What's new

Babur Cruise Missile - Database

I am well aware of that dear, but from what i understand, it was this transporter profile which led to the multi tube launch vehicle project. :)

Yes most probably. the base machine is same so you may be quite right sir!

I want to ask very important question about Curise Missile's capability......."Terrain Hugging" When we talk about this...is that mean.

That target and flying path is already feeded in the missile's memory and it knows from where to avoid hurdles............???? If it is already feeded then how it will work in Desert Terrain coz in Desert not not remain the same due to winds it change the shape.....i am saying this coz i heard in IRAQ war mostly American Tom Hawks were failed due to Desert Terrain.

Or it is just fired even for targets not known before and missile itself find the way with terrain hugging.????

Yes, you are quite right about what Terrain Hugging is. In terrain contour matching (TERCOM), an image of the pre-defined path is fed to the missile and the missile, during its flight keep on matching the earth contour it is flying over using its on board altimeter radar and keep matching it with the pre-defined path image and if any change is found, the mission computer onboard missile takes the required steps to correct its path.
Like every system, it have its pros and cons, the disadvantage are that a pre-defined path is to be selected and fed to the system and that may cause problems in examples as the one quote by you, the ever changing contour of desert. The advantage is that it enables the missile to fly real close to ground, hugging the ground ups and downs and avoiding obstacles. This very low fly path make it difficult to be be seen on ground radars, thus, is a mean of enemy penetration and deep stealthy strikes.

In order to over rule the disadvantage as you have pointed, missiles use multiple guaidance systems eg In this case (Babur) TERCOM, INS and GPS

here is a map of typical cruise missile mission profile (TOMAHAWK IN THIS EXAMPLE) and that might help better understanding
TLAM-C-Profile-S.jpg

TLAM-C-B3-Profile-S.jpg

Regards!

I want to ask very important question about Curise Missile's capability......."Terrain Hugging" When we talk about this...is that mean.

That target and flying path is already feeded in the missile's memory and it knows from where to avoid hurdles............???? If it is already feeded then how it will work in Desert Terrain coz in Desert not not remain the same due to winds it change the shape.....i am saying this coz i heard in IRAQ war mostly American Tom Hawks were failed due to Desert Terrain.

Or it is just fired even for targets not known before and missile itself find the way with terrain hugging.????

TERCOM in a missile is simply an altitude comparison system..The missile is fed with RADAR maps of the terrain it will fly upon and the maps aren't that detailed,the most important info is the elevation change of the terrain during flight...So if the missile has to pass above a sand dune,it is pre fed and the missile will raise its altitude before the dune,and then will dip down..hence terrain hugging...The missile has a downward looking radar for that purpose which continuously scans the ground below and compares it with stored maps,again it compares altitude....ground rises,the missile rises,ground dips the missile dips,and it can be done in deserts equally good as in any other terrain.

GPS is a general term used for all satellite based navigation systems..As accurate GPS may be,but its strings are in someone else's hands and the whole system can be switched off on the flick of a switch in Schriever Air Force Base Colorado..But then again Pakistan and surrounding area is also covered by GLONASS and Chinese Beidou Satellite Navigation systems and a cross referencing of position between the three independent systems can give a greater and reliable accuracy..
Whether NESCOM is looking into this probability? I know not...

But all Satellite Navigation systems have a much lesser accuracy in Z axis...The altitude information derived from any satellite based navigation system is 5 times less accurate than Lat-Long or x,y info derived from it.
So if at any given moment the 2D position has an error of 10 meters the 3D position will have an error of 50 meters.
Thats where TERCOM becomes even more significant than just a back up or secondary system..It gives a continuous,reliable and greater accuracy in the 3rd dimension...

RGM/UGM-109B Tomahawk Anti Ship Missile (TASM) - radar guided anti-shipping variant.

can babur be anti-ship missile?in some other block

Dear Wind Jammer, just for confirmation, this
Babar_Cruise_Missle_at_Ideas_2008.JPG

is not a launch vehicle rather a missile carrier and transport vehicle. this is also based on same motorized 8 x 8 transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) that is reportedly a Chinese reverse-engineered variants of the Russian MAZ-543TLM vehicle.
This is infact a transporter as well as LAUNCH vehicle cuz it has the complete control and guidance system installed in it .So don't think that this is just a transport vehicle..........:smokin:

it can hit ships and the most ati ship missiles are short range cruse type

it can hit ships and the most ati ship missiles are short range cruse type

no sir it cant

because the guidance would have to be changed
from INS/TERCOM to INS/active radar guidance
would have to develop a
miniaturized slotted planar array all by itself, to fit
inside the nose of babur

beside this in sea with 800km speed would be a very easy target for SAM

for anti ship role you need a supersonic cruise missile
atleast in terminal stage

Babur is truly a hybrid missile, As it is based on the US tomahawk but uses a Chinese Mini-Turbojet for power.
Its electronics have been designed in-house using electronic components from China, Europe and the United states.
However, most of the guidance electronics are based on COTS components or rather dual use tech.

no sir it cant

because the guidance would have to be changed
from INS/TERCOM to INS/active radar guidance
would have to develop a
miniaturized slotted planar array all by itself, to fit
inside the nose of babur

beside this in sea with 800km speed would be a very easy target for SAM

for anti ship role you need a supersonic cruise missile
atleast in terminal stage

sir i disagree

C-802 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harpoon (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-802 and many cruise missile as anti-ship are at sub-sonic speed

Naval Strike Missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as i see it many cruise missile can do anti-ship

Babur is truly a hybrid missile, As it is based on the US tomahawk but uses a Chinese Mini-Turbojet for power.
Its electronics have been designed in-house using electronic components from China, Europe and the United states.
However, most of the guidance electronics are based on COTS components or rather dual use tech.

Hi,
Whats COTS?
the only cots i know of is this

:D

[--Leo--];3025479 said:
sir i disagree

C-802 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Harpoon (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-802 and many cruise missile as anti-ship are at sub-sonic speed

Naval Strike Missile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as i see it many cruise missile can do anti-ship

These are all sub sonic missiles but the terminal phase is always supersonic when the missile rises and then comes down at high speed both to gain kinetic energy and avoid anti missile systems.

Hi,
Whats COTS?
the only cots i know of is this

:D

These are all sub sonic missiles but the terminal phase is always supersonic when the missile rises and then comes down at high speed both to gain kinetic energy and avoid anti missile systems.

*Commercially off the shelf. Just like the cots pic u posted, you cant make this COT in house so go to market to purchase the fully built cot. Likewise, electronic components which can not bhe made are buyed from open market

What is the success rate as american used cruise missile to attack afghanistan in late 90's and more than half of them fell in pakistan

What is the difference in the engine of both ALCM RAAD and BABUR missile.... any body pls.

Back
Top Bottom