What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Here's my 2 cents worth regarding the EAF SU-35 Deal that I posted on ACIG a while back.

From an Egyptian regime military mouthpiece page we have the following information regarding the Su-35 saga.

The deal is currently 'suspended' pending major improvements stipulated by the EAF, but considering the current international climate I would say that the deal will be cancelled altogether, even if the EAF pilots were still in Russia at the time of the report being written.

So here is a summary of what was in the report:

There indeed were 5 aircraft delivered to Egypt. These 5 aircraft were subjected to a considerable amount of testing and were trialled in several exercises, including international exercises in Egypt (read with the French) and the results were disastrous.

The IRBIS-E radar did not function as advertised and detection ranges were just over half of what the Russians had been claiming. Furthermore, the Radar could not guide a missile beyond 100kms, which made it useless if you had longer ranged missiles. Further to this the IRBIS was prone to malfunction and there were too many cases where the system failed in mid flight and would also lock up and require rebooting. The Egyptians complained to the Russians about these issues and stated basically that the aircraft was not as advertised and would not be accepted by the EAF. All 5 aircraft were promptly disassembled and shipped back to Russia pending the Russians coming up with an AESA radar based on that in the Su-57 to replace IRBIS along with a host of other requirements/improvements the Egyptians stipulated before they would be accepted. To add further insult to injury the EAF promptly informed their Algerian counterparts of the issues they'd identified.

The report further stated that the deal breaker was the aircraft's performance and not CAATSA. Due to US pressure on South Korea, certain components and materials required for the production of the radars have been withheld which has held up any further work being done in that regard.

Yeah but who cares about all those little details, we can just tape a little piece of chicken wire mesh on the front disc of the IRBIS-E right on top of the TR modules and hot wire a pair of 9 vt batteries and give the radar the added boost of 50 kilometers of power & range and everyone is happy yalla khalas ba2a. :D

I mean look at this thing, bro. It can't be that bad!

1700697939884.png

Was that the story about the Rafale's SPECTRA jamming the IRBIS-E that was running rampant all over the internet and Youtube and tiktok and crapbook and facecook and all that socio sshhhtttuuuffff?

Because supposedly that was some genius fake "modification" of the actual story which was between a French Rafale and an Indian Su-30MK during one of the Cope-India exercises way back I think in 2010 when -- and supposedly -- the story goes that one of the French pilots in a Rafale worked his SPECTRA and jammed the BARS radar on one of the Su-30MKs which the Indians weren't happy with and ended up making major changes to a pre-production variation of the Zhuk-AE X-band AESA radar before accepting and signing on a contract with Sukhoi & Russia for HAL to produce the now Su-30MKI in India. But then they decided not to go with the Zhuk-AE (since it probably wasn't finished and Phazatron was AND STILL IS having trouble finishing it) and instead do a pashed replacement of the BARS with their own, domestic UTTAM AESA radar and with French and zionist avionics and JMHCS and a bunch of integrated stuff to fire their BRAHMOS and ASTRA and Nirbhay and all the goodies they have. Maybe @Faceless or @MirageBlue or @indushek can correct me if I'm wrong about the whole story including with the Rafale and the Su-30MK?

Not only that, but even the story sounds way too simplistic like the typical Russo-equippo-basho con story unfortunately like so much of what the west constantly tries to throw on Russian-made equipment which tends to give it a very unfair hearsay liable IMO. There wasn't even a mention of the fact that the Su-35S doesn't only operate the main IRBIS-E, but it actually is assisted by the pair of N036L-1-01 L-band AESA arrays on the leading-edge wing flaps for a much broader & capable radar projection. Granted they're not X-band AESA arrays rather L-band but still, they're the same ones going in the Su-57 to work with the main N036B-1-01 X-band nose-mounted AESA radar.

1700699845756.png

1700699445655.png

Either way, I still don't think there was the issue with the Su-35S because it doesn't make any sense TBH that they would have a preliminary agreement and sign a $2.5 billion contract and pay a substantial deposit (I'm sure we all know nothing of this caliber starts without a major deposit of at least 1/3 - 1/2 total payment or some substantial incremental payment) on an order of 28 aircraft of this type and have at least what, 21 of them completely finished -- that we've all seen via satellite pics -- parked waiting to be delivered and someone is saying that all of that occurred without the EAF testing the radar let alone the entire aircraft and its complete systems thoroughly prior to any contract being signed? Is that what people are really saying? Do we even begin to realize what a fadi7a that would be or the extent of the ridiculousness that such a disastrous thing would even be suggested? Haraam ya gama3a mesh lazem nakhod el khazou2 da kol marra! lol

