What's new

China reports almost 60,000 COVID-19 deaths in a month

Get Ya Wig Split

Reaction score
Country
United States

Authorities have revealed the large number of deaths weeks after they stopped diving daily updates. It is the first report of a major death toll since the end of the zero-COIVD policy.​

31e6b65b-5cca-4282-b716-4a08907e6bc9_eb6ae353.jpg

There have been almost 60,000 COVID-related deaths in China since it began removing its zero-COVID restrictions in early December, health authorities reported on Saturday.

Some 59,938 COVID-related deaths were recorded between December 8, 2022, and January 12, 2023, Jiao Yahui, Bureau of Medical Administration head, told reporters, adding that cases had peaked and were declining.

Nationwide, "the number of fever clinic visitors is generally in a declining trend after peaking, both in cities and rural areas," he said.

The reported death toll only included those who died in the hospital, meaning more may have died at home.

'Official' death toll doubled

The announcement follows complaints that authorities had not been revealing data after large-scale protests led authorities to end the zero-COVID policy.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has called on Beijing to be more forthcoming with figures about coronavirus infections and deaths amid the current surge.

Of the almost 60,000 deaths, 5,504 were due to respiratory failure brought on by COVID-19. The rest were due to other underlying illnesses combined with a coronavirus infection.

China only includes the deaths caused by COVID respiratory failure in its official coronavirus death toll. This definition has been criticized by the WHO for being "too narrow."

Nevertheless, this new batch of data brings China's official COVID-19 death toll up to 10,775, more than double where it stood earlier in the month.

More support for at-risk population

The average age of those included in Saturday's results was 80.3 with more than 90% being over 65. Most also had underlying health conditions.

Millions of elderly people in China have not been vaccinated against the virus.

Wen Daxiang, a Shanghai Health Commission official, said that monitoring and management of high-risk individuals would be increased.

He also said that authorities would boost the supply of drugs, equipment and medical training to tackle infections in rural regions.

The real number is prolly closer to 600K a month tbh..anyways prayers up for China...sad to watch.
Can't be that high, no one I know developed any serious problems, Omicron is a much milder variant comparing to its predecessors, but fortunately it's all over now, it came and went really fast. Everything now is back to normal.

Likely to be much higher if indeed ~1bil people have gotten infected. 60K/1bil = 0.006% mortality rate, which is like ~20x lower than the flu. Even though it's more infectious, Omicron wouldn't overwhelm hospitals/morgues if the mortality rate is just 1/20 of flu.

HK, 1/200 the population of mainland China, is still reporting~70 deaths per day despite having higher booster rate among the elderly, greater medical resources, and having already experienced ~9 months of Omicron. They had almost 300 daily deaths at the peak during their initial wave of Omicron last year.

1673722002043.png

Can't be that high, no one I know developed any serious problems, Omicron is a much milder variant comparing to its predecessors, but fortunately it's all over now, it came and went really fast. Everything now is back to normal.

And this could have happened much earlier - the chinese goverment did not handle the overall covid strategy well if you stand back and look at it. The first part was good(lots of people saved from the original alpha/kent/delta variants which were far lethal. Vaccinations were done backwards ( do older ones first!! ) and then keeping people in lock down without an exit strategy or explaining what the exit strategy was until it was forced onto you made no sense.

Additionally - lockdown would have been better if done before winter, and staggered across provinces to control the rate of infection and the associated medical resources available to the people.

Telling the people what the plan was and the exit strategy was would have ensured that the "ruling goverment" did not have to do an embarrasing climedown with the associated loss of "face".

I truly believe the UK had one of the better overall strategies. Mistakes make in locking down too slowly - but beyond that - it was very good overall. Right now in winter - life goes on and no one even talks about covid right now ..

And this could have happened much earlier - the chinese goverment did not handle the overall covid strategy well if you stand back and look at it. The first part was good(lots of people saved from the original alpha/kent/delta variants which were far lethal. Vaccinations were done backwards ( do older ones first!! ) and then keeping people in lock down without an exit strategy or explaining what the exit strategy was until it was forced onto you made no sense.

Additionally - lockdown would have been better if done before winter, and staggered across provinces to control the rate of infection and the associated medical resources available to the people.

Telling the people what the plan was and the exit strategy was would have ensured that the "ruling goverment" did not have to do an embarrasing climedown with the associated loss of "face".

