What's new

CJP Chaudhry creates a judicial NAB

SSGPA1

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
By Masood Rehman

ISLAMABAD: Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Iftikhar Chaudhry on Thursday announced to form a special cell headed by Justice Javed Iqbal to investigate corruption in the judiciary.

While addressing the Supreme Court staff, the chief justice said, “The entire nation is watching as the people have pinned high hopes on the judiciary after the successful movement launched for the independence of the judiciary.”

“Unfortunately the image of the judiciary right from the civil courts to the superior level is not so good,” he said, adding that justice should not be sold but should be delivered promptly to the people.

He said the jurisdiction of the special cell would be extended to the civil courts. The CJP said the cell would monitor the complaints regarding corruption in the judiciary across Pakistan and would also take action against “black sheep” after credible proof was produced. Justice Chaudhry also heard the complaints of the staff and issued on-the-spot orders.

He said the people lacked confidence in the judiciary and it could only be restored through quick disposal of cases and zero-tolerance for corruption.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

This cell is not called NAB but I have given it the name judicial NAB (JNAB) because it's function is the same as NAB.

I hope JNAB starts with CJP and find out why CJP's son Arsalan was given the post in FIA. ;)

I agree on the part 'independent judiciary' but it needs to be achieved through financial independence and not JNAB.

CJP lives in a huge house in Islamabad's posh area but most public prosecuters, judges and staff live in NOT SO POSH areas.

Salaries and benefits need to increase so that corruption can be curb and people can have an independent judiciary!

I think the motive behind JNAB is to control/blackmail all judges so that full support can be extended to NS.

There is going to be a full fledge war between the Executive branch and the Judicial branch very soon.

I pray to Allah Almighty to save Pakistan from these ego centric, selfish yahoos.

Well as long as the JNAB works in the long run I can see no problems this is going to be highly controversial and I think that alot of the people that took money for cases would be worried at the moment.

I think that alot of the people that took money for cases would be worried at the moment.

This means 80% plus of judiciary - from peon to judges.

My observation is that people in Pakistan don't take bribe happily but they accept it as no other choice. If salaries are improved then there is a good chance that most of these guys may stop accepting bribes and may work honestly.

This means 80% plus of judiciary - from peon to judges.

My observation is that people in Pakistan don't take bribe happily but they accept it as no other choice. If salaries are improved then there is a good chance that most of these guys may stop accepting bribes and may work honestly.

Lets start than with Punjab Police, Their salaries have been doubled..now lets see what performance do we get and how honest they are :what:

The Punjab police should get a salary equivalent to that of the motorway police infact why only Punjab all police should get the same amount of Salary.

Lets start than with Punjab Police, Their salaries have been doubled..now lets see what performance do we get and how honest they are :what:

Sorry this is off topic ... JNAB has been created in judiciary and not in a police dept. ... People working for our judicial branch are far more educated thus odds are better for their improvement ... and CJP has ton of public support which he should have utilized to get a comprehensive package for judiciary ...

so a law clerk earning Rs. 15,000 has been asked to manage his expenses in Rs. 15K or face JNAB and if he is not willing to do either then commit suicide with his entire family!... this is not fair at all ...

The only way that the Judiciary can be made corruption free is through removing political appointments it is curse on this nation that we have seen this through out its history. The solution is in the COD where it sates that a independent body will be setup which will appoint the Judges of Supreme court and district courts so on. This Judiciary will become impartial after we flush the system a few times with a independent body picking judges on merit.

It definately isn't fair I agree they will have to increase their pay I think that the Punjab governments decision to increase pay is a good one.

Yep SS did a good thing by increasing the pay and I think it should be followed by others as well.

The only way that the Judiciary can be made corruption free is through removing political appointments it is curse on this nation that we have seen this through out its history. The solution is in the COD where it sates that a independent body will be setup which will appoint the Judges of Supreme court and district courts so on. This Judiciary will become impartial after we flush the system a few times with a independent body picking judges on merit.

I think COD has lost its value because PPPP is not really inclined on implementing the COD. Also, keep in mind that COD is not part of the constituion so it is not acceptable for all parties.

Cod's aim in its first few statements is to restore the constitution how can it be against th 73 constitution?

I was pointing to the set up of an independent body for the appointment of judges ... it is in conflict as long as it is not part of the constitution ... COD was discussed by two parties but it is not been discussed in the parliament

I would say that their is no doubt it should be debated in the parliament as long as the parliament starts to move faster than the rate it is moving at now.

I agree but our Parliament will not agree :)

Back
Top Bottom