What I personally would be willing to buy is that there was some issue with CAATSA but that it was going to take some time to get resolved and maybe the EAF discussed the possibility of modifying the IRBIS-E to the N036B-1-01 X-band AESA since Phazatron was starting to pump them out with the production of the Su-57 and the delay would solve both problems and upgrade the entire Su-35SE with complete AESA capability. But sadly, that's even wishful thinking and I think the whole thing is strictly US bullcrap pressure (because we know CAATSA is a real thing and does exist) and that seriously needs to be addressed by Sisi & co. because we have way too many systems invested with Russia and need to add more that this ridiculous stipulation by the US because it has some bug up its *** because of Russia is frankly ridiculous.

Israeli press: Egypt imposed its conditions on Israel! Al-Sisi made Egypt an international player and regained leadership in the region..

Israeli press: Egypt imposed its conditions on Israel! Al-Sisi made Egypt an international player and regained leadership in the region..

That is some serious Pro-Sisi propaganda

Too many speculations and inconsistencies!

And..What does South Korea has to do with this?
South Korea was providing some hi-end electronic components used in the radars

Yeah but who cares about all those little details, we can just tape a little piece of chicken wire mesh on the front disc of the IRBIS-E right on top of the TR modules and hot wire a pair of 9 vt batteries and give the radar the added boost of 50 kilometers of power & range and everyone is happy yalla khalas ba2a. :D

View attachment 1031555
Was that the story about the Rafale's SPECTRA jamming the IRBIS-E that was running rampant all over the internet and Youtube and tiktok and crapbook and facecook and all that socio sshhhtttuuuffff?

Because supposedly that was some genius fake "modification" of the actual story which was between a French Rafale and an Indian Su-30MK during one of the Cope-India exercises way back I think in 2010 when -- and supposedly -- the story goes that one of the French pilots in a Rafale worked his SPECTRA and jammed the BARS radar on one of the Su-30MKs which the Indians weren't happy with and ended up making major changes to a pre-production variation of the Zhuk-AE X-band AESA radar before accepting and signing on a contract with Sukhoi & Russia for HAL to produce the now Su-30MKI in India. But then they decided not to go with the Zhuk-AE (since it probably wasn't finished and Phazatron was AND STILL IS having trouble finishing it) and instead do a pashed replacement of the BARS with their own, domestic UTTAM AESA radar and with French and zionist avionics and JMHCS and a bunch of integrated stuff to fire their BRAHMOS and ASTRA and Nirbhay and all the goodies they have. Maybe @Faceless or @MirageBlue or @indushek can correct me if I'm wrong about the whole story including with the Rafale and the Su-30MK?

Not only that, but even the story sounds way too simplistic like the typical Russo-equippo-basho con story unfortunately like so much of what the west constantly tries to throw on Russian-made equipment which tends to give it a very unfair hearsay liable IMO. There wasn't even a mention of the fact that the Su-35S doesn't only operate the main IRBIS-E, but it actually is assisted by the pair of N036L-1-01 L-band AESA arrays on the leading-edge wing flaps for a much broader & capable radar projection. Granted they're not X-band AESA arrays rather L-band but still, they're the same ones going in the Su-57 to work with the main N036B-1-01 X-band nose-mounted AESA radar.

View attachment 1031559

View attachment 1031558

Either way, I still don't think there was the issue with the Su-35S because it doesn't make any sense TBH that they would have a preliminary agreement and sign a $2.5 billion contract and pay a substantial deposit (I'm sure we all know nothing of this caliber starts without a major deposit of at least 1/3 - 1/2 total payment or some substantial incremental payment) on an order of 28 aircraft of this type and have at least what, 21 of them completely finished -- that we've all seen via satellite pics -- parked waiting to be delivered and someone is saying that all of that occurred without the EAF testing the radar let alone the entire aircraft and its complete systems thoroughly prior to any contract being signed? Is that what people are really saying? Do we even begin to realize what a fadi7a that would be or the extent of the ridiculousness that such a disastrous thing would even be suggested? Haraam ya gama3a mesh lazem nakhod el khazou2 da kol marra! lol

What I personally would be willing to buy is that there was some issue with CAATSA but that it was going to take some time to get resolved and maybe the EAF discussed the possibility of modifying the IRBIS-E to the N036B-1-01 X-band AESA since Phazatron was starting to pump them out with the production of the Su-57 and the delay would solve both problems and upgrade the entire Su-35SE with complete AESA capability. But sadly, that's even wishful thinking and I think the whole thing is strictly US bullcrap pressure (because we know CAATSA is a real thing and does exist) and that seriously needs to be addressed by Sisi & co. because we have way too many systems invested with Russia and need to add more that this ridiculous stipulation by the US because it has some bug up its *** because of Russia is frankly ridiculous.
I'm not entirely convinced it was purely due to CAATSA.

Russian gear looks good and seems good on paper, but when it comes to avionics they're way behind and the issue as declared by that Egyptian source was the performance of the avionics/radar/weapons in Egypt (as opposed to what's on the brochure). Wouldn't be the first time the Russians have over-hyped the capabilities of their weapons systems and if it is a fedee7a or scandal then that wouldn't be the first either the Russians or the Egyptians have been involved in (MiG-29SMT FOR Algeria and the L-59 saga in Egypt).

Plus, last time I looked those things were still parked up outside the factory with our camo and serial numbers still on them. So they haven't gone to Iran (like many speculated) and the Russians haven't taken them on even though they need them considering their current situation in Ukraine.....and up until late last year EAF pilots were still in Russia training on the type.

That is some serious Pro-Sisi propaganda

South Korea was providing some hi-end electronic components used in the radars
That is from Israeli press..

Easily replaced by local production, and China..among others..

That is from Israeli press..

Easily replaced by local production, and China..among others..
No that is a selective interpretation of what is being said in the press. Egypt hasn't influenced anything and has imposed diddly squat on Israel. The only entity that can influence or impose anything on Israel is the USA....
As for replacing those components from South Korea, if the Russians could make them they would've done so in the first place. However, from my understanding they did indeed approach the Chinese for replacements.

"Egypt ordered an initial batch of 24 Dassault Rafales in 2015, and another 30 in 2021. The EAF Rafales have been armed with MICA air-to-air missiles, HAMMER stand-off weapons, Al Tariq guided munitions, and SCALP cruise missiles."

Egypt has intergrated AT missile on our Rafales. Good news. But it can't be an alternative to JDAMs?
@Gomig-21 @The SC

Wow that's great. The first time I looked at that link I thought it was just the front cover of the magazine haha. Didn't realize you could actually flip each page and read through the entire magazine.

That only makes sense they would integrate the Al-Tariq in the Rafales considering they have them on the F-16s and Mirage 2Ks. Now let's see them installed on the MiG-29M/M2s and complete the cycle.

View attachment 1031555

View attachment 1031559

View attachment 1031558

Hey brother, hope you are doing well.

From what I searched, I haven't found any such incident on any forums brother. I mean I can't be able to search everything, but there is no mention of such incidence. Come to think of it, Bars radar on SU30MKI is pretty old one tech wise. Its a 80's tech, so Spectra suite jamming it might not be that much of a surprise right?

Further every one into Weapons sales, will come up with these stories lol. What am unable to digest is that, Indian asking for changes in Zhuk ME based on once incident haha. The Super Sukhoi program, where all SU30 MKI were to be upgraded, was considered about a decade or so ago. The Chinese had contracted for SU35 and our guys wanted to upgrade MKI, and radar upgrade was part of it even back then.

With snail paced decision making in India, particularly for weapons (corruption issues has made this worse in this last decade), this Super Sukhoi upgrade got pushed and pushed away (there is the issue of funds as well of course, I mean we brought Rafales made a AC and some nuke subs so there is only so much pie to eat out of). Once Ukraine war started things came to a total halt, with respect to Russia. Even before the war, there were always reports of unreliable Russian supply chains. This is not just for any upgrade, but also for regular spares. DRDO and other related entities, have been trying to localize everything to escape this nightmare. UTTAM is a result of this, and am sure you heard of 'Make In India' initiative as well.

So there are multiple factors, that have lead to current situation, where we are going with full indigenous upgrade (except engines). There are reports that our guys are talking to Russia, to even work on upgrading the engines on our own. Am not sure how far this is true, as they are the OEM and might not agree. Our own Kaveri engine's dry variant, was successful in trials in Russia (no test bed facility in India for high altitude trials, so it has to be sent to Russia) only about a year back. Perhaps they want to use that knowledge, and work on optimizing AL31 in MKI. At this point expecting any proper deliveries from Russia, will be foolish. Will be so for next decade at least, even if the war stops tomorrow.

Hey brother, hope you are doing well.

