What's new

''Sharpshooters'' Convert To Thunder Bravos Move To Bholari

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
1640881848673.png

Getting information that PAF's No 18 Squadron, previously equipped with F-7P aircraft call sign ''Sharpshooters'' has converted to JF-17 Thunder Bravo jets and has moved to Bholari airbase to be co-located with the No-19 F-16 Unit.
Suffice to say that the No-18 will act as the Thunder OCU.

Didnt this happen more than a year ago? There was a tail picture of a B with sharpshooters logo on it back then.

Didnt this happen more than a year ago? There was a tail picture of a B with sharpshooters logo on it back then.
They were stationed in Kamra till now, let's see when this news gets confirmed officially.

There's a SAAB sqn posted at Bholari ( as per a PDF post ) as well and last time I checked Bholari can house 2 squadrons only and if you check Google Maps ( yes not very latest ) the number of HAS can handle only 1 squadron. But let's wait for official news.

Not very long ago, two senior and credible PDF members ( one AWOL now ) claimed Masroor will be converted to a Slow Flying base and Fighters will move to Bholari. But so far that hasn't happened yet either.

Last edited:
They were stationed in Kamra till now, let's see when this news gets confirmed officially.

There's a SAAB sqn posted at Bholari ( as per a PDF post ) as well and last time I checked Bholari can house 2 squadrons only and if you check Google Maps ( yes not very latest ) the number of HAS can handle only 1 squadron. But let's wait for official news.

Not very long ago, two senior and credible PDF members ( one AWOL now ) claimed Masroor will be converted to a Slow Flying base and Fighters will move to Bholari. But so far that hasn't happened yet either.
Might have been an opinion - the infra at Masroor would be difficult to replace and leaving all of it to house Hercs or Karokarams doesn’t make any sense.
Bholari isn’t Dhafra or Al Udied to be able to house all of this - the IAF has faced this already at an existing base where their HAS are too small for the MKI so they now sit in the open air tin shelter.

Might have been an opinion - the infra at Masroor would be difficult to replace and leaving all of it to house Hercs or Karokarams doesn’t make any sense.
Bholari isn’t Dhafra or Al Udied to be able to house all of this - the IAF has faced this already at an existing base where their HAS are too small for the MKI so they now sit in the open air tin shelter.
Yes, that's what I am trying to say. Masroor is too good to leave it just with Slow Ops, Faisal is already there to perform these duties.

And Bholari is too young/small yet to house 3 full squadrons.

But news could be true, you never know. Or it could be a temporary deployment as Sharp Shooters home base is already full these days.

I think it's interesting that the PAF is (seemingly) putting the OCU units of each fighter in one airbase. Doing so would imply that Bholari would evolve into a committed training base. If that is the case, could they potentially move DACT and CCS to Bholari too?

I think it's interesting that the PAF is (seemingly) putting the OCU units of each fighter in one airbase. Doing so would imply that Bholari would evolve into a committed training base. If that is the case, could they potentially move DACT and CCS to Bholari too?
I don’t think so - Bholari may be turned into a training base but the infrastructure for CCS is well
Embedded at Sargodha which is likely to remain Pakistan’s “fighter town”.

What is likely happening is taking away the JF-17 training from Kamra to Bholari so it can return to being focused as a manufacturing and testing hub. What they(if) intend to do in terms of compensating for Kamra being available as a fighter MOB would be interesting.

Kamra is still very exposed to civilian activities so short of suggesting anything illegal the PAF needs to move away the population somehow further out so that when the various efforts under AZM come to fruition they aren’t immediately picked up by some shabbir on RAW payroll.

I respectfully disagree. Thunder's OCU ( until this news is confirmed ) is in Peshawar, Mirage's in Shorkot, F-16 OCU is in Jacobland as well and F-7s OCU is in Mianwali. But interesting idea though. Wonder what strategic significance it would have for the aggressor.

DACT isn't a unit or a squadron. I am sure, being a senior member you know that.

CCS is ideally located at Mushaf, close to ACE and Griffins.
Sir, don't forget that after the crash of a Bravo, the type remained grounded for several months, only recently they are back to operational flying.
That's normal for any relatively new aircraft.

Though previously, Mianwali was considered to a training base when only FCU and F-7 OCUs were stationed there.

Thunder's OCU ( until this news is confirmed ) is in Peshawar, Mirage's in Shorkot, F-16 OCU is in Jacobland as well and F-7s OCU is in Mianwali. But interesting idea though.
Well first thing is that any new units of Jfs seem to always stay at Kamra for a while, especially if its a new mod vis first Blk 1 then Blk 2 then B, so obviosly Sharpshooter being the first full unit with Bs was destined to move out to make room for the first sqd of Blk 3s (remour has its the Tigers).

What Im surprised is No. 18 Sharpshooters moving to Bholari instead of Mianwali. Granted it was F-7s OCU that was at Mianwali but since those types are now nearly done and dusted (if you include PGs as well), then it would make sense to have the F-7's OCU homebase to house atleast some Jf OCUs. All this suggests PAF is taking LIFT very seriously and that will be Mianwali's role for the foreseable future.

Here's one in Black Panther markings but doesn't mean that No 16 is an OCU.

@Windjammer what makes you think its not a Blackpanther piece? Even non-OCU sqds were supposed to receive one or two Bs (source: Interview of PAF person in some magazine, cant remember where).

View attachment 804674

Getting information that PAF's No 18 Squadron, previously equipped with F-7P aircraft call sign ''Sharpshooters'' has converted to JF-17 Thunder Bravo jets and has moved to Bholari airbase to be co-located with the No-19 F-16 Unit.
Suffice to say that the No-18 will act as the Thunder OCU.

I'd say that unless it is publicised, movement / re-location of military units should not be mentioned on forums...

I'd say that unless it is publicised, movement / re-location of military units should not be mentioned on forums...
PHYSICAL movement of military units cant be hidden in any case. In this case, people living around Bholari, alongwith good Sats, would have already picked up this movement.
We on PDF, unfortunately, are the last ones to receive such news.....due to our near to no-access to such news.

I don’t think so - Bholari may be turned into a training base but the infrastructure for CCS is well
Embedded at Sargodha which is likely to remain Pakistan’s “fighter town”.

What is likely happening is taking away the JF-17 training from Kamra to Bholari so it can return to being focused as a manufacturing and testing hub. What they(if) intend to do in terms of compensating for Kamra being available as a fighter MOB would be interesting.

Kamra is still very exposed to civilian activities so short of suggesting anything illegal the PAF needs to move away the population somehow further out so that when the various efforts under AZM come to fruition they aren’t immediately picked up by some shabbir on RAW payroll.

Bholari maybe a decent base for more offensive PAF training; long duration flights over the ocean, low level flights over the Indus delta, flights through the mountains to the west. More Training with the Navy and Marines, while not being in the thick of it with the daily ops at the main base in Karachi.

Back
Top Bottom