What's new

37% of All the Illiterate Adults in the World Are Indian

Side-Winder

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
India has 287 million illiterate adults, the largest population globally and 37% of the world total, says a report by U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, also known as UNESCO.

India’s literacy rate increased by 15% between 1991 and 2006, but subsequent population growth had meant the total number of illiterate people has remained roughly the same.

India devotes around 10.5% of its total government expenditure on education. But while rich states like Kerala spend around $685 per pupil per year, in poorer states like Bihar expenditure is only around $100.

India Has World's Biggest Number of Illiterate Adults, UNESCO Says | TIME.com

UN should pour in 37% of funds it uses on education to help the humanity.

India has 287 million illiterate adults, the largest population globally and 37% of the world total, says a report by U.N. Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, also known as UNESCO.

India’s literacy rate increased by 15% between 1991 and 2006, but subsequent population growth had meant the total number of illiterate people has remained roughly the same.

India devotes around 10.5% of its total government expenditure on education. But while rich states like Kerala spend around $685 per pupil per year, in poorer states like Bihar expenditure is only around $100.

India Has World's Biggest Number of Illiterate Adults, UNESCO Says | TIME.com

In my home state kerala ,I know a guy.He is illiterate ,illiteracy is something that a rarest to rare case in kerala.But he owned
about 20 acre land.Half with rubber plantations and rest for cultivating other agriculture items.Now he has Benz car.But he dont know how to right his name.
Fact is that even if illiteracy is problem in India.Regular stereotypes and false methdology cant find real illiterate in a country like India.

seriously.... u found an illetrate in kerala.....

25% of the Indian population is still illiterate. :hitwall: That means about 380 million people!
Good thing is that 75% is literate and it is increasing. Wish us the best. :agree:

I think this no. refers to the 'older' group- too old to do much with literacy.

1991: appr. 52% literacy rate in India
2001: appr. 65% literacy rate in India
2011: appr. 75% literacy rate in India

As you can see, India is making great leaps forward....
In less than 10 years, we will have more than 80% and in 20 years more than 90%.

seriously.... u found an illetrate in kerala.....

that man has now 88 years old.very old generation.His sons are engineer , doctor etc.Old illiterate people can see some parts of kerala.But it is a rarest case.

A literate bad guy is a thousand times worse than an illiterate one.....literacy is not a scale of judging a human....education is!
India defines literacy as the ability to read and write for a person aged 7 or above ....pretty similar to UNICEF’s definition.
I have personally experienced that it is extremely easy to fudge data at panchayat level surveys while volunteering for Rotary Club.
I'm not comfortable with the definition at all:angry:

India's literacy rate is around 75% and it will be more than 80% in next 5 years.

1991: appr. 52% literacy rate in India
2001: appr. 65% literacy rate in India
2011: appr. 75% literacy rate in India

As you can see, India is making great leaps forward....
In less than 10 years, we will have more than 80% and in 20 years more than 90%.

No one believes those fake stats.

The average Indian is extremely dumb. The numbers don't match what we see with our own eyes.

It's a clear fact UN should give more funds to India since India have largest number of illiterates.

Now I think religious education in madrasa is not qualified to be educated.

Back
Top Bottom