From what I searched, I haven't found any such incident on any forums brother. I mean I can't be able to search everything, but there is no mention of such incidence. Come to think of it, Bars radar on SU30MKI is pretty old one tech wise. Its a 80's tech, so Spectra suite jamming it might not be that much of a surprise right?

Hope you're doing well, too, ma bro thank you. Yes, makes total sense of course, that SPECTRA would be ahead of BARS and even IRBIS-E considering PESA technology vs AESA. Heck who knows how effective AESA would be against SPECTRA but chances are it evades jamming (at least more effectively than PESA) simply by virtue of having 1000+ separate TR modules that can skip and bounce and share transmission instantaneously vs a single & large transmitter in PESA which transmits constantly from one antenna hence be easier to pin-point & jam.

If I find where I heard that story about the Rafale with Cope India, I'll be sure to post it and tag you just so we don't think I pulled it out of thin air lol. But either way, everything you said makes sense and these stories run rampant with the way the Internet works as we all know. I always go by unless you actually hear it from the horse's mouth, as they say then you never really know and can only judge by the source's reputation.

Further every one into Weapons sales, will come up with these stories lol. What am unable to digest is that, Indian asking for changes in Zhuk ME based on once incident haha. The Super Sukhoi program, where all SU30 MKI were to be upgraded, was considered about a decade or so ago. The Chinese had contracted for SU35 and our guys wanted to upgrade MKI, and radar upgrade was part of it even back then.

Unless I miss-wrote it, it wasn't changes requested to the Zhu-ME but rather swapping the BARS that came standard in the Su-30 MK to the Zhuk-AE (which was to be the new AESA version of the Zhuk-ME). Supposedly that was requested post this phantom occurrence with the Rafale's SPECTRA jamming the BARS but then they realized Zhuk-AE wasn't going to be available the way Phazatron was struggling with it so they decided to go ahead and acquire the MKI with the BARS, sign the contract to build them in India and all that good stuff and in time, perform a phased replacement of the BARS with the UTTAM AESA as the latter became mature and ready. Much wiser decision without a doubt IF that was the case. It also gives credence to both cases; one being AESA is obviously better than PESA or pulse doppler or whatever the case may be and two that this is how things are done prior to signing a big contract; you do A LOT of testing of what you're going to be spending billions upon billions of loot on.

With snail paced decision making in India, particularly for weapons (corruption issues has made this worse in this last decade), this Super Sukhoi upgrade got pushed and pushed away (there is the issue of funds as well of course, I mean we brought Rafales made a AC and some nuke subs so there is only so much pie to eat out of). Once Ukraine war started things came to a total halt, with respect to Russia. Even before the war, there were always reports of unreliable Russian supply chains. This is not just for any upgrade, but also for regular spares. DRDO and other related entities, have been trying to localize everything to escape this nightmare. UTTAM is a result of this, and am sure you heard of 'Make In India' initiative as well.

So there are multiple factors, that have lead to current situation, where we are going with full indigenous upgrade (except engines). There are reports that our guys are talking to Russia, to even work on upgrading the engines on our own. Am not sure how far this is true, as they are the OEM and might not agree. Our own Kaveri engine's dry variant, was successful in trials in Russia (no test bed facility in India for high altitude trials, so it has to be sent to Russia) only about a year back. Perhaps they want to use that knowledge, and work on optimizing AL31 in MKI. At this point expecting any proper deliveries from Russia, will be foolish. Will be so for next decade at least, even if the war stops tomorrow.

All makes perfect sense. Even with whatever snail pace or corruption issues might be there (and that crap is everywhere no-one's hands are clean lol) still, what India has been able to do with the Su-30MKI is phenomenal.

Is the UTTAM actually currently in the Su-30MKIs that are firing the ASTRA? I'm guessing there was some need beyond the Israeli avionics done with the radar or at least for mid-course adjustments to the ASTRA given that presumably its range is greater than what the BARS can provide? That would be good to know because then perhaps that might be the reason why we're seeing our MiG-29Ms with only the standard R-77 and not the more capable R-77-1. Or if the Indian Navy's MiG-29Ks were/are using either the ASTRA or R-77-1 since they also have the same Zhuk-ME that is in the MiG-29M/M2. Crap I'm even giving myself a friggin headache here! :D

I'm not entirely convinced it was purely due to CAATSA.

It makes much more sense, though, wouldn't you agree with that at least? Rather than them committing to such a huge deal without not only testing the basic and main components of the aircraft but knowing about them only to find out after 5 have been supposedly delivered?