I truly believe the UK had one of the better overall strategies. Mistakes make in locking down too slowly - but beyond that - it was very good overall. Right now in winter - life goes on and no one even talks about covid right now ..
I agree and I actually mentioned it several times in other threads that the Chinese government made a big mistake , China should've reopened last summer instead of this cold flu season, and it's obvious that resources and medical supplies were not there ready for this sudden open up. Mass anti governnment protests across the country were the main reason for this sudden reopening, the government just caved in under the mounting pressure from the public.
Likely to be much higher if indeed ~1bil people have gotten infected. 60K/1bil = 0.006% mortality rate, which is like ~20x lower than the flu. Even though it's more infectious, Omicron wouldn't overwhelm hospitals/morgues if the mortality rate is just 1/20 of flu.

HK, 1/200 the population of mainland China, is still reporting~70 deaths per day despite having higher booster rate among the elderly, greater medical resources, and having already experienced ~9 months of Omicron. They had almost 300 daily deaths at the peak during their initial wave of Omicron last year.

View attachment 911460
This number is only the deaths reported from the hospitals, many may have died not in the hosptials, so I think the actual number could be twice or three times higher, but that's it, Omicron is still a much milder variant than all the previous ones and everyone I know recovered from it very well including people in their late 80's.

Are you joking, UK handled it better ?

I recovered in 4 days and didn't go to hospital, but I worried about my parents when they got infected and I took my parents to the People's hospital in Beijing in mid December last month, and the hospital was indeed overwhelmed and we waited for 3 hours to be able to see a doctor. Hospitals were indeed not well prepared for this sudden reopen.
All is well in the end, they recovered enough better than me. This Omicron is much milder than its predecessors.

Authorities have revealed the large number of deaths weeks after they stopped diving daily updates. It is the first report of a major death toll since the end of the zero-COIVD policy.​

31e6b65b-5cca-4282-b716-4a08907e6bc9_eb6ae353.jpg

There have been almost 60,000 COVID-related deaths in China since it began removing its zero-COVID restrictions in early December, health authorities reported on Saturday.

Some 59,938 COVID-related deaths were recorded between December 8, 2022, and January 12, 2023, Jiao Yahui, Bureau of Medical Administration head, told reporters, adding that cases had peaked and were declining.

Nationwide, "the number of fever clinic visitors is generally in a declining trend after peaking, both in cities and rural areas," he said.

The reported death toll only included those who died in the hospital, meaning more may have died at home.

'Official' death toll doubled

The announcement follows complaints that authorities had not been revealing data after large-scale protests led authorities to end the zero-COVID policy.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has called on Beijing to be more forthcoming with figures about coronavirus infections and deaths amid the current surge.

Of the almost 60,000 deaths, 5,504 were due to respiratory failure brought on by COVID-19. The rest were due to other underlying illnesses combined with a coronavirus infection.

China only includes the deaths caused by COVID respiratory failure in its official coronavirus death toll. This definition has been criticized by the WHO for being "too narrow."

Nevertheless, this new batch of data brings China's official COVID-19 death toll up to 10,775, more than double where it stood earlier in the month.

More support for at-risk population

The average age of those included in Saturday's results was 80.3 with more than 90% being over 65. Most also had underlying health conditions.

Millions of elderly people in China have not been vaccinated against the virus.

Wen Daxiang, a Shanghai Health Commission official, said that monitoring and management of high-risk individuals would be increased.

He also said that authorities would boost the supply of drugs, equipment and medical training to tackle infections in rural regions.

60,000 for a population of more than a billion is too low.

This proves that Chinese vaccines are superior to the western vaccines.

This number is only the deaths reported from the hospitals, many may have died not in the hosptials, so I think the actual number could be twice or three times higher, but that's it, Omicron is still a much milder variant than all the previous ones and everyone I know recovered from it very well including people in their late 80's.

It is indeed a milder variant but it has killed the most also. It's still killing ~70 people in HK everyday 9 months after their initial Omicron wave.

60,000 seems like a low number compared to number of infections.

Anything less than a million is a win in my book. I was calculating at least 3 million before herd immunity is reached.

It appears that Papa Xi is playing trickery of numbers. He has found ways to declare Covid deaths as deaths due to other diseases.

Bots wouldn’t accept it.

It appears that Papa Xi is playing trickery of numbers. He has found ways to declare Covid deaths as deaths due to other diseases.

Bots wouldn’t accept it.
Modi win here too.

would you accept?

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom