Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
348 armed forces personnel committed suicide since 2014
By PTI | Published: 10th March 2017 05:28 PM |

Last Updated: 10th March 2017 05:28 PM | A+A A- |

AP10_4_2016_000284B.jpg

Indian Army.(Photo |AP)

NEW DELHI: As many as 348 armed forces personnel committed suicide since 2014, with the highest 276 from the army.

A total of eight cases of fratricide were also reported during the period, as per details given by Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre while replying to a question in the Lok Sabha.

The number of Indian Air Force personnel who committed suicide was 60 and from Navy, it was 12. The Minister said a number if officers have been trained as counsellors to provide psychological counselling to the defence personnel and their families.

Bhamre said government has taken a number of other measures including ensuring improvement in living and working conditions for the personnel to prevent cases of suicide.

Replying to a separate question, he said the Army has a shortage of 8,370 officers and 35,174 personnel in other ranks as per figures of July last year. In case of Navy, 1,332 posts of officers are lying vacant while the shortage of sailors stands at 10,982.

The IAF has a shortage of 29 officers and 9,841 airmen.

348 armed forces personnel committed suicide since 2014
By PTI | Published: 10th March 2017 05:28 PM |

Last Updated: 10th March 2017 05:28 PM | A+A A- |

AP10_4_2016_000284B.jpg

Indian Army.(Photo |AP)

NEW DELHI: As many as 348 armed forces personnel committed suicide since 2014, with the highest 276 from the army.

A total of eight cases of fratricide were also reported during the period, as per details given by Minister of State for Defence Subhash Bhamre while replying to a question in the Lok Sabha.

The number of Indian Air Force personnel who committed suicide was 60 and from Navy, it was 12. The Minister said a number if officers have been trained as counsellors to provide psychological counselling to the defence personnel and their families.

Bhamre said government has taken a number of other measures including ensuring improvement in living and working conditions for the personnel to prevent cases of suicide.

Replying to a separate question, he said the Army has a shortage of 8,370 officers and 35,174 personnel in other ranks as per figures of July last year. In case of Navy, 1,332 posts of officers are lying vacant while the shortage of sailors stands at 10,982.

The IAF has a shortage of 29 officers and 9,841 airmen.

Do you know how many pakistanis commited suicide in the same periode? serious question, cos if you think about it, the numbers are not that alarming. i mean india has about 1.4 mill armed personell right, and in 3-4 years 348 commited sucide. In norway, one of the best countries to live in, on a average 550 commit suicide every year, and we have a population of less then 5 mill.

So the number are, considering how challenging it must be to be a solidar, quit low

Last edited:
That is pretty sad!

Have said many times if Indian politicians (Ajit Devil, Manohar, Modi and all those clowns) would pay more attention to their farmers, soldiers and minorities instead of false bravado and spreading cross-border terrorism in the region, every one including India would benefit from that.

This old Sahayak system must be abolished..This is one of the main reason behind all depression within soldiers....
Can someone tell me if this system is active in Pakistan armed forces?

Let me enlighten you abit
This is your source for the first link......By Archen BaluchOccupied Baluchistan:......enough said.
While the news in the second link.....he was on leave and at home, not exactly on duty or found in the barracks with gunshot wound.
So how many in pakistan, got any numbers?

Read my edited post and for once give a serious answer to a tread that was strated by yourself.
Firstly what does it has to do with Pakistan, i merely posted from an Indian source without even adding any POV, but you want to assure yourself that India has less suicides than others....oh well wonder if that makes families of the dead soldiers any better.....

So how many in pakistan, got any numbers?
In the line of duty, NONE.

Firstly what does it has to do with Pakistan, i merely posted from an Indian source without even adding any POV, but you want to assure yourself that India has less suicides than others....oh well wonder if that makes families of the dead soldiers any better.....

Asking you a question, if you don't have the answer just say no

And we are supposed to belive that cos you said so?

Back
Top Bottom