What's new

150 Russian tanks and jets 'rolling into Georgian breakaway'

It amuses me that a lot of people think the Georgians would be crushed easily. I wonder if the Chechnyan's would have such a high regard for the Russians abilities?

It amuses me that a lot of people think the Georgians would be crushed easily. I wonder if the Chechnyan's would have such a high regard for the Russians abilities?

I'm guessing that the Georgian army will capitulate quickly, but the insurgency will continue for quite some time.

Chechniya is a different case where as in South Ossetia civilians are fleeing to russia and russia seems to be the liberator.. north Ossetia in Russia are ethnically the same as south.. Its only Georgian troops who are resisting Russian attacks and no way will we see any insurgency in South Ossetia unless Russia invades whole of Georgia.

Key I think the reason the Georgian abilities are being talked about is due to the fact that they have taken on the Russians in a conventional, force on force type of an offensive. The Chechens relied on guerrilla warfare from the very start so the comparison may not be correct.

I do not think that Georgians are pushovers in any way..they have been training with NATO forces for a while and I would say that they are probably better integrated than the Russian and most probably better motivated, but the Russians have the numbers on their side.

As I said before, there is no way that Georgians have undertaken this offensive without NATO (US) backing. There is something bigger on hand here than a mere attempt to wrest SO away and back into the Georgian fold.

777f6edf21ca88691ee3c4c27a025c91.jpg

Al Jazera

Heavy fighting in S Ossetia capital

Russian ground forces are battling Georgian troops in and around the capital of the breakaway region of South Ossetia.

Heavy fighting had continued throughout Friday in Tskhnivali, with South Ossetia saying at least 1,400 people had been killed.

Russian tanks had rolled in during the night in support of the South Ossetian separatists under bombardment from Georgian forces.

Earlier in the day, Georgia's interior ministry said the country's air force had shot down at least five Russian aircraft, but the claim could not be independently verified.

Shota Utiashvili, a spokesman at the Georgian ministry, said: "The Georgian air force has downed at least five Russian aircraft. Bitter fighting is ongoing in Tskhinvali [the South Ossetian capital]."

'Turbulent night'

Earlier on Friday, Eduard Kokoity, the South Ossetian separatist leader, told Russia's Interfax news agency that 1,400 South Ossetians had been killed in the fighting.
One hundred and fifty Russian tanks, armoured personnel carriers and other vehicles entered South Ossetia to back the breakaway region against the

Georgia ambassador to UK talks to Al Jazeera

He said: "About 1,400 died. We will check these figures, but the order of the numbers is around this. We have this on the basis of reports from relatives."

The separatist region has been under heavy attack from Georgian forces since a brief ceasefire on Thursday night.

Both sides claim to have the upper hand in the fighting.

The Georgian military says it has "liberated" the area, while some sources say Tskhinvali has been virtually destroyed and Russian troops are on the point of entering the city.

The capital has a population of about 42,000.

A wounded man is treated as medical services are said to be inundated [Reuters]
Jonah Hull, Al Jazeera's correspondent on the border between Georgia and South Ossetia, said that the Georgians were confident of taking on the Russians due to the considerable training and weapons they had received from Western powers in recent years.

He said: "It look like it will be a turbulent night for the citizens in the city."

The Russian defence ministry says 12 of its peacekeepers have been killed and 150 wounded.

Mikheil Saakashvili, the Georgian president, said 30 soldiers had been killed on the
the Georgian side.

Saakashvili said he was urgently recalling 2,000 troops serving in Iraq, in response to the fighting in South Ossetia.

He said: "One brigade of Georgian forces is in Iraq and we are calling it home tomorrow."

I do not think that Georgians are pushovers in any way..they have been training with NATO forces for a while and I would say that they are probably better integrated than the Russian and most probably better motivated, but the Russians have the numbers on their side.
As I said before, there is no way that Georgians have undertaken this offensive without NATO (US) backing. There is something bigger on hand here than a mere attempt to wrest SO away and back into the Georgian fold.

