What's new

Featured PAF Center of Artificial Intelligence and Computing

Do we have any plan to include Pakistani Universities in it also?
It is there. But here - these dodo birds instead of having entire academic institutions support and build their IP; want to isolate and work on problems. What do these dodos know of algorithms, complexity let alone what is NP complete etc. This is a multi-dimensional field. Let us seperate buzz words from actual capabilities, and intellect with IQ to do the actual problem solving.

This is exactly the culture that kills innovation. Let me ask what problems are they going to be solving? Yes you have the buzz word - where is the infrastructure or teachers/mathematicians and technologists? No where i see just people who know how to salute.

I am saying this because it is complete bullshit. You already have really talented students from a few institutions (you can PM me seperately and I can give them to you for reference); where are these kids? they will leave the country and get employed elsewhere; it is the PAF on pedestal and bow down to these dodo is what causes malaise. Instead, they will outsource this work to some one in CHina. This is the height of pathetic use of tax payers funds.

sorry friends, i am being super critical because I know first hand of the people I have worked with in past few years from Pak in this specific field.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Last edited:
It is there. But here - these dodo birds instead of having entire academic institutions support and build their IP; want to isolate and work on problems. What do these dodos know of algorithms, complexity let alone what is NP complete etc. This is a multi-dimensional field. Let us seperate buzz words from actual capabilities, and intellect with IQ to do the actual problem solving.

This is exactly the culture that kills innovation. Let me ask what problems are they going to be solving? Yes you have the buzz word - where is the infrastructure or teachers/mathematicians and technologists? No where i see just people who know how to salute.

I am saying this because it is complete bullshit. You already have really talented students from a few institutions (you can PM me seperately and I can give them to you for reference); where are these kids? they will leave the country and get employed elsewhere; it is the PAF on pedestal and bow down to these dodo is what causes malaise.

sorry friends, i am being super critical because I know first hand of the people I have worked with in past few years from Pak in this specific field.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)
That is the single biggest problem in Pakistani R&D . Those that set these up and run them are only looking for saluted and green ACRs for promotions ; not actual content or progress.

That is the single biggest problem in Pakistani R&D . Those that set these up and run them are only looking for saluted and green ACRs for promotions ; not actual content or progress.

Correct. It is a pathetic situation really.

To put what @JamD is saying in economic terms:

If the Pakistani private sector can supply $2 b a year of arms to the military, that's a $2 b savings on our foreign currency each year.

So even if the exports are $100 m, the added economic value of the defence industry is $2.1 b because of the savings (from avoiding imports).

On top of that, because GHQ is spending $2 b locally, it is injecting $2 b a year into our economy, which leads to jobs in manufacturing, engineering, etc.

So you have a few million middle to upper-middle class households, which means they'll spend -- which means you'll get others investing to meet their needs.

Overall, that $2 b local arms purchase translates into $3-4 b of economic activity (because if the defence industry people need homes, the homebuilders need cars, and the car makers need food, and food makers need equipment, etc). The gov't will tax all that activity, so its revenues go up and, as a result, our defence budget goes up and we buy more arms locally.

That said, we might not do well with defence exports, but if our private sector can build capacity in engineering, high-tech manufacturing, and R&D, they could drive other types of exports. They can, for example, sell design and engineering services or join some giant OEM's (e.g., Boeing, Airbus, etc) supply chain.

This comment should be read by all economic novices. beautifully encapsulates the knock-over/trickledown effect in very simplified terms. Can a sturdier case for weapon system indigenization be made? I do not believe so. A strong economic incentive/argument to pursuing self-sufficiency. Going a bit off-topic making this comment, but this comment needed to be recognized.

I am saying this because it is complete bullshit. You already have really talented students from a few institutions (you can PM me seperately and I can give them to you for reference); where are these kids? they will leave the country and get employed elsewhere; it is the PAF on pedestal and bow down to these dodo is what causes malaise. Instead, they will outsource this work to some one in CHina. This is the height of pathetic use of tax payers funds.

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)
Talent retention also needs financial incentives. Our public sector enterprises/institutions do not have the financial juice to compete with the private sector abroad to retain that talent. I think at the base of it all, you would find the economy to be the chief culprit. I believe increasing the size of the pie or the share in a pie could help alleviate much of what we complain about here at PDF. However, it would still be a gradual process where talented individuals would take considerable time to reach positions of influence to actually change the institutional culture you pointed at. Maybe, better civilian oversight could push the institutions into changing their attitude towards real innovation rather than just filling the man-hours. However, that in itself is among the biggest challenges in a country like Pakistan.

The other problem is that most of research papers don't get published as universities are too lazy to do so.
That way the research done in Pakistan doesn't get known.

Likewise morally corrupted nation has a very high percentage of professors offering pass marks to M.Phil and PHD students in return for sex.

Last edited:

@Bilal Khan (Quwa)
Actually in Pakistan, we never adopted rational thinking. We think if China became developed, we will become developed automatically.
So yeah, you are right.

The other problem is that most of research papers don't get published as universities are too lazy to do so.

Likewise morally corrupted nation has a very high percentage of professors offering pass marks to M.Phil and PHD students in return for sex.

The situation is not well everywhere, Affinity famed Mr. Zia Chishti is also facing allegations of 'sexual violence' in USA:

There is a recent report that some 890 something articles (emanating out of nearly all major universities in the country) have been highlighted for plagiarism recently by an international publisher.
HEC should strike off the requirement of producing a certain number of publications each year for academics and replace it with getting a certain number of articles in high impact factor journals in the field (a bar should be set on what high impact factor would mean for a given field). This would discourage plagiarism to make the numbers and encourage researchers to invest time and energy in producing qualitative research.

There is a recent report that some 890 something articles (emanating out of nearly all major universities in the country) have been highlighted for plagiarism recently by an international publisher.
HEC should strike off the requirement of producing a certain number of publications each year for academics and replace it with getting a certain number of articles in high impact factor journals in the field (a bar should be set on what high impact factor would mean for a given field). This would discourage plagiarism to make the numbers and encourage researchers to invest time and energy in producing qualitative research.
plagiarism is one thing, incompetence is another. recently, an experienced prof from comsats-isb proudly told me how he has published some works on AI. he gave me the paper that he had published, and it was total garbage. and the guy was practically chest thumping himself for the publication.

Artificial intelligence plus the Quantum computing is the future.
Will PAF also step into quantum computing?
you are really either not knowing the topic at hand or really naive of what is involved.

Back
Top Bottom