I'm just curious, where did you hear or read that the 5 which were delivered had come "disassembled" and had to be shipped back? They fly those things over they don't bring them cargo-ed in sections to be assembled in country.
Unless by this...

All 5 aircraft were promptly disassembled and shipped back to Russia

...you meant they had taken the radar and other things apart and had to put them back together to be able to fly the jets back? That right there TBH screams 'problems' with the story since there is no such thing as delivering disassembled fighter jets and have them assembled at the place where they can easily be flown to.

Russian gear looks good and seems good on paper, but when it comes to avionics they're way behind and the issue as declared by that Egyptian source was the performance of the avionics/radar/weapons in Egypt (as opposed to what's on the brochure). Wouldn't be the first time the Russians have over-hyped the capabilities of their weapons systems and if it is a fedee7a or scandal then that wouldn't be the first either the Russians or the Egyptians have been involved in (MiG-29SMT FOR Algeria and the L-59 saga in Egypt).

Wasn't the L-59 a deal with Czechoslovakia at the time? Or as like @Ghostkiller likes to remind me "it's not Czechoslovakia it's Czech Republic because..." :D I don't think the L-59s were contracted through Russia as far as I know.

The Algerians did have issues with the MiG-29 SMT you're right I remember that very well but even then, the story was all over the place. One version was that they were used jets and cleaned up made to look new and that the Russians tried to pass them onto the Algerians hoping they wouldn't notice LOLOL and the other was once they ran their first cycle for overhaul, they went to take them apart and found a bunch of zionist parts in them and freaked out and got all upset and told the Russians there wasn't supposed to be any demon parts in their aircraft when they really should've known that already. Heck even us layman know more than that and to think the great Algerian Air Force wouldn't be aware of such things is akin to the EAF not testing a single Su-35S prior to signing a multi-billion-dollar contract then finding out basic information after the fact. Just being honest with you here, ma bro. I think some level of credit needs to be given to these people that they're not complete schmucks. Just out of curiosity, which version of the SMT story are you referring to?

That's also not an uncommon occurrence we saw something somewhat similar with the US and its delivery of EAF F-4 Phantoms. Those things were awful in their first introduction as they sent some wicked old platforms they seemed to be getting rid of and I remember EAF pilots were not happy with those things because they were just horribly old. Like buying a junkyard car and the thing barely cranks or turns over lol.

Plus, last time I looked those things were still parked up outside the factory with our camo and serial numbers still on them. So they haven't gone to Iran (like many speculated) and the Russians haven't taken them on even though they need them considering their current situation in Ukraine.....and up until late last year EAF pilots were still in Russia training on the type.

They seem to still be parked at NnAAPO and haven't gone to Iran which supports the theory more so that it's pending a deal being worked out with the US & CAATSA rather than a radar issue since there doesn't seem to be any work being done on them to replace the radar and it's been a while AND also I did recently find out that those aircraft most likely have had certain customized systems for the EAF to work with Egypt's Russian-made air defense systems. Hence one of the reasons why they wouldn't necessarily be a good fit for Iran which would want ones that are customized to its own ADS and whatever other in-house modifications might be needed.

And also Russia's version is quite different for the same reasons as much as the VKS has its own Su-35S production contract for its own squadrons. They would probably be better off finding a new customer instead of going through making such required changes. I certainly could be wrong, but it just seems more likely to me.

I'm holding out hope. I look at what India has done, and I look at what even China has done, and I think the MiG/Sukhoi mix with the F-16/Rafale/Mirage 2K mix works well and has so much more potential than say stopping at this point and shifting to something like the J-10C. They're already substantially committed to the MiG-29/35 that to make a drastic shift at this point would be more of a headache. And there's the weapons' compatibility issue as well. What's your opinion on that, would you like to see them toss the Su-35 completely and move to the J-10C for example?

Wasn't the L-59 a deal with Czechoslovakia at the time? Or as like @Ghostkiller likes to remind me "it's not Czechoslovakia it's Czech Republic because..." :D I don't think the L-59s were contracted through Russia as far as I know.
You are living in the old era pal hahahahaha

Cool stuff, note they are armed with AK-15 rifles and strangely with old 7,62x39mm magazines. Unfortunately most of them weren't issued any optics or reflex sights.View attachment 1031914
Is old magazines bad? I think we did that because we have in abondance those ammos. And sadly not all of them are issued with optics or anything. IDK why.

Back
Top Bottom