What's new

Tempest | the UK's Next Generation Fighter | Updates & Discussions

Absolutely fantastic news. This has made my day today!!! very happy.

As long as we keep the French and Germans away from this project, it has a good chance of success.

We have the core technology for Airframes, Engines(!!), Flight Avionics, Flight Control systems and with Leonardo we can ge the required radar tech.

The approach will be progressive with key systems that will be developed and tested on the Typhoon first. Hopefully they develop a pure airframe with flight control system and get that going soon to iron out the aerodynamic bugs/refinement while the systems are developed seperately and bought together near the end in an integration effort. The proposed sysyems will take some time to develop given the sophistication they are looking to achieve.

DiOJPFPWsAADQrY.jpg DiOLCn_W0AAAnKq.jpg DiOMNpTWAAIH38j.jpg DiONYe1WAAEMB_I.jpg DiOS5sFXcAEmGgK.jpg RS79875_Team-Tempest-Future-Combat-Air-System-concept-infographic-2-lpr.jpg Capture.jpg

Last edited:
it doesnt say anywhere its 6th gen....Im aware that 6th gen studies r going on in europe, specially germany...but im not sure if this tempest is that 6th gen.

It says 6th gen in da video. Please enlighten me of your research on 6th gen in Europe.

it doesnt say anywhere its 6th gen....Im aware that 6th gen studies r going on in europe, specially germany...but im not sure if this tempest is that 6th gen.

It says 6th gen in da video. Please enlighten me of your research on 6th gen in Europe.

Personally, I think Su-57 looks better. Su-57 has AESA in the back, in the front, on both sides. Plus, it's got IRST that Tempest lacks.

inflames-170803-5982ef41127dd.jpg

Full video of the presentation :

A few things stand out to me, besides the fact that it looks pretty cool even though it is a mockup.

1) First thing I noticed is that it's not a tailless design, but an "elevator-less" one, or one that doesn't have horizontal stabilizers. None of the current 5th gens out there to date are like that, not even the J-20 since it's canards basically function almost exactly like H-stabs. The only other platform that was anywhere close to this design was the YF-23, except that had full stabilators that were angled a lot more than the canted stabs on this aircraft.

2) The other very cool aspect is what he mentioned that it can be operated in the manned or unmanned scenario. This is definitely something new that hasn't been done yet.

3) They're looking for partners for the program which is interesting. So they're going about it in a similar fashion as the joint strike fighter program of the F-35 which makes a lot of sense in this day and age. It will be interesting to see who those partners end up being.

The brits are basically pitching a better version to the queen of what they built for the Turkish brothers.

Alot of similarities here between the tempest and the TFX

ohh really!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

kid, its still me, the real me!!!!!!! muahhhh

By the existence of the Tempest, inshallah TFX is gonna be nice.

Back
Top Bottom