What's new

6 American troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Six Americans have been killed in a helicopter crash in southern Afghanistan, Fox News confirms.

One person on board the aircraft was injured and survived, two U.S. defense officials told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record.

In Washington, an official originally said the helicopter had experienced engine failure before the crash, but later said that it was unclear whether that was the case.

The service members were part of the International Security Assistance Force.

NATO says there is currently no fighting in the area.

"The cause of the crash is under investigation, however initial reporting indicates there was no enemy activity in the area at the time," a NATO statement said.

The deputy governor of southern Zabul province, Mohammad Jan Rasoolyar, said a NATO helicopter crashed in the remote district of Shajau and U.S. officials later confirmed that Zabul was the location of the U.S. crash.

According to Reuters, the incident is the largest death toll to hit the international force in months.

Aircraft crashes are not uncommon in Afghanistan.

The worst such incident was in August 2011, when the Taliban shot down a transport helicopter, killing all 38 people on board including 25 U.S. special operations forces, Reuters reported.

About 84,000 NATO-led troops are serving in Afghanistan, including about 60,000 from the U.S. That number is expected to be reduced to about 10,000 by 2015, the report said.

This year, 109 members of the U.S. military have died in Afghanistan, out of a total of 139 members of the coalition.

The death toll has dropped significantly since the coalition handed over responsibility for security to Afghan forces last summer and coalition troops are now training and assisting.

By comparison, 394 foreign troops died last year, including 297 Americans.

Fox News' Conor Powell and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click for more from Reuters.
external-link.png

6 American troops killed in Afghanistan helicopter crash | Fox News

I wonder if there are any monuments in Afghanistan to the foreign Soldiers, NGO workers who have helped to rebuild Afghanistan?

Are there editorials in the Afghan newspapers or stories that capture the humanity and sacrifice of the people who came from thousands of miles away from their families and homes and sometimes ended up paying the ultimate price to give Afghans a better future?

Are these people the subject of parlor room conversations? Do teachers discuss their contribution in classes.

Do people name their kids after them? For example after the first gulf war Bush was a popular baby name in Kuwait (even for girls).

If someone has pictures or links I'd appreciate references.

I wonder if there are any monuments in Afghanistan to the foreign Soldiers, NGO workers who have helped to rebuild Afghanistan?

Are there editorials in the Afghan newspapers or stories that capture the humanity and sacrifice of the people who came from thousands of miles away from their families and homes and sometimes ended up paying the ultimate price to give Afghans a better future?

Are these people the subject of parlor room conversations? Do teachers discuss their contribution in classes.

Do people name their kids after them? For example after the first gulf war Bush was a popular baby name in Kuwait (even for girls).

Lovely story, but US is in Afghanistan for their own interest.

although i salute their great sacrifice, then we must admit that they are first of all fighting for the interest of the US government and not for the Afghan Government.

Yes Afghan newspapers often make programs of how soldiers helped the local community, and yes there are memorials in different parts of the country for those country which had soldiers in the area.

6 crusader pigs less from this world :yahoo:
A man should never celebrate it's enemies death, show some respect, that's honor.

RIP
6 crusader pigs less from this world :yahoo:
It's highly inappropriate language for dead soldier!:hitwall: Remember these are the same pigs your govt. has given licence to bust your a$$ (read drone attacks) for few bucks and free grants.

Lovely story, but US is in Afghanistan for their own interest.

although i salute their great sacrifice, then we must admit that they are first of all fighting for the interest of the US government and not for the Afghan Government.

Yes Afghan newspapers often make programs of how soldiers helped the local community, and yes there are memorials in different parts of the country for those country which had soldiers in the area.

Would it be possible to get some references (Farsi, English articles are fine, pictures too), I'd like to add them to my notes. Thanks.

humanity??sacrifice??those are big words

Afghan Civilians | Costs of War
Afghanistan civilian casualties | News | theguardian.com
Karzai accuses U.S. of civilian deaths in November drone strike - latimes.com
‘Drone strikes killed more civilians than publicly acknowledged’ – UN investigator — RT News
http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R41084.pdf

Back
Top Bottom