What's new

Indonesia To Buy German Tanks, Cancels Dutch Deal

Sasquatch

RETIRED INTL MOD
Reaction score
Country
China
Indonesia today announced its decision to buy 100 battle tanks from Germany after pulling out of a deal that was earlier awarded to Netherlands. The decision to cancel the $280 million contract comes after spending several months awaiting approval from the Dutch parliament.

"We are disappointed because we were serious in wanting to buy the Dutch tanks," defence ministry spokesman Hartind Asrin was quoted as saying. "We had gone to the warehouse to look at them and they were good. The price was also right, at around US$280 million".

"The Dutch government was agreeable to the deal, but the Dutch parliament kept us waiting. There was still no approval after eight to nine months of waiting, so last week we called off the deal," he said.

Asrin also added that 14 units are expected to arrive from Germany by the end of this year.

Indonesia has earmarked 99 trillion rupiah (S$13 billion) from 2010 to 2014 to modernise its defense systems, according to local media reports quoting National Development Planning Minister Armida Alisjahbana. One third of the budget has been set aside for maintenance with the remaining two thirds for purchasing defense systems and weapons, she was quoted as saying.

Indonesia today announced its decision to buy 100 battle tanks from Germany after pulling out of a deal that was earlier awarded to Netherlands. The decision to cancel the $280 million contract comes after spending several months awaiting approval from the Dutch parliament.

"We are disappointed because we were serious in wanting to buy the Dutch tanks," defence ministry spokesman Hartind Asrin was quoted as saying. "We had gone to the warehouse to look at them and they were good. The price was also right, at around US$280 million".

"The Dutch government was agreeable to the deal, but the Dutch parliament kept us waiting. There was still no approval after eight to nine months of waiting, so last week we called off the deal," he said.

Asrin also added that 14 units are expected to arrive from Germany by the end of this year.

Indonesia has earmarked 99 trillion rupiah (S$13 billion) from 2010 to 2014 to modernise its defense systems, according to local media reports quoting National Development Planning Minister Armida Alisjahbana. One third of the budget has been set aside for maintenance with the remaining two thirds for purchasing defense systems and weapons, she was quoted as saying.
I can't understand one thing why on earth Indonesia focus is on developing its Army and Navy but not its Air Force in these modern days both Navy and Army are sitting ducks if they are not backed by really strong Air Force and Indonesian Air Force is almost non existent at this time they should have at least 400 most modern Fighter Planes to defend their Air Space but they are wasting their money in buying Tanks Man I seriously now have to think about mental level of Indonesian Policy makers what are the up to ?

Perhaps their immediate threat is land and naval based, being an island-based nation probably makes it important to keep the whole thing together, and a tank is a mobile+stable platform, sort of like an extension of the governments reach. An aircraft has to fly back to refuel etc. so I think tanks + ships are a good investment.

Plus I think they have a lot of tropical forest, so I guess it's easy to hide + problematik. I remember reading that during the vietnam war, the US airplanes we're exposed due to the rain forest being so thick, and hard to see through.

Bad decision, They should have invested in Ground Radars and Medium-High Altitude SAMs Systems before anything else.

I can't understand one thing why on earth Indonesia focus is on developing its Army and Navy but not its Air Force in these modern days both Navy and Army are sitting ducks if they are not backed by really strong Air Force and Indonesian Air Force is almost non existent at this time they should have at least 400 most modern Fighter Planes to defend their Air Space but they are wasting their money in buying Tanks Man I seriously now have to think about mental level of Indonesian Policy makers what are the up to ?

We don't have any threat from any country, both China and US are our friends :)

Which air force is it that Indonesian Army and Navy is a 'sitting duck' for in your assessment? "Mighty Kangaroo Airforce" comprising Aardvarks and Hornets? Maybe you should also consider that KF-X/IF-X 'stealth' plane is in design stages, so Indonesian government may not see the need for immediate procurement of large numbers of fighter aircrafts from abroad as a stop-gap measure at the moment.

That's not to say Indonesian military planners have no limitations or Indonesian government has no flaws. As many Indonesians openly admit and discuss, Indonesian government has its share of flaws but why would spending a few hundred million dollars on purchasing some 100 MBTs be a massive waste of money for a 850 billion USD economy, which spends less than 2% of its GDP on defense?

Which air force is it that Indonesian Army and Navy is a 'sitting duck' for in your assessment? "Mighty Kangaroo Airforce" comprising Aardvarks and Hornets? Maybe you should also consider that KF-X/IF-X 'stealth' plane is in design stages, so Indonesian government may not see the need for immediate procurement of large numbers of fighter aircrafts from abroad as a stop-gap measure at the moment.

That's not to say Indonesian military planners have no limitations or Indonesian government has no flaws. As many Indonesians openly admit and discuss, Indonesian government has its share of flaws but why would spending a few hundred million dollars on purchasing some 100 MBTs be a massive waste of money for a 850 billion USD economy, which spends less than 2% of its GDP on defense?

Indonesia and Australia are enemies ?

Maybe they need these Tanks to launch more "Raids" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Indonesia has plans to update their air force with the KF-X also there was some news about Indonesia being interested in the SU35.

Perhaps their immediate threat is land and naval based, being an island-based nation probably makes it important to keep the whole thing together, and a tank is a mobile+stable platform, sort of like an extension of the governments reach. An aircraft has to fly back to refuel etc. so I think tanks + ships are a good investment.

Plus I think they have a lot of tropical forest, so I guess it's easy to hide + problematik. I remember reading that during the vietnam war, the US airplanes we're exposed due to the rain forest being so thick, and hard to see through.
Sir if they get attacked by a country that will use its Air Force even Singapore is equipped with 150 most powerful fighter planes and they will take only an hour maximum to destroy Indonesian Navy and Air Force

Yes and that will take around 10 years at least to develop that stealth plane and what will they do than sleep and let people die WOW great idea Sir every country has its Air Forces and they spend most on Air Force than Navy and than Army

Indonesia is an emerging world power.......i think it needs to develop it's navy and airforce for a bit of power projection......

dude we already built strong air force we join KFX fighter programme with korean it still on progreess and we got 24 f-16 from US and we want buy more sukhois from russia

Indonesia and Australia are enemies ?

no we are friend

Bad decision, They should have invested in Ground Radars and Medium-High Altitude SAMs Systems before anything else.

we want leopard guarding borneo border and facing malaysia PT-91M Twardy

dude we already built strong air force we join KFX fighter programme with korean it still on progreess and we got 24 f-16 from US and we want buy more sukhois from russia

no we are friend

we want leopard guarding borneo border and facing malaysia PT-91M Twardy
Sir Indonesia should have at least 300 Fighter Planes and when F-16 were delivered till to this date those 24 F-16 are not delivered yet and how many more Sukhois Indonesia plan to buy

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom