What's new

$160m defence system from US

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score
$160m defence system from US

By Anwar Iqbal

WASHINGTON, Nov 20: The United States is selling high frequency radio systems to Pakistan for an estimated $160 million, the Bush administration informed Congress on Monday.

Islamabad has requested for a possible sale of Harris high frequency/very high frequency radio systems and other logistics services including ancillary equipment, a notification from Pentagon said.

"This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that continues to be a key ally in the global war on terrorism," the Pentagon told Congress. The radios will enable Pakistan to improve its capability to provide current and updated intelligence between patrols and higher headquarters, the statement said.

"Also, the radios will increase interoperability between Pakistan and the US and coalition forces assisting in the efforts to curtail and eliminate terrorist activities," Pentagon said. The US Department of Defence emphasised that the proposed sale of equipment "will not affect the basic military balance" in the region.

http://www.dawn.com/2006/11/21/top5.htm

which rdio system is pakistan using now......and what the india is using??

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Pentagon for sale of military equipment to Pakistan

WASHINGTON: The Bush administration has informed Congress of the possible sale of high frequency radio systems and other logistic services, including ancillary equipment, to Pakistan at an estimated cost of $160 million.

Islamabad has requested for Harris High Frequency/Very High Frequency radio systems and other logistics services including ancillary equipment, a notification from the Pentagon said.

“This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign policy and national security of the United States by helping to improve the security of a friendly country that continues to be a key ally in the global war on terrorism,” the Pentagon informed Capitol Hill, the Press Trust of India reported.

“The radios will enable Pakistan to improve its capability to provide current and updated intelligence between patrols and higher headquarters. They will also increase inter-operability between Pakistan and the US and coalition forces assisting in the efforts to eliminate terrorist activities,” the Pentagon said. The radio systems will include 1,558 20-Watt High Frequency (HF) man packs, 2,188 20-Watt HF vehicular systems, 175 150-Watt HF vehicular systems, ancillary equipment, spare and repairs parts and other support equipment.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2006\11\21\story_21-11-2006_pg7_11

What comms gear did they have previously?

Also do the army have comms gear at section level?

You're the expert, I was hoping you would give us a detailed analysis. :P

Well I don't know what kit they have!!!!!

Everything I ever used is now technically out of date.....;)

I am just wondering how much control NCO's and officers have over their men at platoon levels???

AOA.

If anyone did not know, the information for Major Defense Sales is put online by the DSCA, a part of the US DoD. Here is the link:

www.dsca.mil

(You HAVE to put the www. or else the website will not show up.)

Best,

Falcone

Thats a pretty good link there thanks:tup:

From what i can assertain the systems being purchased are in the Falcon II range. which is also used by the US forces. Since the stated aim is for force co-operation, it would make sense. This is quite a good system. So a fair step up in capability.However......Pak already bought $68 million's worth of comm gear in 2005.....

http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/news/view_pressrelease.asp?act=lookup&pr_id=1507

Well I don't know what kit they have!!!!!

Everything I ever used is now technically out of date.....;)

I am just wondering how much control NCO's and officers have over their men at platoon levels???

Well everything that PA has at small unit level and battalion and brigade level is also fairly dated. The issue with PA always has been the mix and match. We were still using GRC/PRC sets of 60s and 70s vintage with a sprinkling of more recent stuff.

The above post about the Harris VHF radio sets is actually part of a bigger order. We have also ordered a similar number of secure radios from Harris. Combined these radios should actually provide PA units with very good communication linkages. Obviously the manpacks are for use with individual section/platoon level (depending on the requirement).

Would these radios be useful in combat against India (compared to acquisition of a dozen new tanks) or are these mostly useful in the war on terror?

These are standard infantry comms systems. So they will be invaluable in all scenarios. It will be a huge step up from the previous systems in use. (according to the data provided by BLAIN) Longer range and better reception in all weather conditions. So yes it is a force multiplier.

How many units is Pakistan buying? 160 million sounds expensive for radios.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom