.
An evolution of AK design is VT4 which if upgraded with specific externally sourced upgrades from West can become a promising solution against any Tank India can put in battlefield. It outperformed our Al Khalid and Ukranian Oplot and even in Chinese configuration it was very much appreciated by the army. But then "things" happened and project was put on halt.

Last edited:
But then "things" happened and project was put on halt.
those thing were related to internal situation or with foreign situation ....??

P.S. is there any possibility to consider Chinese 1500+ hp engine for AK-2 ???

Last edited:
Is Pakistan still producing Al-Khalids? How many have been produced to date?
HIT is still producing Al-Khalid 1s but only about 20 a year (as per MODP YB 2017-2018). They can produce thrice that number but due to several factors arnt doing so.

Right now there are about 350-400 AK/AK1s in PA.

HIT is still producing Al-Khalid 1s but only about 20 a year (as per MODP YB 2017-2018). They can produce thrice that number but due to several factors arnt doing so.

What's the reason money -- resources?

Thanks.

Are the Al-Khalids the most advance tanks in Pakistan Army or the Ukrainian/Russian tanks?

those thing were related to internal situation or with foreign situation ....??

P.S. is there any possibility to consider Chinese 1500+ hp engine for AK-2 ???
Not in my knowledge pal.

What's the reason money -- resources?
I had read somewhere that they have gotten out of tank making business, i am not sure how accurate that report was and hence looking for an external replacement.

I had read somewhere that they have gotten out of tank making business, i am not sure how accurate that report was and hence looking for an external replacement.
wrong report they are very much in tank manufacturing business, in fact they have programs to upgrade the plant and increase of production as well

Pakistan should at least be on par with 4500 tanks as indian army .production should be increased for ak1 untill at least we can get some chinese tanks to increase numbers.money is not an issue to say the least it is not fighter jets we are building .pakistan should look at the british challenger worked well in the heat in gulf war and would work well in sindh front

Will this be an Oplot level upgrade?
If we are replacing 6TD01 with 6TD02 in UDs, then yes it's kinda 'Oplot type' upgrade.

HIT was in upgradation phase last time I heard. Tank production and upgradation is currently going on, however the plans keep changing.

If we are replacing 6TD01 with 6TD02 in UDs, then yes it's kinda 'Oplot type' upgrade.

HIT was in upgradation phase last time I heard. Tank production and upgradation is currently going on, however the plans keep changing.
Ukraine is in bad place we have a great chance of getting engine technology from them I really wish we do that instead of wasting this opportunity. Engine is the one where most countries get stuck and fail.

I wonder if it would just be better for Pakistan to design a new tank from scratch, using the lessons learned from 30 years of Al-Khalid development. This tank is not going to be up to par against the latest Indian T-90s or their recently inducted Apache anti-tank helicopters. Those Apache numbers are likely to increase in the future too. The issue I think is that Pakistan did not actually design the Al-Khalid and it is a Chinese tank that we slapped on different engine and optics etc on it to customize it for our needs. However, has Pakistan done any research into creating its own armor to use in tank production, or even ERA plates? Most unlikely that it has been the case.
In the ideal world, Al-Khalid would be relegated to the role now being fulfilled with light tanks such as T-59s, T-69s, and T-85. And a new frontline tank is co-developed and produced for the next 20 years.

One other thing that I feel will not hold true in the future is this emphasis on mobility over protection. It worked through the 80s & 90s and up even in the 2000s. However, times have changed and so has technology. Where before speed was a good option to deny enemy tanks and guns a chance to track and shoot at your successfully, there has been a sea change in technology which makes tracking a moving target very easy, while being on the move yourself. That is why every advanced country that also faces technologically advanced foes have opted to induct heavier, up-armored tanks.

India will take a substantial lead in arms from us sooner or later and I think it would behove us to plan for the future and not rely entirely on past laurels. The next tank battles might not go in our favor if we dont have the right tools.

Last edited:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom