What's new

Pakistan Players To Donate 25pc Match Fees

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan players to donate 25pc match fees: ICC commits Super Series funding to Pakistan earthquake relief

SYDNEY: The International Cricket Council (ICC) will donate revenue from the Super Series Test match between Australia and the World XI to the Red Cross relief effort for the earthquake disaster in Pakistan instead of holding a separate charity match.

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, in Australia for the Super Series, had asked the ICC to host a charity match similar to the tsunami benefit in Melbourne in January, which pitted Australia against an International XI and raised millions of dollars. ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed told a news conference on Wednesday that a donation equivalent to the revenue from the second day of the Test match, plus telephone and online appeals and collections at the Sydney Cricket Ground was the most effective way of helping.

“The disaster in Pakistan and Asia has struck in cricket countries. The ICC will dedicate the Saturday of the Test match to the appeal,” Speed said. “We believe that’s the best way cricket can show its remorse; can show to the people in the countries effected that we’re thinking of them.” Speed said the ICC investigated staging a charity match, but “we think the approach we’re taking is a more effective way of addressing the issue and will produce better results for the Red Cross appeal.

“I spoke to Shoaib about that and he’s happy and appreciative of the approach we’ve taken.” Pakistan captain Inzamamul Haq, also in Sydney for the World XI, expected the death toll to mount when rescuers reach remote areas that so far haven’t been accessible.

“It’s a big tragedy,” said Inzamam. “About 35,000-40,000 is the official toll, but my personal opinion is that it will be more. The remote areas, they haven’t reached them, they don’t know how many people are gone. There’s no food, nothing ... bad conditions and millions of people are affected.” He said the Pakistan international cricketers would donate 25 percent of their match fees to the appeal from their upcoming series against England.

The 7.6-magnitude quake on Saturday demolished whole communities, mostly in the Himalayan region of Kashmir, and aid has not reached many areas. The Pakistani government’s official death toll was about 23,000 people, but a senior army official involved in the rescue operations said the toll is between 35,000 to 40,000 people. India said more than 1,400 people died in the part of Kashmir that it controls. ap

Originally posted by Web Master@Oct 14 2005, 09:09 AM
Pakistan players to donate 25pc match fees: ICC commits Super Series funding to Pakistan earthquake relief

SYDNEY: The International Cricket Council (ICC) will donate revenue from the Super Series Test match between Australia and the World XI to the Red Cross relief effort for the earthquake disaster in Pakistan instead of holding a separate charity match.

Pakistan fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar, in Australia for the Super Series, had asked the ICC to host a charity match similar to the tsunami benefit in Melbourne in January, which pitted Australia against an International XI and raised millions of dollars. ICC chief executive Malcolm Speed told a news conference on Wednesday that a donation equivalent to the revenue from the second day of the Test match, plus telephone and online appeals and collections at the Sydney Cricket Ground was the most effective way of helping.

“The disaster in Pakistan and Asia has struck in cricket countries. The ICC will dedicate the Saturday of the Test match to the appeal,” Speed said. “We believe that’s the best way cricket can show its remorse; can show to the people in the countries effected that we’re thinking of them.” Speed said the ICC investigated staging a charity match, but “we think the approach we’re taking is a more effective way of addressing the issue and will produce better results for the Red Cross appeal.

“I spoke to Shoaib about that and he’s happy and appreciative of the approach we’ve taken.” Pakistan captain Inzamamul Haq, also in Sydney for the World XI, expected the death toll to mount when rescuers reach remote areas that so far haven’t been accessible.

“It’s a big tragedy,” said Inzamam. “About 35,000-40,000 is the official toll, but my personal opinion is that it will be more. The remote areas, they haven’t reached them, they don’t know how many people are gone. There’s no food, nothing ... bad conditions and millions of people are affected.” He said the Pakistan international cricketers would donate 25 percent of their match fees to the appeal from their upcoming series against England.

The 7.6-magnitude quake on Saturday demolished whole communities, mostly in the Himalayan region of Kashmir, and aid has not reached many areas. The Pakistani government’s official death toll was about 23,000 people, but a senior army official involved in the rescue operations said the toll is between 35,000 to 40,000 people. India said more than 1,400 people died in the part of Kashmir that it controls. ap
[post=766]Quoted post[/post]​

bah cricketers are no good .. they should donate all their match fee complete 100% .. they after all make millions a month out of advertizement contracts :ranting:

i'm refering to the top international cricketers .. not local domestic ones .. these guys are worshipped as gods in india pak bangladesh and lanka .. yet they are no good selfish people .. they dont even winn any major tourney .. BAH last india won WC was 1983 ROFL 22 years ago .. PAK won in 92 .. 13 years ago

i might be biased because i hate cricket and no good loser cricketers .. all the topc start play good for 1 season and make money for next 15 years

:LOLANI: truely said, but this doesn't goes to all the cricketers.

Man, you got to admit both country India and Pakistan were in the last world cups final! :w00t: and they are good!

Cricketing stars raise $42,000 for victims
(IANS)

20 October 2005

ISLAMABAD —Three Pakistani cricketers have raised almost $42,000 from the sale of their personal paraphernalia for victims of the October 8 earthquake that has killed tens of thousands in the country.

Former Pakistan cricket captain Rashid Latif, current vice-captain Younis Khan and right arm paceman Mohammad Sami auctioned personal belongings including bats and t-shirts to show their solidarity with their fellow citizens.

“We only know that some cricket enthusiasts bought these items and have already donated the money to a charity for the earthquake victims,” The News yesterday quoted Latif as saying.

Rashid auctioned the bat with which he scored his highest Test score of 150 against the West Indies in 2002. He had once loaned the bat to former opener Saeed Anwar, who scored a hundred with it against India in the 2003 World Cup at Centurion Park in South Africa.

The prize catch was a bat donated by Younis Khan that he used in the memorable Bangalore Test against India in which he scored 267 and 84 in the two innings to set up a win for Pakistan.

Sami parted with the official team T-shirt that he wore in the 2003 World Cup.

At-least now we should be happy with them. I have seen their interviews they know tha pain!

Originally posted by Ahsan Farooqui@Oct 19 2005, 12:23 PM
:LOLANI: truely said, but this doesn't goes to all the cricketers.

Man, you got to admit both country India and Pakistan were in the last world cups final! :w00t: and they are good!
[post=1013]Quoted post[/post]​
and both lost miserably .. india gave away 360 runs and pakistan made only 140 .. :wtf1: :bash: ek ko bowling nahi aati, doosre ko batting

:laughing: Seriously i thought the Pakistan game was "satta bazi." How can a cricket will lose so badly in the world cup final which has outstanding record during the world cup.

However, India did best, i doubt there was anything called "satta" in there.

Yep there was definately some bribing involved in '99 world cup. I remember some Pakistani batsmen getting out and one could tell after looking some of the batsmen getting out that they wanted to get out. Inzamam was a great example. However, I blame our team and Wasim Akram for accepting the bribe. We could have had another world cup on our name if those idiots didn't choose money over pride and the country.

Back
Top Bottom