No way are Georgians troops motivated to defend South Ossetia because they simply dont have any backing from the locals.. the locals are fleeing to Noth Ossetia "Russia" and the russians are protecting ossetians... ever since last week the Georgian troops have been attacking and killing ossetians and russian peace keepers and in response Russia has decided to invade and take action aganist Georgia..

The only Nato army that would be the most suitable to intervene would be the German Army.

Could history repeat itself?

No way are Georgians troops motivated to defend South Ossetia because they simply dont have any backing from the locals.. the locals are fleeing to Noth Ossetia "Russia" and the russians are protecting ossetians... ever since last week the Georgian troops have been attacking and killing ossetians and russian peace keepers and in response Russia has decided to invade and take action aganist Georgia..

The Russians have been provoking this for ages in some attempt to regain their former territories. And since they were supplying weapons to the separatists it stinks somewhat.

How can anyone call the Russians "peace keepers" when they were supporting the separatists as well?

Frankly the Russians have no business being upon the sovereign territory of another country.

The Russians have been provoking this for ages in some attempt to regain their former territories. And since they were supplying weapons to the separatists it stinks somewhat.

How can anyone call the Russians "peace keepers" when they were supporting the separatists as well?

Frankly the Russians have no business being upon the sovereign territory of another country.

illegal occupation would be like Chechniya... but in this case the locals Ossetian have no problem with russia... i should not be saying this but i liked georgia and lived my early childhood... NATO is too much concentrated in middle east, SW,SE Asia but it would be great for us if some how these warmongers attention diverts to other region and take their crap out of here... NATOGeorgia vs Russia??

Good point 23march.

NATO has its troubles in Afghanistan and two of its major players the US and UK are also dealing with Iraq so theres never been a better time for the Bear to stretch its muscles!!

A masterful coup. Diabolical but masterful.

i know its parity which in it self is a dilemma at the moment & i think some one should stop them but the question is this then why doesn't the UNITED KINGDOM actually stops RUSSIA care to provide an honest answer or is the sad fact that the U.K falls quiet short of strength here i would definitely love to see the U.K do that

Last edited:
i know its parity which is in itself is a dilemma at the moment & i think some one should stop them but the question is this then why doesn't the UNITED KINGDOM actually stops RUSSIA care to provide an honest answer or is the sad fact that the U.K falls quiet short of strength here i would definitely love to see the U.K do that

What the hell are you talking about? BTW please go to Russia If you love it so much. AFter the police stop you and abuse for the 16th time in a day tell how much you love it. Russians are quite racist and have little regard for idiots like you.

Now go be ******** elsewhere

Last edited:
The only Nato army that would be the most suitable to intervene would be the German Army.

Could history repeat itself?

Dear JK, sir.. If you give me permission, i want to laugh... GERMAN ARMY, against mighty RUSSIAN ARMY!!! NO CHANCE, SIR even BRITISH ARMY dont have any chance!!!afghanistan also took a long time , i mean 11 years to make russians go back to masscow :tup::lol::sniper:....:usflag:

Dear JK, sir.. If you give me permission, i want to laugh... GERMAN ARMY, against mighty RUSSIAN ARMY!!! NO CHANCE, SIR even BRITISH ARMY dont have any chance!!!afghanistan also took a long time , i mean 11 years to make russians go back to masscow :tup::lol::sniper:....:usflag:

The mighty Russian army could barely beat the Chechens who only had a few rocks and bad breath to fight the "mighty" :lol: Russian army with.

errr now the only thing the Russians have is mass manpower and thats it.....I would take German and British Tanks over Russian every day of the week. Not to mention British and German planes and training and doctrine. Don't forget the Allies would be cracking codes and giving away tactical data like last time the Russians won anything. And didn't they lose Afghanistan as well?

The Russians are desperately trying to regain past glories and not doing too great at it. the US is more concerned with China than Russia

Back
Top Bottom