What's new

0 for 2. U.S. long-range missile defense test fails again.

Martian2

Reaction score
America is encountering serious setbacks in its missile defense program. Will this provide China with an opportunity to catch the Americans? Only time will tell. The race is on.

Long-range missile defense test fails - CNN.com

"Long-range missile defense test fails
By the CNN Wire Staff
December 15, 2010 9:49 p.m. EST

usmissiletestfails.jpg

An interceptor missile was launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, on Wednesday. The test failed.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

* Missile Defense Agency is investigating how the "kill vehicle" missed the target

* A similar test in January failed because of a problem with sea-based radar

* Nearly half of the systems tests have failed

(CNN) -- A test of the United States' only long-range missile defense system failed Wednesday -- the second failure this year in two tries.

The Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency said both the intermediate-range ballistic missile target and the long-range interceptor missile launched successfully, radar and sensors worked properly and the "kill vehicle" deployed. But the "kill vehicle" didn't hit the target.

"Program officials will conduct an extensive investigation to determine the cause of the failure to intercept the target," the agency said. "The next flight test will be determined after identification of the cause of the failure."

The last test, in January, failed because of a problem with the sea-based X-band radar, the agency said.

The X-band radar sits atop a modified floating oil platform and provides information about incoming missiles so military officials can launch a response.

In both Wednesday's test and the test launched earlier this year, the target missile launched from Kwajalein Atoll in the Republic of the Marshall Islands, and the interceptor launched from Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.

The $100 billion missile shield program has had numerous problems. In December 2008, an interceptor launched from Vandenburg "killed" a target launched from Kodiak, Alaska. But the test wasn't able to determine a key aspect -- whether the interceptor could tell the difference between a decoy and a real missile -- because the decoy failed to launch.

Riki Ellison, chairman and founder of the Missile Defense Advocacy Alliance, a nonpartisan organization that advocates for the deployment of missile defense systems, said the failure "is a tremendous setback," noting three major test failures in the past two years.

Ellison said many of the country's interceptors are nearly identical to the one that failed Wednesday, and he questioned the military's confidence in the ground-based system deployed in Alaska and California.

So far, the Defense Department has deemed eight of the program's 15 tests successful."

actually the Russians are having trouble with their S400 system. that is why they pulled it from the international market.

any source my friend ? or should i believe you? or you just speculating ?

@Topic:Making Interceptors is tough job... The second most important is What is your target.... I Know Amerika has highly capable technology..

I am just giving an example Dont read it as troll...

1. Making Interceptors for Prithvi/Agni missiles is piece of cake for USA (Infact they have done it)
2. Making Interceptor for Brahmos like missiles are Tough job,
3. Be4 thinking that Amerikan tech is poor than any other country, just learn what exactly they are willing to build....

Long Live Amerika,

Last edited:
@Topic:Making Interceptors is tough job... The second most important is What is your target.... I Know Amerika has highly capable technology..

I am just giving an example Dont read it as troll...

1. Making Interceptors for Prithvi/Agni missiles is piece of cake for USA (Infact they have done it)
2. Making Interceptor for Brahmos like missiles are Tough job,
3. Be4 thinking that Amerikan tech is poor than any other country, just learn what exactly they are willing to build....

Long Live Amerika,
Yeap I'd be interested to know too what it failed trying to intercept. Therein would lie the answer to how big a failure it was/is.

For example the Arrows failed against missiles lesser than the Shahab class that Iran operates. Consequently this puts Pakistan at ease too, since India was supposed to be a buyer for these and The Shahabs' and Ghauris have similar capabilities. Then we have Shaheen series which are much more advanced.

So if the Americans can't hit Shahab class missiles with this, then it is a big failure - and I doubt it was being tested against a cruise missile since the ABM's primary purpose is different.

Its okay guys...! Thay will test it again with changes soon..!

as one said :

Failure is the key to success..!

They probably will test it again and again until its successful just like we are doing.

with R&D and the effort US is putting in it , there will be a time when the US would actually make such a system ... !
But once did ,What advantages US would get over its Rivals in this arena ..and wouldn't that trigger yet another Arms race?
Rest assured that the Rivals of US will come up with a better missile system which could evade such defenses...!

any source my friend ? or should i believe you? or you just speculating ?

Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:11:55 PM by ErnstStavroBlofeld
ASPLogin
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2450890/posts

Russia has decided to withdraw its advanced missile defense system for export. Officials said the Kremlin has ordered the state-owned arms agency Rosoboronexport to end marketing of the S-400 air and missile defense system. They said Rosoboronexport was told that the S-400 would be deployed only in Russia until further notice.

"Russia would consider exports only after meeting the requirements of its own armed forces," Rosoboronexport director Anatoly Isaikin said on Jan. 28. Over the last five years, Rosoboronexport has sought to sell the S-400 to a range of Middle East states, including Iran, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates. So far, no export sales were reported.

"There are a lot of preliminary talks," Isaikin said.

The S-400 Triumph was designed to intercept airborne targets at up to 400 kilometers. Rosoboronexport has asserted that the system could destroy stealth aircraft, cruise missiles and ballistic missiles.

In 2009, Rosoboronexport lobbied the Turkish government to purchase the S-400. Ankara, which appears to favor the U.S.-origin PAC-3, has conducted a $1 billion tender for the procurement of missile defense systems.

Officials said the Russian military would require at least two years to exploit the potential of the S-400. The first S-400 battalion entered combat duty in the Moscow region in 2007.

"There have been bugs in the system and this has prevented us from properly demonstrating the S-400 abroad," another official said.

Back
Top Bottom