What's new

India test-fires nuclear-capable missile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomCat111

Reaction score
By ARCHANA MISHRA, Associated Press Writer
Sun Nov 19, 9:58 AM ET

BHUBANESHWAR, India - India successfully test-fired a medium-range nuclear-capable missile on Sunday, days after its rival Pakistan launched a similar missile.

The Prithvi missile was fired into the Bay of Bengal from the test range in Chandipur in the eastern state of Orissa, the official said on condition of anonymity as he is not allowed to reveal his identity under ministry rules. The test comes three days after rival Pakistan carried out a similar test of its nuclear-capable Ghauri missile, also known as the Hatf 5.

The competing missile tests came after the countries concluded a crucial round of peace talks in New Delhi aimed at resolving their differences, including the thorny issue of their territorial dispute over the Himalayan region of Kashmir.

Peace talks often come under criticism from hard-liners in both India and Pakistan, which have fought three wars — two of them over Kashmir_ since independence from Britain in 1947.

Sunday's test was "routine" and "part of the country's air defense exercises," Press Trust of India news agency quoted an unnamed official as saying.

India routinely test-fires missiles it is developing for military use, as does Pakistan. Pakistan Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said Sunday that India had informed Pakistan ahead of time about the test, as is standard between the nuclear rivals.

On Saturday, district authorities in Chandipur evacuated around 2,750 villagers living near the missile testing range to two large shelters about a mile away, PTI said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061119/ap_on_re_as/india_missile_test

Sources said this cud be a ABM testing, whereeas Dia of Prithvi is not suitable for ABM but either a new radar testing or prithvi has been modified.

Lets see if i can get any more info from my sources.

This can be a plain routine test as well.and its safest to assume that.

I thought India was going to test the Prithvi III missile, that was reported yesterday.

lol all reports are bogus.
some says prithvi ii, tv says prithvi iii.
It was prithvi ii for sure but i'm quite sure the purpose is either to test a new Radar or it has been modified as ABM.

one article said "air force version", there are no air force version as such.
high suspectibility is ABM , lemme hang on with some dudes :P

CNN mentioned that it was a Surface to Surface missile with a range of 250km.

Maybe Pakistan will reply with its own missile test.:P

Joey and Neo here too...the world's a small place after all!!!

they had tested it sometimes back so u think had they modified it to ABM in relevently short time ?
If its air-force version thn range of 250km is enough ???

Joey and Neo here too...the world's a small place after all!!!

Welcome aboard Draconian, yep we meet again. :P
Please introduce yourself so we can give you a warm and proper welcome to :pff:

Neo

Well this test was expected from India, in returns to Pakistan's Ghauri missile test, on tit for tat basis.:disagree:

No jana and neo wrong information.

Prithvi is serving in two regiments and normally there not much use of prithvi in the new cold start doctrine India is following now "two massive exercises signals that".

So after it acquired ELtra green pine radars from israel which is a part of arrow - 2 system US refused to give Arrow 2 instead offerred pac 3 which we denied.

Sources told me this has been modified a ABM and this is a routine test many more tests will be conducted.
if you go through BBC news u'll see "air defence test", so either its a new radar test or as a ABM test.

Recently we are doing a lot of things....keep in touch in orkut u might know from horses mouth.

btw, this test is a long time 1 month preparation so imediate reaction from pakistans test - not possible.

I personally think prithvi and Army has planned to raise brahmos reguments as well as some upcoming LACM if the SLCM goes through.

Prithvi 2 is completely developed and there is no use of testing it over and over when the main thing prithvi does is massive warhead to break concentration of enemy camps nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom